Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pappde

PostSubject: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Dear CGT members,
I thought it would interest some of you, if I would post my build log here.
After a little over than a year waiting, I finally got delivery of my WYKO DR 995001 IIm live steam locomotive.
I always loved small 0-4-0 locomotives. One of my longtime favorites is the DR 995001. I came across a picture of this locomotive about ten years ago. I fell in love with it instantly. 
German rail enthusiasts lovingly call this locomotive as Kleine Dicke, that translates as Fatty or Fatso. The name is coming from the very short, 75"/1900mm, and rather wide 55"/ 1400mm, superheated boiler. The locomotive was built by Borsig, in 1925. It was designed for the Spremberg city freight rail company. The extremely sharp in city turnouts mandated using locomotives with rather short wheelbase. 995001 has a 59"/1500mm wheelbase. The locomotive worked as Locomotive Nr. 11 until 1956 when the rail sytem in Spremberg closed down. The Deutsche Reichsbahn (DR, the East German State Railways) took over the locomotive and put it in service as 995001 in the Harz mountains one meter gauge railways, where it served until the early seventies. It was sold to a French rail museum. It is still in France, in storege, out of sight. How sad.
About eight years ago I started building a 1/8 scale 5"gauge version of this locomotive. Since I had no plans to the loco, I made them out of available sketches. Not being an engineer or professional locomotive builder, it takes a long time, and I have to constantly revise and rebuild. So it is still not steaming.
Just to get somewhere closer, in having a functioning 995001, I decided to build a garden scale version that I saw first about five years ago at the Sinsheim steam show.
So it arrived yesterday.
The parts are built very well, they feel really robust.
Workmanship and finishing is very good.
Back to top Go down
pappde

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:00 pm

I made very good progress yesterday.
Installed the wheels. 
Removed the hideous and huge LGB coupler link.

Converted the center buffer to a "balancier kupplung". Very much like on the original. I installed a draw hook in the place where the LGB coupler was.

I love the new look!Exclamation

Next step is adding brake shoes:D
Back to top Go down
pappde

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:30 pm

This was a very productive weekend.
Fabricated brake rigging.

Painted, then installed brake system. I am only missing a brake cylinder. Maybe a working one, not a dummy?Rolling EyesVery Happy

I think the whole brake system looks pretty prototypical.Very Happy

I am entertaining the thought more and more about going oil less. In preparation for that I ordered some Teflon bar stock. To machine spacers and bushings, to begin with and to get a feel how to work with teflon on the lathe.affraid
In the meantime I decided to go ahead and install the Regner steam waterfeed pump. The locomotive oiler and the water pump oiler will be moved to the cab.

I have to see how much space I have there with the RC installation. It will be a cramped cab for sure.
You can also see on this picture the very nice Latowski bell. I got this one from Herrmann Echtampf. The original that came with the loco was not fit to be on such a nice machine.

Denes
Back to top Go down
pappde

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Hello again,
Another well spent weekend. Finished the motion work. The steering is in place. It took some arduous adjusting of the link pieces. As supplied, there was a fair amount of binding of the parts. Now all move smoothly.
The steering works still a little hard in some positions. Any wisdom from the community?
Finally, the moment of truth. The compressed air test. Worked really well, slow or fast, forward or backwards.

Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:17 am

Really nice loco. Who is the manufactor? Or is it a home made one?  Maybe Reppingen?

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Wyko Echtdampf:
http://www.wyko-echtdampf.de/
Back to top Go down
pappde

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:26 pm

More progress. Installed valve gear  servo. Found for it a very good place. Underneath the footplate.

The servo is just 0.25 mm thicker than the space between the footplate and the spring housing.  When the footplate is screwed in it holds the servo very tight.

The two other servos that controll the whistle valve and the water pump will be on the both side of the boiler.

Unexpected snag, broken O ring in the throttle valve.

Also made the exhaust steam condenser. The exhaust opening is in the lower 1/3 of the chimney. 

It is a very simple affair, but works very well with the Summerlands chuffer. 

On my Fairymead locomotive I have the same arrangement. It runs very clean, without a drop of water or oil outside. The captured oil burns away in the hot pot. It adds more visible smoke!Very Happy:lol:
Back to top Go down
pappde

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:31 pm

I havent posted an update for a long time.Embarassed
I am having a hard time with servo placement in the cab. I have not realised that WYKO offers servo brackets to the locomotive. Instead I used the brackets I had at home. This created a lot of headache. I had to move, rearrange and move the servo brackets again. This created a really crowded cab.
I think, finally I am close to the solution. Will post pictures soon.
I dont know how you are with this, but for me the most challenging part was the water gauge glass. I used a 6mm brass rod  (I have 5mm glasses) to align the top and bottom parts. It aligned very nicely. Applying the screws with the O rings was the hardest part. I used lots of saliva around the glass, still it was finger braking work!
Back to top Go down
pappde

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Fixed my problems finally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey   Today at 6:19 pm

Back to top Go down

995001 a.k.a. arrived to New Jersey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Model locomotives and rolling stock-
Jump to: