Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Doh, I get it now - this is the axis of the throttle, never had these on my old free flight aircraft models the throttle was controlled by a needle valve, I have much to learn....

Keep up Brian.
You should know that when the piston moves the reverser activates, which in turn releases the brake so that the diodes will then charge the carb,this in turn electrifies the electric motor which then connects the piston with the crankshaft,press forward and of she goes.

SIMPLES.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:40 am

fm12 wrote:
Keep up Brian.
You should know that when the piston moves the reverser activates, which in turn releases the brake so that the diodes will then charge the carb,this in turn electrifies the electric motor which then connects the piston with the crankshaft,press forward and of she goes.

SIMPLES.
Van, Clearly your Doctorate in Electro-Mechanical Engineering from the University of Seychelles has finally paid off!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:33 pm

quote]
Van, Clearly your Doctorate in Electro-Mechanical Engineering from the University of Seychelles has finally paid off![/quote]

With honours I may add

LEVEL TRACK HERE NO NEED FOR R/C bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncecheers
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm

The MIL is still firmly resident chez moi with no visible sign of departure so some more progress despite the snow and freezing temperatures.

I found some fine brass mesh to use for grills but wasn't too happy with just soldering straight to the body so made some tedious surrounding frames from nickel silver.

Also some Seychellesque sugar plantation type lamps from 12mm brass plumbing end-caps and LEDs. These will be powered by a small separate battery in the cab somewhere.

And seeing as this machine is going to a (former) diesel truck driver it just had to have one of those natty little hats that flips up and down with the exhaust. Laughing That took a day to make and get right....try telling that to the 'domestic staff'...they just don't understand....
There is a choice of a conventional exhaust stack too.

The problem (for me) is that the details can start to get a bit obsessive and you have to stop somewhere.
I really do need to think about painting and some testing, both of which are difficult here with the cold.
However Monsieur Méteo says it will be a balmy 8° degrees this Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Supurb detailing Carl! If it took you a day to make that flip-up exhaust hat than it was a day spend well!

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Excellent Carl.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 am

I had a lesson cancelled today and most of the snow has cleared plus spurred on by progress in Kent... Wink

A short test, it breathes life!

1. Getting the mixture right was a little tedious, started at 3 turns out but far too rich although this engine had been previously run with about 30 cc ok on that setting. Eventually ended up at about 1 3/4 turns out and still just a tad rich. scratch but after that it started on the first pull.

2. Plus points, fuel tank and exhaust worked fine, no air and no oil at all back into the tank. Maybe the close proximity of the tank to the engine contributed to it running richer.
Throttle operation was perfect with the slight drag on the spring sufficient. The second servo and switch worked fine and enabled the engine to be run in neutral. Tickover speed was enough to generate electricity to slowly turn the traction motor for a realistic crawl.

3. Minus points, gear meshing was a little sloppy and I may have to shim up the engine mountings to compensate. This contributed to a lot of gear noise which as you can hear almost drowned out the engine noise although I didn't use any grease. This will be amplified and resonated with the body on.
It's not going to be loco for a surburban garden railway!

The biggest but solvable problem was that the engine gear came loose and I will have to drill the crankshaft spigot to stop this. The problem was caused by me filing down the end of the locating grub screw because it was too long and fouled the other gear but then after it didn't grip correctly.

I may also have to remake the diode rectifier which became soaked with oil although for starting and testing a simple tube connected to the exhaust to pipe it away would do. Idea
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Carl, I have started to use Loctite retainer to fix pulleys to shafts just to save drilling, tapping filing flats on crankshafts. I have not had any problems with it coming loose on the two occasions I have tried it. Different versions are recommended for different air gaps so maybe I just have been lucky. It can easily be removed by applying heat with a gas iron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riTo3zwyIaU

Have you ever used this stuff ?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes David I have used Loctite and its different versions and it is a good option.

However...I have now made some as yet untested improvements including drilling just a small dimple on the crankshaft spigot. I have greased the gears and made a simple easily removable gearbox cover to avoid the grease being spun all over the place and as an extra safety measure although the gears cannot slide off the shafts anyway as there is no room.
Fuel tank is now black with an improved mounting fixing.
A simple dab of protective tape over the rectifier to avoid shorts and fuel/oil splatter.
Plus a simple lighting battery box that bolts to the cab bulkhead, PP3 9v battery, 400 ohm resistor and switch, lights are negative earth so only one positive wire feed required.

A few first impressions in black - still more coats to do yet. Brass is difficult to paint successfully and a good initial key is required. I soaked the body in a salt and vinegar solution for a day before using a bare metal spray primer.
The exhaust pipe though is chemically etched black and won't come off!

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:59 pm

I hope you take it to Paris before you let Van get his sticky hands on it ??????

Back to top Go down
mike

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Paulus wrote:
Supurb detailing Carl! If it took you a day to make that flip-up exhaust hat than it was a day spend well!

totally agree ,the details... love um
Back to top Go down
http://www.lazygrangebay.co.uk/
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:51 am

GWhizz wrote:
I hope you take it to Paris before you let Van get his sticky hands on it ??????

Yes and at the CFBS where I'm looking to have 5 working 'diesels' in attendance.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm

[quote="Carl Hibbs"]No stupid question here not even from Anton.... Wink joke! Laughing

Thanks for that!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 pm

What a great loco, beautifully crafted.

How do you form the curve in the single brass section between the two sides and the bonnet roof ?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm

It was just done in the jaws of a 'workmate' (the tool variety not a colleague....).
I bent the sides to about 120° angle to the roof and then curved the roof gently with fingers and a round steel bar. This then brought the sides perpendicular.

The key is to heat the brass first, and the wooden jaws of the workmate helped create the rounded corner.

Zinc is mush easier to bend than brass though!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Some testing this afternoon on the track:

First with the gear pinned on the engine but still a lot of screeching with gears despite improving the meshing and plenty of grease.

Then later after I modified the engine mounting and decreased the meshing gap again.

The gear screetching improved a little but still needs more work and modification. The gearbox cover made no difference so that was removed.

It was difficult starting outside today as the temperature was at 0°C. Getting the mixture right required a deal of patience!
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:53 am

Nice work Carl!

Just a curious question about the gears (because it has a very nice speed); are the gears ratio calculated or is it trail and error to see what works best?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Trial and error Paul but with respect to nitro engine speed at idle nominally 2,000 rpm and the BLDC motor generator capacity at the same speed or different depending on gear ratio!

Thus 910KV motor produces around 2.1 volts (allowing for slight loss) at an equal gear ratio at idle.

I have used (changed round from original post) 14 teeth on engine and 12 teeth on motor.
This gives a 16% increase in BLDC motor speed. So at idle it now produces about 2.5 volts.

This is without a clutch of course. study scratch

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks Carl!
Right, you have a diesel electric. I did forget that for a moment when I asked about it. I was somehow wrongly under the impression that the nitro engine was directly connected to the axles with gears... Although I know well that this is no the case!

Feeling kind of dumb now... Rolling Eyes
Probably thougt that because I was figuring out my gear ratio's on the Mamod... Neutral

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi Van

Would you like me to look after your new loco for you Question

After all I might be seeing it at the weekend Wink

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:04 pm

After a number of mods the machine was duly tried and tested on track at Ferrovi'art to an intrigued crowd.

On Sunday(after a bench test on Saturday) it started with the first half pull of the starter which shows that if all the simple conditions are right these are sweet little engines indeed.

It ran for about 15 mins before getting a little too warm and air appeared in the fuel. Still some mods to do including increasing the ventilation in the body.

Otherwise a pleasing and successful debut.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 pm

For further info the final (I hope) configuration is as run at Ferrov'iart with a clutch and module 1 gears. This has eliminated all that screetching in the earlier tests.
Also starting the engine with a flywheel fitted is better too.

Next trial will be at the CFBS fête vapeur...or should that be fête diesel?

Maybe I'll let the owner take delivery after that. Cool
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Maybe I'll let the owner take delivery after that. Cool

Far too soon, I'm not sure he'll ever be ready? Unless you can configure it for an absolutely LEVEL track Laughing

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 pm

GWhizz wrote:
....... absolutely LEVEL track Laughing

Oh dear....that wasn't in the remit.... and it is fitted with radio control.

Does that mean I'll have to make some more delaying modifications or should I send it first to the Haute-Charente for further testing....???
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 pm

[quote="Carl Hibbs )should I send it first to the Haute-Charente for further testing....???[/quote]

A sea sick diesel,now that would be a first

LEVEL TRACK HERE NO NEED FOR R/C bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncecheers
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am

Great loco Carl cheers .
There is one detail I like the most. That little rain cap on the exhaust stack. Do you have a pic of it
Ok, I found it.

Carl Hibbs wrote:
The MIL is still firmly resident chez moi with no visible sign of departure so some more progress despite the snow and freezing temperatures.

I found some fine brass mesh to use for grills but wasn't too happy with just soldering straight to the body so made some tedious surrounding frames from nickel silver.

Also some Seychellesque sugar plantation type lamps from 12mm brass plumbing end-caps and LEDs. These will be powered by a small separate battery in the cab somewhere.

And seeing as this machine is going to a (former) diesel truck driver it just had to have one of those natty little hats that flips up and down with the exhaust. Laughing That took a day to make and get right....try telling that to the 'domestic staff'...they just don't understand....
There is a choice of a conventional exhaust stack too.

The problem (for me) is that the details can start to get a bit obsessive and you have to stop somewhere.
I really do need to think about painting and some testing, both of which are difficult here with the cold.
However Monsieur Méteo says it will be a balmy 8° degrees this Sunday.

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Today at 2:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: