Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

En grève :shock:

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:21 am

What a brilliant move!
The economy is in deep doo doo so lets help it along with a days strike!
I am something of a Francophile but their capacity for self harm bewilders me!
The only positive thing to come out of this collective suicide act is that the Euro may fall in value.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Yes but ... at least the French all stick together for a common cause. In Britain, apathy rules, we just let things happen.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Without going to far into a 'GSM type political free fall argument' I would agree with both of you.

You have a point Andy in that the British people have somehow lost the right or will to protest and the government has lost the ability to listen and understand the people it governs.

Here the opposite still exists. Even Mr Sarko has ears...big ones at that (look at his head Razz).

However there are some archaic working practices in nationalised industries and some very lazy people doing some very unimportant jobs.

My neighbour retires this year at 50. A bus driver for the RATP (Paris transport).
Maybe I am a tad jealous.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:13 pm

MzB wrote:
Yes but ... at least the French all stick together for a common cause. In Britain, apathy rules, we just let things happen.

Crying or Very sad

Agreed............sometimes a government needs to be given a bloody nose Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:31 pm

I agree with what you are saying but everybody thinks that france has to change to drag itself into the 21 century. Sarkozy said a while ago that nobody notices a strike in France these days, and it appears he was right, the news stations are reporting less than 60% support for the strike. Marseilles had the biggest crowds protesting but inParis no trains were cancelled, only a few flights were delayed and very few shops were closed.

mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:42 pm

MzB wrote:

Crying or Very sad
And what exactly have these good paysants achieved for France in the past, other than wreck the economy and run up massive debt even before Gordons recession

Last edited by GeoffW on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:44 pm

mikeyh wrote:
I agree with what you are saying but everybody thinks that france has to change to drag itself into the 21 century. Sarkozy said a while ago that nobody notices a strike in France these days, and it appears he was right, the news stations are reporting less than 60% support for the strike. Marseilles had the biggest crowds protesting but inParis no trains were cancelled, only a few flights were delayed and very few shops were closed.

mikey
Spot on Mikey, loads of bluster but no stomach for a real sustained fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 pm

Oh god this is like looney tunes GSM. I will stop now Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:28 pm

There were actually quite few trains cancelled in Paris. Wifey didn't stop moaning about it but that's normal, strike or not and I had one student who refused to come to class because she was supporting the strike and staying home.

I told not her to bother coming after the strike either. Twisted Evil

We had the suburban RER 'A' line - the French equivalent of the 'misery line' disrupted. This is the fat 'red' one on the map one that goes across Paris west to east and to Disney.
But then you only need someone just to fart and they go on strike there. cyclops

There are mixed feelings around here and people don't know which side to follow. That in itself is a change from last time when a majority of Parisiens were in favour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:21 am

My silent and ongoing admiration for the French people continues...

I wish the English (including me) had the gumption to get off thier arses and do something similar!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:45 pm

Well, we have a bit of a confrontation going on at the Lindsey Oil Refinery over cheap foreign labour taking preference over our own workers. Let's see what comes of that. Unfortunately, I couldn't grasp what their spokesman was trying to say .... Know what I mean ... Aya wi me ... innit ... y'know ...

Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Montblanc

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi everybody

Interesting discussion - and more balanced than usual when it comes to french strikes viewed by "non natives".
I was just a bit worried by the urge for France "to drag itself into the 21st century". Does it mean building an economy based on financial and real estate speculation ? A system in which good medical assistance is only available for those who can pay for it ? Accepting growing inequalities up to the point when the balance of the whole society is in danger ? If so, I think I'd very much prefer cling to the last century a bit longer, thank you.

Another point. French people are a bit schizo about strikes : mad at the practical inconveniences and rather glad that others can express the protest they feel, but cannot express themselves (it's very difficult to get on strike when you are a forced part-time worker for Carrefour). We call this "faire la grève par procuration."

Let me point out that I am not a "fonctionnaire" myself.

Jean-Pierre
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 pm

I think that is a fair judgement Jean-Pierre.

When I came to France I was surprised at the restrictions on credit. We had a lengthy intverview at the bank who explained the strict rules on 'sensible' lending before parting with a modest mortgage.

OK, the economy here is less fluid or dynamic but a certain protectionism has paid off. I don't see or expect suburban house prices to freefall in the same fashion as the UK.
So far here 'dans le banlieu' they have dipped about 3-5% in the last year.

Your observation is interesting with strikes, you being native here. My wife says much the same.

Interestingly I asked a group of 4 SNCF employees at Chelles station what they went on strike for.
I had 4 different answers! Shocked

And maybe the protests we really a showing of feeling rather than an expectancy
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Let me explain what I meant by 'dragging itself into the 21 century'.Its a time of technology and yes France is up there with the best of them,but when it comes to the Internet,thats a different story. Like it or not english (or rather american) is the language of the 'net. Chirac famously insisted that French be spoken wherever possible. He even walked out of a high-powered meeting when one of his ministers addressed the meeting in english. Sarkozy, I think is more pro-american/english and I think, given time, that lots of things will change.
CHANGE, that is the keyword! France has never liked change, its workers have never accepted change easily. The 21 Century is a century of change. Everybody said that the 20 century was a changing time with new inventions et al,but it has nothing on this present century. I'm not saying that all changes will be good but any country that doesnt readily accept change will have a hard time. In my humble opinion of course!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Montblanc

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:49 pm

Well, as far as language is concerned I agree that the battle of diversity is lost, at least on the web, and it's very convenient to have a common language. French people are not gifted for learning foreign languages anyway…

As for change in general, I feel France has changed a lot in the last 20 or 40 years. Suburbs have grown very much american like, jobs have become far more flexible… But recently, "change" has too often meant what we call "la pensée unique" : less state, less protection, globalization, invisible hand of the market, cultural uniformisation… If you don't buy this as a package, you are a "ringard".

Today, we see that this model has serious flaws, to put it mildly. So let's be sure of what kind of change we really want.

Jean-Pierre
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Very true Jean-Pierre, BTW I must compliment you on your english! Your grammar is better than mine ( I am but a simple cockney).

I dont want to shoot myself in the foot but when i think about changes i have to admit it was France that had the foresight to go nuclear with its electricity production, ( a change that the UK is reluctant to make!)
An interesting discussion!

mikey
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:05 pm

I was going to agree with everything that has been said,but as my dad used to say, don`t concern yourself with anything you have no control over.So I think I will disagree.
I will retain the right to change my mind though. lol!
Back to top Go down
Montblanc

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:19 pm

Good point ! Trains are (usually) far easier to control than economics or politics. Let's focus back on the fundamentals…
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:22 pm

As far as economic and social change. France has been proved mostly right in the light of the current climate. The slower French economy will be less vunerable.

But there is one serious important factor that masquerades a lot of these financial problems.

Take a look at how much fighting wars in 2 countries costs....phew!
cost of war
Now there's another argument. bom

As for language...And I teach it. Frenchies aren't that bad at learning English or any other language. In fact they're no worse than any other nationality...and I have taught English at Disney to 97 different ones...!!!

The difficulty that French people have with English is their confidence and pronunciation.
Especially 'h', 'th' and 'r' sounds.

"I hate my teacher"...."I ate my teacher".

I can give lessons if anyone wants.... Wink
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Blimey Carl ,as a cockney who lived in berkshire; I 'ated my teacher too

mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:36 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Blimey Carl ,as a cockney who lived in berkshire; I 'ated my teacher too

mikey

The cockneys start just south of Sunderland
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Oh no...here we go.

A right two and eight goin' down this frog and toad.

Wait for the backlash. bom ...I feel some moderating coming on.

My daughter is actually a real Cockney having been born at the Royal London hospital in Whitechapel road.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:04 pm

I look forward to seeing your pearly suits and hearing tales of the blitz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:40 am

I was born in East Walthamstow ( on a clear day and with the wind in the right direction you could definately hear Bow bells!) my grannies house was hit by a doodlebug. Our favourite meal is pie & mash with green liquor.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:24 am

This is weird.

I hail from the East Side too. Dad was a cockney - took me swimming at Plaistow Baths.

I'm a lifelong West Ham Supporter

But spent the last ten years or so in Berkshire !!!

Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: En grève :shock:   Today at 3:34 pm

Back to top Go down

En grève :shock:
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: