Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Again 2 Ebay steamers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paulus

PostSubject: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:33 am

During my on-going internet searches (read daydreaming) on live steamers I'll keep on bugging you with things I found. Twisted Evil

Beck live steam locomotive on Ebay Deutschland (incomplete, missing a gastank):
BECK Dampflok "Anna"
It's at 146,- euro now

and a MDT Stainz for "Wiederaubau" (that's a challange)
MDT Stainz
It's at 187,- euro now

I'm curious what that BECK engine will bring up. Is it a good brand?
I first thought this would be something for a reasonable handy, low budget starter as me (considering if I buy it I first go to Dusseldorf and see it run). Does not sound to difficult to replace a gastank and it said it can take hills...
On the other hand I don't like the servo/throttle on the dome, don't fancy the overall look and considering a gastank will have it's price too I stick to my plan to save enough for the Accucraft Raghlet chassis...

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Paul and others wishing to get in to live steam cheaply.

MSS similar to but improved on Mamod are now available in 45mm gauge as well as 32mm
The standard loco kit costs £160 from PPS Steam models

If you don't like wobbly oscillating cylinders you could cover them or or make skirts like a tram engine.
There are a range of accessories and improvements like gas burners to replace the tablets.

Or....

A Regner Max on page 9 of the Catalogue.
Start price for a kit is 249€.
This is a spirit fired model with an oscillating cylinder but gear driving a single axle.
Ugrades (inc. gas) and fittings are pretty much endless from the Regner catalogue.

I'm thinking about one of these for the 'Momi Module' but I would need it to be radio controlled.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm not too fond of the Mamod/PPS engines. I heard/read to much negative experiences from people about those, even the gasfired ones.
But that Regner Max is indeed a very interesting item together with your idea you mentioned with the PPS to convert it into a tram engine. Would it be strong enough to pull some cars?

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Just remembered Garrett advised me the Regner Max in 2010 also, when I was first thinking of starting once with live steam and ask for opinions on the: MLS forum.
I completely forgot about the Regner Max untill I'm Googling on it and find my old question on MLS... scratch Proves again I did need my holidays vacation very hard!

The Regner is getting more and more interesting.

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:10 pm

I just emailed Regner if the Max kit is still available. According to their stock-list it's out of stock but soon available. The list is from august 2011 however. Neutral

Something like this RTM engine nr 37 is one of the ideas I have in mind for it. Only than with a standing kettle.
Plans and ideas are taking shape so let's hope they still make it.

It's Christmas, so I don't suspect a fast reply... santa

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:38 am

I like the looks. It seems quite small- is it?

Have I ever shown you my steamer-to-be? I'm on the wait list for this (three year wait):
Image hosted by servimg.com

Here's the prototype:
Image hosted by servimg.com

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:51 am

Nice! Is it some sort of logging engine? I like the look of the cylinder at the outside.

Three years waiting list??? Hopefully the Regner will be available sooner...
What brand is it?

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Paulus wrote:
Nice! Is it some sort of logging engine? I like the look of the cylinder at the outside.

What brand is it?
The prototype was made by a company called Byers and sold as an industrial locomotive. I have no idea how many were actually built. The model is known as a "Cricket" and has been built by various vendors. It is currently built in the USA by Bellflower Locomotive Works.

Paulus wrote:
Three years waiting list???
The wait simply allows ample time to save up the finances for the purchase. Very Happy

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:32 pm

The Beck dampflok "Anna' (see first post) is sold for 306,99 euro... Quite a price for an engine that was bought by the owner in the seventies and is missing parts, like the gas tank.

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Still no answer on my first email to Regner...
Will send a new one. Neutral

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Hello Paul-

Unfortunately, Regner do not retrun e-mail. I have e-mailed them both in English and German and have never received a reply. Dad buy a Max but has never fired it, and I forgot to even look at it when I visited him. I did give him a loop of LGB track tho!

Bill, not to be a downer, but is the Cricket even made anymore? There was an announcement last year that the plug had been pulled yet again. Edit, I see yet another is trying their hand at making Crickets... This is builder #4 or so now, good luck, he has not even fully updated his website. http://www.cricketlivesteammotor.com/Home_Page.html

The MkII Mamod is supposedly a better loco from many reports.

The old MSS/Mamod locos have problems, but can be built to better standards, which I have done with mine. Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, true, but at least it can be built to your wishes or standard. The buffer beams, frames, and bodywork (for now, that is about to change) and a few screws are the only original bits left of the locomotive I got back in the 1980s.

My thoughts today regarding live steam would be to look at Roundhouse. Built by a company in the Western world, proven for 30 years with service and parts, but unfortunately they are all gas fired and no longer meths/alcohol. For me, a 32mm gauge Millie converted to Meths (I have checked, it can be done) would be perfection in live steam.Very Happy

Edit II, I forgot about that MLS thread (I don't frequent there much anymore), and I forgot about the grades on your railway. A Max or Mamod would probably not be good due to grades. Look at the mid range Regner locos, the Lumberjack was an excellent suggestion.

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi Garrett!
Mmm... that's not very customer friendly from Regner if they don't bother to reply...
Tell's me the after service will not be that good than either?

Have others the same experience?
Why on earth do they put a contact form on their site than? Or state that you must contact them with any questions you may have scratch

In these days of recession you should be glad people want to buy your stuff, even when it's not their most expensive model, but perhaps he is only interested in big spending clients.
It's a real bummer... Crying or Very sad

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Dunno, but dad had to buy the loco from seller in the US with a mark up due to no reply from them directly.

Unfortunately, many do not reply to web requests, a failure in these modern times. Who writes letters or makes international phone calls anymore?

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:40 pm

This is what they say on their website:

Emails, die keinen Betreff haben oder irgendwie sonderbar erscheinen, werden evtl. gelöscht. Dies kann auch durch Programme (sog. Spamfilter) passieren und muß nicht durch uns erfolgt sein. Man sollte sich nicht 100%ig darauf verlassen, daß eine Email immer ankommt. Bitte bedenken Sie das. Am besten nutzen Sie unser Kontaktformular.

And that's what I did, used the contact form...

Well, I just wait. Perhaps they're off skiing Razz
If they don't respond to the email I guess I can always phone them.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Paul and others,

Regner are very intermittent at replying. They do eventually even months after as the case with the Emma I built for Jean-Claude. I only recently had a letter of the copied e mail I sent in October with an apology and a replacement set of screws. The advice I asked for was less forthcoming though.

If you have an urgent request the best soultion I found is fax or telephone. I they seem to respond much quicker by fax than e mail.

IMO they are nice people and will help as much as possible but they are still a small family run German company exporting all over the world to demanding customers.
Yes I think you're right and sometimes they forget the 'small guy' when they often sell several expensive locomotives to one customer.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks Carl! I now again remember you getting the replacements from them.

As said, I'll just wait some more for an answer or otherwise call them to ask for information.
I noticed Atelier Vaporiste had the build version of the Max mentioned on their site. Don't know if that means they have it in stock in fact or not, but it looks like it is available than.
Have not yet seen it on Dutch sites though.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:12 pm

I would be very surprised if Atelier Vaporiste has it in stock. As with many other dealers and resellers they keep only a few limited examples of the whole range and rely upon their good contacts and preferable rates to get stock quickly from the manufacturers.

It maybe worth contacting him or another dealer with good service in Austria is Lotuslok.

They also do some exquisite models of their own but at exquisite prices too!
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Paul, "Strikalite" advertise the Regner Max kit at £249. I do know the proprietor so if I can help please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:22 am

...Discount for two models....? Laughing

I'm after one as well for the 'Momi Normand'.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
...Discount for two models....? Laughing

I'm after one as well for the 'Momi Normand'.

Sounds interesting! We could give that a try?
Lotuslok is moving at the moment to a different location according to their website.

David Grantham wrote:
Paul, "Strikalite" advertise the Regner Max kit at £249. I do know the proprietor so if I can help please let me know.

David, thanks for the offer! Much appreciated. However Strikalite seems to have the Euro converted into Pounds on 1:1 base. The kit will cost than 301,94 Euros instead of the normal Regner price of 249,- Euro. That's enough price difference for me to continue to search for it over here...

Last edited by Paulus on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Spule 4 wrote:

The MkII Mamod is supposedly a better loco from many reports.

Edit II, I forgot about that MLS thread (I don't frequent there much anymore), and I forgot about the grades on your railway. A Max or Mamod would probably not be good due to grades. Look at the mid range Regner locos, the Lumberjack was an excellent suggestion.

Thanks Garrett (I just noticed your second edit!).
The Mamod MKII seemed to be an interesting one as I found some info on it on Forrest Classics Improvements; Butane/Propane gas fired, silver soldered and larger improved boiler construction with re-heat tubes, Safety valve release pressure 40psi, cab sighted steam regulator, improved forward and reserve lever. All that for a price of 239 pounds... Sounds very fair for a gas fired engine.
But when it can't take or have difficulty taking grades it's useless on my layout... Crying or Very sad
You think the Max will have difficulties with grades also than? It's geared...

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:27 pm

A modified Mamod can be a powerful loco, but the problem is control on grades. Even with mine having a throttle and the reverser, it can still "run away" with ease.

Max-My fear is yes due to running reports and the single acting single cylinder. Again, dad has not fired his to know this first hand, but many have problems with them outdoors even due to the burner operation and draft issues. Dad's plan was to run it like our other steam models in the basement of the house.

Regner's intent of the Max is a live steam model, not garden railway model if that makes sense?

For geard operations from Regner, I would look at a Willi, Chaloner, Lumberjack, etc for better railway operation. They can all be had for around $1000 US, about the same price of an entry level Roundhouse loco. I probably have that amount of money (drivers, lubricator, boiler, fittings, burner, yet to be installed, replacement body, brass details, etc.) in my Mamod if I were to factor in the purchace price back in 1985 or so.

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Roundhouse basic series slip eccentrics cost around £570.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Paul and others,

Regner are very intermittent at replying. They do eventually even months after as the case with the Emma I built for Jean-Claude. I only recently had a letter of the copied e mail I sent in October with an apology and a replacement set of screws. The advice I asked for was less forthcoming though.

If you have an urgent request the best soultion I found is fax or telephone. I they seem to respond much quicker by fax than e mail.

IMO they are nice people and will help as much as possible but they are still a small family run German company exporting all over the world to demanding customers.
Yes I think you're right and sometimes they forget the 'small guy' when they often sell several expensive locomotives to one customer.

I´ve got several locos from Regner, which with an exception, I´ve alway bought through a trader. Last year, I did however drive 3 hrs to Bavaria to pick up the ÖBB loco they had on special offer (I think someone must have cancelled) and they couldn´t have been more charming. Now, when I see Mr Regner at shows he always stops and talks. But it´s a small business, and he has quite a lot to do, and it´s just possible that he considers he sometimes doesn´t always keep up with his correspondence.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Again 2 Ebay steamers   Today at 2:20 pm

Back to top Go down

Again 2 Ebay steamers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: