Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am

Great loco Carl cheers .
There is one detail I like the most. That little rain cap on the exhaust stack. Do you have a pic of it
Ok, I found it.

Carl Hibbs wrote:
The MIL is still firmly resident chez moi with no visible sign of departure so some more progress despite the snow and freezing temperatures.

I found some fine brass mesh to use for grills but wasn't too happy with just soldering straight to the body so made some tedious surrounding frames from nickel silver.

Also some Seychellesque sugar plantation type lamps from 12mm brass plumbing end-caps and LEDs. These will be powered by a small separate battery in the cab somewhere.

And seeing as this machine is going to a (former) diesel truck driver it just had to have one of those natty little hats that flips up and down with the exhaust. Laughing That took a day to make and get right....try telling that to the 'domestic staff'...they just don't understand....
There is a choice of a conventional exhaust stack too.

The problem (for me) is that the details can start to get a bit obsessive and you have to stop somewhere.
I really do need to think about painting and some testing, both of which are difficult here with the cold.
However Monsieur Méteo says it will be a balmy 8° degrees this Sunday.

Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Carl,

Could you do me a favor please? Next time when you're filming the loco could you hold on the little moving flap a few moments please?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Okay will do this weekend if the temperature rises above the paltry 5°C maximum of today.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Thank you Carl. Not really warmer over here Crying or Very sad .

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:33 pm

While looking on the pics again I noticed that the little cap is rounded on the inner and the outer sure. How did you do this? Did you pressed it into a shaped jig?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:15 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by inner and outer 'sure' Lorenz. Tell me in German as I might know the vocabulary.

If you mean surface then it was rather by luck. I punched the brass cap out of a sheet with an old die punch and club hammer. This created a slightly domed effect and a burr on the inside.

Some more work today, with the threat of melting silencers I got the big blow lamp out.

Don't ask me for any tips on silver soldering.

It's a miracle that the whole thing didn't end up as a big blob and that the garage workshop only suffered minor fire damage. Rolling Eyes

Cleaned up and fitted. Obviously in brass and not zinc this time.

Aarrgh...all that nice paint work....
I had to create some more ventilation by making another panel hole and I removed the mesh from the other to give access to the switch.
It'll all be repainted.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by inner and outer 'sure' Lorenz. Tell me in German as I might know the vocabulary.

If you mean surface then it was rather by luck. I punched the brass cap out of a sheet with an old die punch and club hammer. This created a slightly domed effect and a burr on the inside.

That's exactly what I meant. Thanks alot. Sorry about the "sure". Shape was the word. But my phone sometimes think I should use another Word clown .

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm

What is the diffetence between the new and the old silencer? Except soft and silver solder. And why did you do it this time with the big flame thrower? bom

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:09 pm

It all started with (Dewinton) Dave as he had silver soldered his exhaust. I had soft soldered mine with no previous problems but was suspicious.

However at Ferrovi'art I noticed the engine was getting pretty hot under the tight brass body.
The engine temperature and soft solder melting point are closer than I initially realised.

Brian's soft soldered box has indeed melted apart (It's hotter in Charente than Normandy).

The new box is in brass as zinc melts at around 400°C.

A small pencil torch is not hot enough for this job although it will silver solder small unions to 3mm copper pipe, hence a larger blow lamp.

Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 pm

Ah, ok. I see. I read about Daves trials with the heat gun. What's about the body? How's the temperature there? Close arround the engine and the muffler unit?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Baguley brothers Very Happy

Both diesels nearly at a stage of completion.

Van's is in the foreground.

Mine (diesel 4) nearest the camera, fuel tank fits at the back of the cab but otherwise almost identical layout and equipment.
Van's has a new fuel tank.

Seychelles on the left, Societé (très) Economic on the right.
I decided to take a chance with the soft soldered zinc exhaust. I haven't tried it yet (still very cold weather here) but I made an insulating gasket out of thin birch ply.

Mine with clothes on. Van's body is being repainted but I don't know if I'll get time to paint mine.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:12 pm

The twins looking really good. cheers
Do you have a pic of the insulation gasket? Could you tell me the size of the chassis please?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:53 pm

I haven't got a picture I'm afraid but it iss just a piece of 1,5mm thick birch ply cut out the same as an ordinary gasket.

The Baguley chassis measures 220mm x 90mm. Axle spacings are 45mm and jackshaft 38mm
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Thx Carl Smile
Probably a base for a 7/8ths loco, with some more or less heavy work Shocked .

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Repaint, windows and lettering.... dare I say 'nearly finished'?

Some final pics in glorious Normandy sunshine before la fête de vapeur (fête de diesel...).
Amazingly 22°C today.

All ready for work!

The lettering is a waterslide decal printing on the PC and varnished

An in company with number 4 machine now in 'CFD' red.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Ok, I see the differences. (look at diesel 4).
Looking really cool. Wish I could see them irl.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Tacbob wrote:
Wish I could see them irl.

Come to St Valery sur Somme in France on the 27/28 April and you can Lorenz.

BTW, I heard they are expecting over 20,000 people for the weekend. affraid

More than 15,000 attended (last time) in 2009.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Fri May 03, 2013 7:09 am

It had a short outing on the line in full public view at the CFBS Fête de la Vapeur.
All ran well except for a little overheating under the brass bonnet.

Fortunately when I previously moved the engine to an offset position this left some space on the carburetor side. I shall install a small lateral dc fan there to see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Fri May 03, 2013 2:03 pm

I love the rain cap dancing on top of the exhaust stack; what a great bit if detail. Now all you need is to figure a way to lower the exhaust note a couple of octaves, and it would be very realistic.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun May 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Now fitted with a cooling fan.

This 10mm deep x 50 x 50mm fan fits neatly down one side and blows air across the engine crankcase and away from the exhaust. It is connected directly to the output of the rectifier.

It is a cheap PC 12v brushless fan available from many sources on e bay. It has 3 wires but works with normal 2 phase DC on two of the wires (red and/or yellow and black). scratch

I have used a 12v fan rather than a 5v because I don't want it running when the engine is idling at low voltage but giving more output at higher engine rpm. Plus at about half throttle the engine will be producing rather more than 5 volts.

Ready now for Neuilly Vap'Eure in 2 weeks time.
Back to top Go down
tram47

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Arrow
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 am

The official Handover at Neuilly Vap'eure

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Today at 3:38 pm

Back to top Go down

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: