Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Nearly forgot...

Happy Groundhog day.... (jour de la marmotte). It was sunny so six more weeks of winter yet to come.

And 'la Chandeleur' here but very few (student) people I had today knew anything other than it was a day for crêpes!

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 pm

With all the lights present for the television cameras, the little bugger couldn't help but see his shadow. In the meantime, we are having one of the mildest winters I can remember. So I'll take another 6 weeks of this. À la Chandeleur, l'hiver cesse ou reprend vigueur.

BTW, there was a US Navy Seaplane tender in World War II named USS Chandeleur . I'd be willing to bet you La Marine Nationale never named one of their ships "Groundhog Day".

Image hosted by servimg.com

Crepes sound tastier than marmottes What a Face

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)

Last edited by KleineDicke on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Never heard of it untill I watched the Groundhog Day movie years ago. Always thought it was a US / Canada thing. Do they celbrate it in France also?

Well... Happy Grounhog day then! jocolor

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Actually, the roots of groundhog day are European. It is related to German Candlemas traditions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day

BTW, Punxatawney Phil ("The Groundhog"- the one in the movie) saw his shadow, but he was in the minority; most other groundhogs didn't.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Interesting... Bummer it was a sunny day today I guesss than... I was ready for spring...

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:40 pm

I decided last evening to have crêpes in celebration of La Chandeleur. So I stopped at a restaurant here called La Madeleine, which is a chain that bills itself as a french cafe and bakery. They are a fairly good boulangerie and patisserie, so I had hopes for a good crêpe. My wife wanted a slight modification to the filling of her crepe as described on the menu, but the waiter told us they couldn't make any changes because the crepes were "ready-made". So much for the french cafe part, and I wasn't going to pay $10 for a crêpe that wasn't freshly made. Anyway, I left without my crêpes.

I miss France. Sad

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Paulus wrote:
Never heard of it untill I watched the Groundhog Day movie years ago. Always thought it was a US / Canada thing. Do they celbrate it in France also?

Well... Happy Grounhog day then! jocolor

They do celebrate it France...well some do! I teach it to students but very few know anything other than it's pancake day...err désolé...crêpes.

Candlemas is 40 days after Christmas.
Other traditional names include the Feast of the Purification of the Virgin, and the Meeting of the Lord. In the Roman Catholic Church the "Feast of the Presentation of the Lord" is a Feast Day. It is one of the twelve major feasts in the Christian calendar.

Then we do the tongue twister about the Groundhog aka woodchuck.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would
if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Bill, sorry to hear about your crêppy experience. Next time you come we'll do some (well wifey will...) or there is a fantastic crêperie in Bernay about 10kms from here.

BTW that's a great photo of the ship. you could look at that for hours.
And no there is not a navire 'la groundhog'.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 pm

After I posted the photo, I noticed there's a PBY Catalina patrol bomber on her aft deck. Guess that's why they call her a seaplane tender.

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 pm

It's that time of year again - so Happy Groundhog day to one and all. Punxatawny Phil did not see his shadow today, so his prediction is for an early spring. We'll see. BTW, I heard his accuracy is 38%, about on par for weather prognosticators. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Yes it's la Chandeleur here and big fat day for pancakes...err crêpes... tongue

Nobody really celebrates the religious meaning despite this being a Catholic country.
Every year I roll out the same story to the same students who have forgotton it from last year.

No marmottes here but lots of ragondins (coypus) who also 'would chuck wood if they could'.

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:12 am

Given my previous experience obtaining crepes to celebrate la Chandeleur, I had a couple of burritos in stead; sort of a Mexican crepe. Tasty.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur   Today at 6:10 am

Back to top Go down

Groundhog, Candlemas et la Chandeleur
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: