Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dtsteam

PostSubject: Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?   Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Following a throw away comment on an R/C thread, I share with you one of my experiments over the winter.
I found this fascinating website http://papertrolley.ucoz.ru/ where the guy takes pictures of trolleybuses and trams and makes HO card kits out of them and posts them on his site. He is really clever as there is little or no distortion. One of my favourite gadgets is a cheapo colour laser and a pile of waterproof laser paper (vinyl). scratch

Most of the trams on his website have got roundy bits, but the Tatra T6 is all corners :

Anyway, step 1 - print the HO kit in Windows Paint - a little known feature is the percentage upscale at print time - so 387% should do it

Step 2 - stick it to some foamed pvc

Step 3 - cut it out, wrestle with it and glue together with superglue

Step 4 - find some old MDC trucks and stick 'em underneath

Add a few bits and bobs and try it out...

It is crude but it was fun to try the idea. Sadly the MDC trucks (brass wheels, plastic gears, and no skates) were not much good, so the model was left in the shed for the winter. Well its back in the dining room (with permission this time) and most of the way through a tidy up and battery conversion... but don't hold your breath.

ps. I posted a similar topic in another place, and no-one got the title of the thread, so I thought I'd try again...
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?   Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 am

Now that's clever!

Very nicely done, Dave

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?   Mon May 27, 2013 4:45 pm

...Nothing 'throw away' about that model. Very Happy

Btw, I was looking at the BBC website where there is a sad article about India's last remaining trams:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22460872
The last picture with a reference to a 'modern' tram made me smile.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?   Mon May 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
...Nothing 'throw away' about that model. Very Happy

Btw, I was looking at the BBC website where there is a sad article about India's last remaining trams:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22460872
The last picture with a reference to a 'modern' tram made me smile.

It says "modern looking" as opposed to being truly modern, which is quite true when compared with the car in first photo. Very Happy

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?   Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:13 am

Just stumbled across this. What a great idea to use printed sides, specialy with complicated livery. How does the colours hold up in the sun? Did you used some sort of UV protection spray to prevent shading? I think the tram looks very good actually. Perhaps it looked even better when the windows were cut out and glazed with plastic clear sheets, than again, you had to build and interior as well I guess. 

What are those MDC trucks? They look rather nice.

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?   Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for your interest Paul. One side has faded a little as I didn't spray the vinyl and left it on a shelf in the shed. Having said that, laser printing seems to give much better results than ink-jet printing, but still fades in time. Yes, you are right - it would look a lot better with proper windows and an interior, although the view through the windows helps with the illusion, as you can'see' right through the tram to whats on the other side. The MDC trucks were sold as part of a kit for a little american 'hustler'. I bought four of them many years ago, promising to build a pair of Oslo Holmenkobanen cars for a mate of mine. It never got beyond a mock up, so the trucks just hung around for 20 years ! They have brass wheels, lousy pickups and rubbish gears unfortunately. Later versions were improved, but the early ones are not much good. 

Your interest has, however, prompted me to do something with the model, so as I'm off work this week, I might have a go at the battery conversion mentioned above.

Just for fun, the Holmenkolbanen mockup, circa 2006.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?   Today at 4:34 pm

Back to top Go down

Would you like to ride my Tatra car ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Model locomotives and rolling stock-
Jump to: