Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

How to wire.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ustoeuro

PostSubject: How to wire.   Tue May 15, 2012 12:12 am

Hello everyone! I recently started laying track outside and have my track plan all squared away, but i do have one problem. I am using track power for the trains and do not know how to wire it all up. I will be putting rail clamps that have an attached wire terminal on to the track, so up to there I'm fine. My problem is in how much wire I use and where i put it to.

So, should I use a bus system that follows the track? Or should I just run a wire to the opposite side of the loop (the loop is only about 16 feet across)? With clamps and a small loop of track (about 45 feet) do I even need to run feeders? Also, with brass track, will 1 amp of power suffice for one engine on the line? Later on I can upgrade to 3-5 amps, or even go as far as DCC, but I am just starting out and I need good track before good power.

So, do you have any answers?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: How to wire.   Tue May 15, 2012 12:58 am

Hi

If you have a single loop of approx 16 feet diameter of brass track, a single pair of connections to your track should be sufficient, so long as all your rail joins are good. A tiny spot of graphite grease on each connector before assembly can help if the track is outside in the elements, but not essential. I run over 100 yards of track in two loops with just a single pair of contacts to each loop.

A single 1 amp controller eg LGB will be good for a single motor. If you have a single motor loco ie a Stainz 1 amp will be fine. If you have a two motor loco ie a Mallet or you want to run two locos, you will need 3 amps.

If you're serious about a move to DCC later it might be worth investing in a 5amp transformer at the outset.

Tell us a bit more about your locos and future plans and we might be able to offer more advice.

good luck

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: How to wire.   Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 am

Graphite grease is really useful if your outside liberally spread on each joint as you assemble. I have 2 loops approximately 40 to 50 meters long with only one power connection each, the cross sectional area of the rail is greater than most hook up wire anyone would use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to wire.   Today at 3:40 pm

Back to top Go down

How to wire.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: