Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Emma steam locomotive build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Emma steam locomotive build   Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 pm

...But not for me.

Occassionally people ask me to do little jobs for them, repair, rebuilds etc. Haven't done very much for a few years but someone has asked me to build them a Regner Emma kit in time for RailExpo.

So I thought I'd share the build with you. This will be the 4th Emma (Regner basic series) type loco I've built but the first of the new (2010 upgraded type).
The major difference from the original version is the new cylinders. Gone are the tedious pistons with Teflon tape and now too the valve rods have rigid Teflon seals.

Here we are on day one.

This is what happens when you open the box and unwrap everything. All the bags are numbered in accordance with each section and pictures in the manual.

The second thing to do was to repaint the body. The owner didn't like the supplied 'Thomas Tank' blue.

Here are the new cylinders. You can see the new style seals.

Finished cylinders

Teflon tape is still used in some places, notably to pack the cylinder/piston rod.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:08 am

Really looking forward to following this one Carl

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:04 am

Quote :
So I thought I'd share the build with you

Good thinking! I'm very curious to this project.
Are these kits hard to build for a non-technician or are they OK as long as you follow the instructions? Are the instructions easy to follow for a dummy?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:13 am

The kits are not quite for dummies although any average modeller could assemble a kit.
Seeing what you have built on here Paul I think you'd be fine.

A basic understanding of how a G scale live steam loco works is quite important even if just to get the safety parts right.

The instructions are not difficult to follow even though they are all in German. There are good picture sequences and numbered exploded drawings with matching parts lists for each section. There are no English translations for this available from Regner but I think Martin's models in the UK may have some.

All the items are ready painted and only hand tools are required to complete this kit. You are even supplied with a couple of miniature spanners and an allen key. There is no soldering required but some delicate pipe bending and of course the famous Teflon tape can cause a little concern.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Some more work today.

Turret valve faces have to be polished smooth.
I use cutting oil and 1000 grade paper on a piece of glass and then just finish off without the paper.

The turret valve is a steam reversing switch that allows some basic degree of speed control.

Getting the wheels quartered can be tedious. I have tried many contraptions but resort back to eyes and a simple ruler.
The Regner wheels are mounted on the axle just with grub screw.

At this point I can't do anymore to the running gear as unusually for Regner I am minus 6 special screws in the kit. A telephone call to Germany tomorrow.... scratch

The footplate like everything else is heavily painted and has all the holes cut, drilled and tapped.

A start made with the boiler. Note it is brass and not copper. On other forums this causes much excitement from the armchair enthusiasts.....
Regulator and steam pipe fiited. This passes through a separate tube in the boiler and is not superheated in the burner tube like Accucraft.
The other fittings are for the water level tube. This necessitates some care in alignment and Regner supply two glasses in case of error.

The manifold on top of the boiler is excellent for all the plumbing and there are at least 2 spare holes for accessories. Also on this model there is another M6 tapped hole on the side of the boiler and with no reference in the instructions. This is new and doesn't appear on older models. ....mmm study

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Great progress!

It seams you are not the only one with missing screws. On Schienendampf.com somebody is building the 2010 Emma and is missing screws also. He also encounters problems with the cabin that does not fits on the boiler and some other parts that are not fitting.

You wrote you are building it for someone else but in time for the RailExpo; are you gonna bring it with you?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:52 pm

That's funny....someone else building an Emma with missing screws. Not the same ones as mine. He says the chassis was all ok.

I haven't got to the gas tank and the cab yet. Shocked

It will be at Railexpo if I finish it and I expect the owner will want to see it run.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:17 pm

No reply from Regner in Bavaria but it is a public holiday as here tomorrow.

Neverless I managed to cobble together some screws for the motion.

First a bit more work on the boiler.

Means of aligning the water level fittings, 5mm brass rod saves on the glass!

Finished with glass in situ. I'm fitting a whistle to this one too.

Smokebox end with lubricator plumbed in.

Back to the chassis and all the motion fitted grace to robbing Peter for some screws.
.....and a first trial on compressed air...well very lightly compressed air from a bicycle pump.
You can feel the flats spots this way and I have one running forwards so some very slight valve gear adjustment is required.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:23 am

Paulus wrote:
Great progress!

It seams you are not the only one with missing screws. On Schienendampf.com somebody is building the 2010 Emma and is missing screws also. He also encounters problems with the cabin that does not fits on the boiler and some other parts that are not fitting.

Not so great progress now.

Heute wollte ich das Gehäuse montieren und musste feststellen das der Gastank zu hoch und zu breit ist.
To quote from the German forum above.

Yes the Gas tank is to high and too wide.

I can lower it but I can't make it narrower to fit between the cab side and the boiler..... Neutral

I will have to contact Regner and get them to offer a solution like a smaller gas tank.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Ah...all is not lost.

After I sent an email to Regner in bestest Bavarian (just add 'en' to every word... Laughing ) I had a thought. drunken

What about other Regner models that I have and whether the tanks are all the same.

After investigation I found that the tank on Hanna was slightly narrower with smaller feet and shorter in length and will fit in the new Emma. The gas tank for Emma will happily fit in Hanna as there is more room. cheers

I will need to drill new mounting holes of course but all is gute.

Interestingly the footplate width for Hanna is 100mm, for the new Emma it is 93mm and for the old Emma model it is 87mm.

A tale of two tanks:

Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:40 am

An Interesting project Carl I am following it with interest.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:42 pm

No reply from Bavaria but I've ordered some replacement parts and will sort out the disputes later.

So more progress slowly, lots of plumbing completed and the errant tank replaced with the smaller one which still only just fits between the boiler and the cab sides. As such it is mounted at a slight angle.

A tip for small bore copper pipe bending is to use a length of greased bowden type cable inside.

The huge Regner pressure gauges look out place so I mounted this one flat which looks slightly better.
I've tried smaller gauges but most (except Acme) are not robust enough.

That completes (hopefully) all the plumbing. Nearly ready for a steaming.....
I'll probably make another trial on compressed air first and check all the joints!

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:03 am

Happened across this on French evilbay...

Regner Cab/Footplate

Don't know if it's of any interest Carl?

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:07 am

And again not wishing to hijack your thread, but this Mallet live steam kit for 1200 euros.

Would it be worth someone like myself getting? It looks complex

Mallet Kit

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:23 am

Don't worry about 'hijacking'...It's all trains anyway and relevant. Very Happy

Thanks for the links.

The cab kit looks interesting. It is from the Regner Wangerooger 030T. I'll keep an eye on that for 50 euros might be worth it but not much more. I could shoe-horn that on to an Accucraft chassis.... Laughing
I wonder what he did with the rest of the loco.

I wouldn't touch the mallet kit IMO. I don't where it is from exactly. Maybe an old kit by Laluque or something more recent by Atelier Vaporiste, I know he was producing a mallet kit a while back.
It says "origine ateliers du chateau d'eau!" which could be either as AV bought the old kits/patterns from Laluque.

There are lots of whitemetal castings which scare me...!

The kit has already been started too so someone else's hand me downs!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:13 am

A little more testing this morning.

Stirrup pump testing.....

I found a good use for the outlet on the boiler side.

At least the whistle works...

This is a good way to see major leaks (which I had 2 of) but is not foolproof as a number of joints are reliant on PTFE packing which in certain situations doesn't always seal totally until hot and wet.

A steam-up test could be possible this afternoon.... cheers
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Impatience...gulped down dinner and back in the workshop!

Here is the first firing.

And very pleasing, just a tiny leak that the twist of a spanner resolved.
I still think there is still a slight flat spot but I'll wait until after a few runs for that.

Just the radio control to fit when it arrives from Hobbyking and the body to put on!
Back to top Go down
markbiff

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Very Happy very nice
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 am

Great to see it 'alive'!
That was a fast build all together.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Paulus wrote:
Great to see it 'alive'!
That was a fast build all together.

I haven't quite finished yet but another weekend (without domestic distractions...) should do it if the RC stuff comes from Hobbyking.

As with anything one constructs in scratch or kit it is satisfying to see a conclusion but even more so with a 'live' locomotive be it diesel or steam.

One feels a bit like Dr Frankenstein sometimes.....creating living monsters. affraid
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Seemingly not a lot more progress since Tuesday, still waiting for Hobbyking stuff but found another good rc model shop in Evreux www.rc-boutique.com Laughing Rolling Eyes No

Started fitting rc equipment commencing with the servo for the turret valve.

I made a tray for the battery pack and receiver to help protect them from the oil and heat that emmanates from the boiler and footplate.

This picture shows the quality of the Regner parts. Compare these frames to Accucraft for example.

The rc mounting parts and hardware are all included in the kit now. Just add servos, rx and battery.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Throttle servo and link. With micro servos, 2.4Ghz RC miniature receivers and small battery packs there will be a lot of room in the cab.

Some more plumbing that I forgot, water refill. I wanted this on the outside on the footplate so some bending required to get round and under the tank side.

All ready for another bench test in steam with the radio gear.

I might even get on the track later..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:44 pm

And on the track she went.... cheers

Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Nice work - who is the lucky recipient then, or is it a State Secret? Cool

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Not so much of a secret, Jean-Claude came to collect his new locomotive today and you may see it again at Railexpo.

So it was finally completed 15 days after opening the packaging. No more running unfortunately as I wanted to keep it clean and pristine. Rolling Eyes

A rather sad collection of empty bags!

I still had the battery to fit between the chassis frames at this stage hence the trailing lead at the back.

The receiver switch and charge socket were mounted onto a brass fabricated plate mounted behind the cab steps.

Fully completed!

Meet my older sister!

The new one is bigger in most dimensions than my old one.

...And considerably cleaner inside!

As said already, modern miniaturised technology and building experience permits less clutter in the cab.

The cab interior was not originally this colour but blue as the exterior was.

My attempt at some creative photography... Question

Last pic of this machine. I can now put the tools away on this one.

What's the next project....mmm... I think I'll refurbish my Regner Emma.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Today at 12:45 pm

Back to top Go down

Emma steam locomotive build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Model locomotives and rolling stock-
Jump to: