Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

I do work for a living...and a hobby.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Just in case you wonder why I am away from the forum from time to time it is because I have to work a bit.

We had the TV cameras from 'France 3' Haute Normandie today.

http://www.pluzz.fr/jt-12-13-haute-normandie-2012-07-12-12h00.html

You have to fast forward or wait until 13.45 minutes to see me (if you want of course...) 'Cool'
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Brownie points please 'cos I watched the whole lot and very interesting too. Tried to load into Babel Fish but did nt get a translation.
Impressed with the classroom decorum and the jolly members of staff and that Stephanie was a bit nice as well.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks David, and well done for watching the whole gamut of regional news, everything from roadworks in Rouen to fat English teachers in pink T shirts!

The group that I had there (and still have) are 12 'collegiens' between 14 and 16 which is a very awkward age for both girls and boys but there are pretty good in behaviour.

At the unexpected intervention of the TV crew we were reading some role play dialogue to practise 'th' sounds. 'Hi Cathy it's my thirtieth birthday this month on Thursday the thirteenth...' etc..

Tomorrow we are going to play trains... 'been and gone'!

BTW Stéphanie is my boss..... Wink
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:56 pm

Rolling Eyes seems I can't watch it over here. Perhaps only for France?

Anyway, good to hear (read) from you Carl! Have fun with the trains!

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:10 am

Paul, are you saying that this will not run if you copy the URL into your command line on your local PC and will not run from the CGT website.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Excellent .
I showed the monsters without any pre-warning about the content.They just thought I was forcing them to watch something educational again.
Hey..that's Carl !! they all shouted.You're a star!
Nice looking classroom,nice looking boss.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:47 pm

I was looking for you in the bit about the youth Olympics...
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Paul, are you saying that this will not run if you copy the URL into your command line on your local PC and will not run from the CGT website.

The link works fine and I can see the page from France TV Pluzz. However the movie is not played in the moviewindow. There is a message; "Aucune solution d'affichage n'a été trouvée pour lire la vidéo selectioné" Sad

Admin

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:25 am

philkelly wrote:
I was looking for you in the bit about the youth Olympics...

I was there...Phil...you must have missed me going so fast.

Sorry about the link Paul. I'll see if I can record it somehow. Maybe it'll be on You Tube and go viral..... lol!

It does show up a few things though:

For sure never wear pink T shirts as they make you look fatter than you really are! Shocked

French kids can be quite nice at times but this is not normal every-day school.
This is a special 'Holiday School' with considerably smaller classes and the pupils want to be there or rather their parents want them to be there. The girl Constance interviewed in my class volunteers for everything and is very bright.

It also shows that anyone can settle in France (having arrived with very little language skills) and be part of the community.
Even with modern translation technology there is a high demand for lowly qualified native English teachers (above highly qualified non-natives). And if you are a bit of a nutcase with your teaching methods you can often find work albeit at a very modest wage. I have a renewed contract for another year now.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33 am

I supose there is no market for native Dutch language teachers...? geek

How was your day running trains? Hopefully beter than it was It was over here otherwise you had waders and an umbrella...

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:31 am

Paulus wrote:
I supose there is no market for native Dutch language teachers...? geek

How was your day running trains? Hopefully beter than it was It was over here otherwise you had waders and an umbrella...

Hi Paulus, i have a friend in France that makes a good living translating Dutch into English for business, so there is work out there.

Congratulations Carl 'Fame' at last, well got your 15 mins worth.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Interesting surname to the lady in the first segment!!! I wonder how it's pronounced!

Carl - you are explicitly banned from wearing that T shirt at any railway events

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:14 pm

It works in Texas. You look quite sharp in your pink Tee, Carl. lol!

Good looking bunch of students and I agree with David about Stephanie.
The only thing missing is a "Mind the Gap" sign on the wall.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:00 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Interesting surname to the lady in the first segment!!! I wonder how it's pronounced!
If you mean my boss it is P'tee.... Wink

GWhizz wrote:
Carl - you are explicitly banned from wearing that T shirt at any railway events
In fact I have been banned from wearing that T shirt everywhere..... except maybe the Greyhound pub in Windsor.... Embarassed

A 'mind the gap' sign would be a good. In fact some general LT posters could be interesting. Thanks for the idea Bill.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:51 pm

We've been off Inter-railing for a bit and I'm just catching up.....

Just seen the pink tee lol!

Seriously though, its great to see English taught as a living language - pity we can't teach French the same way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I do work for a living...and a hobby.   Today at 12:36 pm

Back to top Go down

I do work for a living...and a hobby.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: