Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Brittany railways

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tindaria

PostSubject: Brittany railways   Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:02 am

Hi Folks
Arrived in Brittany .We are going to buid a 16mm line (welsh narrow gauge style) Anyone in the fougere area ?????
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Steve, is that the Steve who contacted me last week?

In any case welcome to the forum.

Tell us a bit more about your plans now that you're on the "right" side of the channel Very Happy

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:27 pm

We're about 2 1/2 hrs from you. Take the the N13 from Caen and it's a straight road.

Peter Morgan (French Chuffed) is in the South of Brittany the other side of Rennes.

There are some expats around Paris who are modelling 16mm.

I have a few bits too that I keep promising to do something with.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted...with pics. Laughing
Back to top Go down
tindaria

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 am

Hi Brian

Yes i am the Steve that contacted you last week .Well i have two plans really .One is to build a quick railway on boards mounted on posts out the front of the house for when i feel the need for a quick steam up (I am getting withdrawl symptoms already from not having a line in the garden .The one in Devizes UK was quite long and used all year round).But eventually i would like a long end to end railway .we have enough space for more than a scale mile. With passing points for water and gas ,and run rounds at either end .very much a scenic railway i hope .with a bit of talyllyn /festiniog about it maybee a reasau bretton railcar in the mix as well . I see most of the railways onthe forum are guage one ,I have been looking at ebay yesterday ,Thinking about an LGB loco either a steinz or the larger 0,6,2 tank engine .Are the bachmann range of locos any good ???
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:17 am

Hi Steve, as you saw from my website, I'm quite a fan of LGB and running on 45mm track which at a notional 1meter in real life scales out at 1:22.5. (I think Gauge 1 is 1:32?)

HOWEVER if you've a load of 32mm track that you've brought from the UK there would be a quite a cost involved in starting again with new track. As you have done, plenty of people run outdoors on 32mm and if you run live steam loco's like Accucraft for example they have the option on either 32 or 45 by altering the back to back on preset dimples in the axle.

If you already have some live steamers I think also Roundhouse can adapt to 45mm if you bring them to a meet and run on my track for example. (David can you advise?)

Whilst I don't want to put you off buying LGB, the Stainz is a great little starter loco, it's probably worth considering your long term ambitions, would you go digital?, 45mm track is very expensive, etc

I can't advise on Bachmann, but others here will I'm sure.

Another thought, a bit of a long haul, but get to Paris at the end of November for the RailExpo. Carl, David (32mm) Grantham.myself, and others will be there and would love to meet and chat about your plans.

Glad you made it to the forum

Cheers

Back to top Go down
tindaria

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:34 am

Brian .

Most of my locos are live steam ,I have a locomotion hunslet cackler .a finescale pecket .a finescale hunslet .various mamods.and a couple of diesel out line battery locos .The only one i have that is dual gauge is a tram i made some years ago .I will dig out a piciure and post it.Most of my rolling stock is scratch built with a few exceptions

steve
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 am

Well you really have arrived amongst friends, I think at the last count Carl has 13 live steam loco's that'll be running at the Expo, though on 45mm track.

We'd love to see pictures of your fleet bounce

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Welcome Steve to a great forum with a lot of very helpful people.

All outside framed Roundhouse locos are gauge convertible in minutes between 32mm and 45mm. 45mm Peco track is approximately 40% more expensive than 32mm Peco. LGB track is very overscale but naturally very robust.

If 45mm represents metre gauge then 32mm can be a close representation of 700mm narrow gauge, as on my railway. The body sizes of locos can remain the same as many narrow gauge lines used regauged stock.

Hope we meet up some time.
Back to top Go down
tindaria

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Back to top Go down
tindaria

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:00 am

http://s8.postimage.org/speo1wbv9/SAM_0057_800x600.jpg

Just found this picture. Very impressive? Has there been any further progress?
Greetings from the Kent & North Wales Light Railway, based in Alsace.

Last edited by k&nwlr on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : embedded picture into post)
Back to top Go down
tindaria

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:08 pm

At last we have laid rails and had a steam up .Trying to put a picture up .but I cant get it to work
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:33 pm

You need to host a picture throught https://servimg.com

You have to use the button "host an image"
And you paste the link for direct image.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brittany railways   Today at 2:23 am

Back to top Go down

Brittany railways
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Garden railways-
Jump to: