Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Newbe on this forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:36 pm

This loco in blue, is that the Ahlstom?
What line does it run on and where was the picture taken?

Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:25 am

It is the Alsthom that ran on the FEVE (a line in the Noth-West of spain). It has been modell very nicely by a catalan modeller  "olot" who reported on the "voiemétrique" forum (in french) and an other forum in catalan. The prototype was made in a lot of similar versions for local spanish and portuguese railways, but also for Ethiopia, Vietnam, Madagascar and so more.
You will find a lot on the quoted forum. I found this picture on internet but not on that forum.

To be complete, the picture of the Brissonneau et Lotz was taken in the 70's. It is amazing through how many colours the CP have gone; I presume they changed colour every time they were re-painted! Some are fancy, some as this one is especially dull (that why I put the picture in B & W!). The Apocopa model is not very nice and I am not temptated so much; otherwise it who be the easy way!
If you go with the CP, you can have some probable if not historic compositions mixing some quite common equipments like Brissonneau et Lotz, Billard, De Dion. This would be the trouble with this Alsthom: though french built, it never ran on a french railway.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Might be wrong but I think the Alsthoms are still running on the Cubillos to Villablino section of the Ponferrada to Villablino industrial line.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:17 pm

No Sorry.  I think the current locos are Alcos and Macosas.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Finaly, I chose for my first try a less difficult goal that this two engines. I thought first to build a free lance design as some of you have done, until I fell in one MTVF magazine on a prototype (dated 1924!) that seems not too difficult to build: just straight lines made of wood execpt the roof which is  bare cylinder: I have seen in GEMME that some one did a HO model. It is called Polar-Deva.

Maybe one day I will come back to one of the more sophisticated locs as Alsthom or Brissonneau, but I know myself: if my goal is too far away, I will never start!

I am still waiting for my BLDC motor and then I will be able to make more precise blue-prints of my project.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Welcome aboard Saint-Oblas.
Another way to face the size problem of the engine or motor could be to change the scale. I'm building in 1:13,3 and running on 45mm. That's 600mm in real life. Btw it's a nice and handy scale.

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 am

I thought to this way of going along. But the choice is more limited and one has to build everything.I looked especially to the picturesque DHR in India. There are some models propopsed on this site, but they are out of my budget. 
An other advantage is that 600mm prototypes are often less complicated than metric and a fortiori normal gauge prototypes.
An other inconvenient is that no wagons are on the shelf. For me it would not be too much of a problem as I have no garden track (for the good reason I have no garden any more!).
It is a nice way too, for sure!

For the ease of facing the size of the engine, it is not such an advantage as it could seem at first glance. Sure 1/13.3 is larger than 1/22.5 but it is partly compensated by smaller prototypes.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:30 am

I finally turned to a Polar-Deva 1924 diesel loc. The prototype has a wooden body that should not be too difficult to imitate even for the beginner I am.

I received my BLDC (the same Carl put the picture of bove). After taking of the clip, the roor and statot are easily pulled apart. But I had quite a problem with the grub screw (is it specific to my specimen?). I went to a model shop in Lyon. All what he did was making some marks on the rotor ( not very big though) and gave me the very bad advice that I stupidly followed to drill the grub screw away.  It is made of hard steel and all I did was spoiling the hexagonal hole so that I am sure now not beeing able to turn it out! The only solution is on a lathe drilling the shaft out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbe on this forum   Today at 3:39 pm

Back to top Go down

Newbe on this forum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: