Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paulus

PostSubject: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Although times of repression the CFJ was in a very lucky situation to obtain a pre-owned 0-4-0 steam locomotive for the Juruth valley line. It was sidelined on its former railway and became obsolute.
Though, the scouting CFJ engineers found it has enough potential and shipped it over to the CFJ.

Yesterday in the late afternoon twillight the brave little engine arrived at Juruth depot:

In the workshop it came clear that the engine will need a lot of work (but that will provide job-security for the CFJ engineers!)

Although the former owner was not certain on its origin the locomotive revealed its builders name: "Manufactured by Roundhouse Eng. Co. Doncaster".

After some research the engineers discovered by the looks of the body and the Hackworth valve gear this little maroon engine was in fact a Mr.Merlin's Pooter that was produced from 1986 to early 1987 in commission by Roundhouse for Steamlines Models and Publications (see: http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/museum.htm#mrmerlin )
This means that it is technically based on the Roundhouse Charles Pooter (same chassis and boiler with external spirits firing) but with a different body and a cast smoke box.

More shots from the workshop with the body removed:

As you can see, a lo to be done! Cleaning to start with, taking it apart, check the parts and likely replace or repair some of them, try to change the gauge from 35mm to 45mm, painting, putting it back to gether and hopefully getting it to run (I don't dare to steam it up in this condition).
Sounds like al lot of fun but than again the engineers try not to get cold feeted...
First thing first: study on how best to restore this engine and get some steam experience with the Mamod Minor project. So for now, the engine will be cleaned and the disassembled carefully.

Meanwhile: all advise, experience and information is more than welcome!

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Too many projects, too little time..........

If she cleans up as well as the Mahmod engine did, you'll have a nice one.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)

Last edited by KleineDicke on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Thats so true... Rolling Eyes
I'm afraid I'll have a little more work on this one.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:05 am

Once you get that ol' live steam bug there's no stopping....Plastic electric nice though it is, is never quite the same. Laughing

That's a loco with a lot of history and well worth restoring in my view.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 am

Looks like a great project and an engine with real heritage. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks all!

Due to a very quit fridaymorning on my work I was able to print out some information I found on restoring old model steam engines and some very helpfull information and technical sheets on the Roundhouse website.

So i started this weekend to disassemble the engine. Taking pictures by every step I make in the hope I can put it together again following the reverse order of pictures taken Smile

A small section from these pictures:

All RC stuff removed:

Painted bodywork sprayed in with Mr.Muscle and put in a plastic bag to remove the chipped and damged paint.

The wickburner:

QUESTION: Does somebody know the function of the little tube at the backside and bottom of the wickburner?

And the stage it is in at this very moment:

Next step is to remove valve gears and (find out how to) widen the wheels to fit the 45 mm gauge. For both jobs I need tools I dont have yet. I borrowed a small socket wrench from my brother to remove the valve gears. Have to find a small Allen key for the wheels I think. I had such thing somewhere...

For those who find it interesting, all step-by-step pictures are over here:
http://public.fotki.com/SmallGardenRailway/locomotives--railcars/mr-merlin-pooter/?view=roll

Paul

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi Paul, have you seen this rebuild log ? it may be helpful...

http://www.gardenrailwayclub.com/locos/roundhouse-charles-pooter
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:31 pm

dtsteam wrote:
Hi Paul, have you seen this rebuild log ? it may be helpful...

http://www.gardenrailwayclub.com/locos/roundhouse-charles-pooter

That is surely helpfull!! Very detailed how-to information and as good as the same locomotive. Thanks!!! cheers

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Had a very hectic, chaotical week last week so not much work was done. I was able to work on it today finally.
On some of the parts that were sprayed in with MrMuscle the paint came loose. However, the paint on the body barely reacted on the MrMuscle. So back to sandpaper there.

This is how far I'm today. The body still needs some work removing paint arround the rivets etc. but I think I leave the paint on the backside as it is and I know I don't bother to remove the paint on the inside... tongue

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:10 pm

A really worthwhile project - can't wait to see the beast fully restored and running!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:15 am

Paul, in my experience a decent motor vehicle paint stripper should remove the paint without any mechanical effort or sanding. I have used Nitromors on a number of locos and given a couple of coats have been able to wash off the paint under a cold water tap with a softish brush.

Thanks for posting all the great pictures, it looks a fun project.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:10 pm

High time for a new update.
Today I removed the boiler, cylinders and valve gears as well as other parts of the chassis.

Can't get the axles removed. There seems to be some kind of Imbus screws but they seem to be damaged and the tool does not fit. I just leave it as far as I came.

I've managed to regauge one axle, the wheels slide over the axle. One wheel however refuses to change its position... Advise more than welcome!

Some pictures. More on: http://public.fotki.com/SmallGardenRailway/locomotives--railcars/mr-merlin-pooter/

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello Paulus,

A while ago I stumpled across this site: Loco of the month. I think Marc Horovitz, the guy who introduces all the beautiful locos do have a big knowledge about live steam locos. Maybe you should try to ask him. Look at this, I believe (90%) that's he and his daughter. Tinplate Girl

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:42 am

And if you havenīt already been in touch with Roundhouse directly, then I would try it. Theyīre usually very helpful and have a very long corporate memory concerning what they built!
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:48 am

Tacbob wrote:
Hello Paulus,

A while ago I stumpled across this site: Loco of the month. I think Marc Horovitz, the guy who introduces all the beautiful locos do have a big knowledge about live steam locos. Maybe you should try to ask him. Look at this, I believe (90%) that's he and his daughter. Tinplate Girl
Tinplate Girl is very definitely Marc H.īs daughter. Marc Horovitz is the founder and editor of the US publication "Garden Railways". He also wrote a book recently, which includes locos from this collection. Iīll check to find out whether your one is included and whether he has anything to say about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi there!
It's been a long time but today I picked up this project again. Small steps however. But I finally succeeded to get the stucked wheel to come loose!

PostSubject: Re: A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!   Today at 12:18 am

Back to top Go down

A steamer for the CFJ: Mr. Merlin comes to town!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Model locomotives and rolling stock-
Jump to: