Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Interesting job at Lucerne Transport Museum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Interesting job at Lucerne Transport Museum   Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:49 pm

I saw this guy at lunchtime today. His job is to dust the locomotives. Switzerland is a very clean country  Laughing 

Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Interesting job at Lucerne Transport Museum   Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Hmmm... looking at the battery box (?) on the MIB railcar he's got a bit of catching up to do. I don't think I've seen that much dust in the rest of the country.

Its funny that a hydro-electric electric company would use battery railcars. I went in the ex Bern tram era, but they didn't accept Inter-rail so we poor students back tracked to the Sherlock Holmes pub in Meiringen for a drink.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Interesting job at Lucerne Transport Museum   Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:05 pm

dtsteam wrote:
Hmmm... looking at the battery box (?) on the MIB railcar he's got a bit of catching up to do. I don't think I've seen that much dust in the rest of the country.

Its funny that a hydro-electric electric company would use battery railcars. I went in the ex Bern tram era, but they didn't accept Inter-rail so we poor students back tracked to the Sherlock Holmes pub in Meiringen for a drink.

Well, I suppose you have to store the electricity somewhere  Razz  .... and it make have to do with avoiding the cost of all those wires.

My favourite example however is the short-lived Sissach-Gelterkinden Bahn, which is the only known example of a company moving from electricity to steam. They built the power plant on a river to generate hydro-electricity. Unfortunately, measurements were made in springtime when the river was high and fast-moving. You can guess the rest, but it was an almost Irish example of a railway where passengers were regularly invited to get out and push.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting job at Lucerne Transport Museum   

Back to top Go down

Interesting job at Lucerne Transport Museum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Full size 1:1 trains-
Jump to: