Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

RailExpo 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:17 pm

It'll be good see you twice in one year Brian. A pity we couldn't have been able to bring the MOMI modules together at Railexpo.

For onward transport I think the easiest would be to take the metro at Montparnasse line 12 and 13 to Hausseman (Gare) St Lazare and then take a surburban train to Pontoise. It's not far and still within the Paris zone (5) system. There are other ways to go including arriving at Cergy le Haut which is the end of the RER line A3.
I would say Pontoise is slightly nearer and easier to walk to the exhibition place, 10-15mins or a local bus.
You might get free or half price travel for OAP's in Paris, check the RATP website.

Accomodation as per the links in previous posts. There are two hotels within easy walking distance and of others about 10-15 mins walk.

We have really all the physical help needed to operate the layout so just come and enjoy. If you can bring something to run all the better.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 am

Thanks Carl

I've booked into the Campanile for Friday and Saturday nights.

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 am

As last year, we will pop in on the Saturday on our way South...

Marmite again?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 am

Yes please.... I love you
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 am

I'm very sorry to say this but despite my earlier promise I had to deside not to come to France this year.
I've send you a PM Carl. Hopefully next year I'll be there again.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:33 pm

PM received and replied to.

So if you can't come your trains could......We'll look after them. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm

That's true... How can we realize that? Post them?

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:43 am

Carl,

I need to get my locos packed for the journey to Pontoise, with a kindly volunteer carrier.

If you can accomodate I will bring a tank loco and a bogie diesel both set up for 45mm. Or do you already have a surfeit of locos ?

Can you remind me of the back to back setting for the 45mm exhibition track.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Test run for RailExpo after an intermediate service. I added a 2.4Mg receiver, a chuff pipe , removed "les vis tete fromage" and added a few detailes like lubricators etc.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Your locos will be made very welcome David with or without cheesey heads.

So that's about 14 steam locos to appear now - excellent.
It promises to be a good show.

Your garden railway looks very neat too David.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:06 am

Tx Carl.

Would a b2b of 40mm be about right, I cant find any standards anywhere for "G"
scale and LGB, if that is what your switches are.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:29 pm

David, 40mm seems just a bit tight. Most of my LGB wheelsets measure about 40.5 with some IP engineering metal wheelsets at 41mm.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Live steam at Railexpo.

There is a possibility that there may not be as much live steam at Railexpo as I anticipated earlier this year.

The passing away of Gilles Barret and the withdrawl of Atelier Vaporiste compounding that situation.

It is with that in mind that I shall be focussing more on providing an entertaining 'live' show of steam and of course a bit of diesel rather than too much electric. There will be some of course but as a second or third choice of running.
The layout will be totally non-scenic and just for 'playing' trains. Next year things maybe rather different (see scenic modules threads...)

So I'm gearing up for this at the moment.

I will have 9 steam locomotives available:

Regner - Max, Fanny, Emma, Hanna, Chaloner, Chiemseebahn, Reppingen - EKB20, Accucraft - Edrig and Caradoc.

I will take all 3 diesels (it is unlikely that a 4th will be ready).

David you are bringing your Roundhouse 'Lady'.

Troy you are bringing your 'Superior' and 'Excelsior'. and diesel ?

So that makes 12 steam locos plus 3 or 4 diesels.

I would like to try and have 2 steam and or diesels running at any one time if possible which will mean each locomotive running for about an hour each day. Then electric as a third train running.

I will keep the passing loop clear this year. It worked quite well on Sunday at St Aubin - thanks Troy.

Also my Fanny ran about an hour at Saint Aubin (make what you like of that innocent statement....) on just one filling of gas.

Is anyone else coming and bringing a steam locomotive to run?
Brian are you bringing your Edrig on the train?
I also understand there is a cracking collection in Alsace that would like to visit Paris I'm sure.... Laughing )

There may also be a few other French owned machines turn up on the day.

If you do come with a loco to run then entry and lunch will be paid for.

Please don't bring any gas, water or oil or tools. All those will be in abundance. A choice of water will be demineralised or filtered (Normandy) rain. Plus gas either butane or butane-propane mix. And oil too, either the Regner treacle or lower viscosity Roundhouse type more suited to Accucraft.

I will have 3 rakes of short wheelbase wagons to run so if you wish to bring some stock feel free but I would avoid large bogie items. The radii are 75 and 90cms.

I think this year will be the best and busiest ever given the size of the halls and the accessibility.

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:32 am

Hi Carl,

I'll leave others to comment about your Fanny, but I'd be happy to bring the Edrig particularly if I don't have to lug the gas/water/oil paraphernalia. It now has 2.4G r/c and a steam whistle. I'll leave all my electric locos at home.

Will you be sending entry badges? I shan't be there til the Friday, or do I, as in the past blag my way in?

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:25 am

Good that's 13 possible steam locos.

No need at all to blague your way in. There never should have been.

I don't usually get badges until I arrive on Thursday.

The badges are (for all exhibitors) primarily intended for those who arrive on Thursday to set up and leave after dismantling on Sunday.
There are nominally 3 badges including me but that can be a little meaningless. Whether you have 'badge' or not just denotes if you are representing or presenting the stand and thus can arrive by the back door.

There is no privilege with parking or other facilities.

As I said before, ALL those coming with locos to run will get free entry and lunch.
If you are stuck outside with the visitors and I am inside then call me by phone and I will come and meet you with a complimentary ticket or I'll tell you how you can get in.
If by chance you had to pay for whatever reason it will be refunded.

What time do you expect to arrive on Friday?

I think I need to make a list of expected people and times....I very easily get lost with these matters.... scratch
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Carl
I arrive in Montparnasse at 10.46 so allowing an hour to get up to Pontoise I'll be there around Midday!
Cheers

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:12 pm

I will make a note Brian and watch out for you. Give me call on my mobile when you get to Pontoise station and we'll get you some lunch ready.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Fantastic will do!

Cheers

Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 pm

I'll be bringing ..
2x live steam
1x live diesel

..and some biscuits Very Happy
I'll bring the rollers as well and just keep things steaming away all day.I like it that way.I love the interaction with the people attending the shows.I think it helps that I don't have a clue what they're saying Embarassed

I'll speak to you you hopefully in person next week and try and sort the best time of arrival for you.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Brian...any information on the steam whistle will be gratefully received... Wink
Look forward to meeting you!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Troy

The original thread was back in 08 Cab and Whistle for Edrig

The whistle was from DJB Engineering in Bracknell UK but now seems to be in Newark? DJB Engineering

Having taken a closer look, have doubled in price since Bracknell days !!

Last edited by GWhizz on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Price update from DJB site)
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Carl, I will arrive at about 7pm Thursday, be available all Fiday and Saturday and depart Sunday am.

Can you advise on best directions from Gare du Nord and do you know if Taxis are available from Pontoise as I found it difficult to locate a taxi at Villebon.

Finally are battery diesels banned or allowed ?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 pm

GAS......

If anyone who is coming to Railexpo could bring a standard gas adaptor for the CG3500 butane/propane screw cans I would be grateful. This is an item that Roundhouse usually supply with all their locos. I know most of you use them.

I have 2 but with the intensity of the running it would be prudent to have a spare.

Also I'm investigating the use of the MSF-1A/CP250 220gram gas canisters. These are ridiculously cheap when bought bulk.
They have a sort of wide bayonet means of attachment around the top and are self sealing.

However trying to get a vertical adaptor and tap to use with our locos is nigh on impossible...until now. I found a place on ebay in China (where else....!!!) and have ordered an adaptor I just need a suitable tap now to fit the adaptor.

I will let you know what happens.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Carl, I will arrive at about 7pm Thursday, be available all Fiday and Saturday and depart Sunday am.

Can you advise on best directions from Gare du Nord and do you know if Taxis are available from Pontoise as I found it difficult to locate a taxi at Villebon.

Finally are battery diesels banned or allowed ?

Hello David,

Battery diesels are certainly not banned and will be warmly welcomed....At least they don't run on gas.

Taxis at the GDN are easy to locate. Just underneath and to the side of the Eurostar terminal. Not cheap though, expect to pay 35-40 euros.

There is a quite a reasonable direct suburban train to Pontoise RER from the GDN which takes about 40 mins. I think they depart over on platform 30 (surface) and beyond. The exhibition hall and Campanile hotel 300 metres further is about 10 - 15 mins walk from Pontoise RER. There is a bus service no.s 30 (best) and 36 and get off at Plateau St Martin, a 3 minute journey. But it will be dark at that time.

I will probably still be in the exhibition hall at 7pm and if you need I could pick you up at the station and take you to the Campanile or at the very least meet you somewhere.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Carl, that's a kind offer but logistically would be easier if I could get a taxi from Pontoise RER to the Campanile. What I could n't figure at Villebon was how to get a taxi. There were plenty of taxis around the RER but all appeared to be prebooked with none queueing on a "rank"

Is this normal for France, so do you call a number rather than pick one up on the street rank ?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi Carl
Are either of these gas adaptors what you're looking for?

I can bring them both "sans" gas in ay case cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2012   Today at 3:38 pm

Back to top Go down

RailExpo 2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Events-