Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Freelance passenger car from the 20's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Freelance passenger car from the 20's   Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:42 am

After adapting three LGB 3060 cars, i decided to vbuild one from scratch (except the bogies coming from a LGB 3060). As I am a bit more familiar with PMMA, I decided to build the structure out PMMA and dress it with wood afterwars. This appeared not to be a very good solution: not much easier and very very heavy. I think afterwards that plywood would have been simpler. Anyway, as far as aspect is concerned, I am pretty satisfied with the result. The body is finished. I just need to make the lighting and put the roof on. A few pictures:

General view inside:

A second class compartment:

and a first class:

I will post a full view of the car once I am through.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Freelance passenger car from the 20's   Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:05 am

Wow, very high level of modelling and detailing. What wood do you use? How did you get those nice bows?

PostSubject: Re: Freelance passenger car from the 20's   Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:24 pm

I cut the sides of the armchairs out a 3mm thick oak sheet with a Trotec 100 laser. It was coloured aftewards with a water mahoganny taint. I also burned the flowers on the adhesive velvet with the same device.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Freelance passenger car from the 20's   Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Cool stuff. Do you have your own laser? But I mentioned the bents on the carriage body? How did you do this?

PostSubject: Re: Freelance passenger car from the 20's   Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm

No! I belong to a fablab which owns two laser: one Trotec 300 and one Trotec 100. Bending the carriage sides was quite a story.
The body shell is made of PMMA (Plexi as a trademark) 3mm thick. The sides where precut with the laser, heated to approximately 140 °C in the kitchen oven, and bent in a form made of MDF. The first try was unsatisfactory; bending was OK but when cooling, PMMA retracted resulting in wrong dimensions. I had to to try again with somewhat excessive dimension in order to screw tightly the PMMA on the form before heating and let it cool down in the form. Retract was limited to approximately 1mm. The excess of PMMA was later cut with the Dremel disc.
On the PMMA body, I glued multiply wood bended the same way (oven température 85°C) and left one day after cooling.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Freelance passenger car from the 20's   Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:41 pm

A fablab is a nice thing. Probably one day I have to look if there's one near me.
Sounds like a sientific adventure to find the best result. But it's really great. Do you already have the roof?

PostSubject: Re: Freelance passenger car from the 20's   Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Sure, I have a roof. I just took it of in order to show the inside.

As in my previous carriages,

http://continental-garden-t.motionforum.net/t1290-transforming-lgb-passenger-cars

I use it to accomodate the lighting.

The ceiling lights are carved from a big acryli pearl and engraved with a "Art Nouveau" drawing:

and lited:

I use 3mm warm colour LED fed by a 1S LiPo cell.

I am just waiting for a 6x1mm walnut stick and I will be through with this project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freelance passenger car from the 20's   Today at 12:18 am

Back to top Go down

Freelance passenger car from the 20's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Model locomotives and rolling stock-
Jump to: