Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sherlock Holmes anybody?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: Sherlock Holmes anybody?   Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:57 pm

I have been going over my old pictures of French railway stations and this one has got me stumped.
Maybe its because I was a policeman for 25 years ;16 of which was in the CID, but this pic looks all wrong. By the look of the womens dresses (short) it could be anytime from the 30's- 50's( but would the box locos still be around then?), and what is the seemingly extra high wagon in the train? Is it the camera angle and its actually a building alongside the track (with a curved roof?), or is it some wagon that I've never seen before(possible!)

Now I'm sure there is a budding Detective on here who will have all the answers. Or is there?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes anybody?   Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Elementary my dear Mikey....

Wissous was a small village now swallowed up with the development of Paris-Orly airport Antony/Rungis etc.

There was a standard gauge tramway called the Chemin de fer Paris-Arpajon. This was all closed down by 1937 so the woman was very immodestly dressed for the period.

Notice it says 'Wissous S et O.' This is the old departement Seine et Oise. Which covered all of Paris from below the river Seine in the South to above the river Oise in the North.

The area of Wissous is now in the departement Essonne (91).

The funny looking coach is a double deck coach with an open top deck.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes anybody?   Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Carl, i am impressed, nay, overwhelmed with your knowledge!! I can sleep easy tonight!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes anybody?   Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:46 pm

I don't know much more than that about the railway to Arpajon, only that quite a lot of freight was carried especially fruit and veg during the night to les halles Paris.

Maybe others might be able to elaborate a bit more.

The locomotive is a 030 Tubize.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes anybody?   Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:27 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
Elementary my dear Mikey....

Wissous was a small village now swallowed up with the development of Paris-Orly airport Antony/Rungis etc.

There was a standard gauge tramway called the Chemin de fer Paris-Arpajon. This was all closed down by 1937 so the woman was very immodestly dressed for the period.

Notice it says 'Wissous S et O.' This is the old departement Seine et Oise. Which covered all of Paris from below the river Seine in the South to above the river Oise in the North.

The area of Wissous is now in the departement Essonne (91).

The funny looking coach is a double deck coach with an open top deck.

Shocked

As usual Carl, you've beat me to it !

Anyway I thought it was TOBY the TRAM Engine

C'est la vie!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes anybody?   Today at 12:40 pm

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes anybody?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: