Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Aagh compulsive buyer!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Please tell me that there are others like me! I cannot resist buying/or making, rolling stock for my line. With my other hobbies I may buy a new guitar if its a good deal and i fancy a change, but i dont just buy for the sake of it. I can only run a couple of trains at a time; so why is my collection growing? Can you resist a bargain?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Montblanc

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:07 pm

I can't. My wife can.

JP
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:14 pm

You are not alone mikey, I have a few 000s worth of stuff waiting for the day I actually lay some track - all bargains of course. Course it would help if we stayed in the same place for more than a couple of years.

I had a few guitars too - waiting for the time I could actually use one, it still hasn't come.

The other thing is my mcycle "collection" I still collect spares that "might come in handy" even tho I don't ride them these days.

My wife collects handbags and shoes/clothes in the same way - she always uses the same ones
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:10 pm

I guess I must fall into the category of Compulsive buyer, though the recession is curtailing my habit due to steeply rising prices (Euro/pound exchange rate).

I have 21 Stainz locos.............I'll get my coat.......... Rolling Eyes (There's one missing from the picture)

Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:26 pm

My own buying habits have been effectively controlled by the constraints on the space available to store the items in question. There are other constraints - the gradients on my line mean I can't run long trains, so I am able to make up a lot more different combinations with what I do have. I haven't bought an item of rolling stock for more than a year. Instead I have concentrated more on embellishing what I have (eg weathering etc) or making buildings, or figures of course!

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:11 pm

clive_t wrote:
Instead I have concentrated more on embellishing what I have (eg weathering etc) or making buildings, or figures of course!

And a jolly fine job too. And not forgetting all those figures.
Compulsive purchase of green stuff.

Paul, I just cannot believe anyone has 21 of the same or similar locomotives. That's impulsive!

I don't think I'm compulsive. I would be if I had the money.
But saying that I am seriously feeling the urge to spend the last of the funeral expenses on another small live steam engine.

Oh sod it, they can chuck me on the fire.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 pm

carl hibbs wrote:

Compulsive purchase of green stuff.
Strangely enough, my MIL (who is the very embodiment of obsessive compulsive), got me six (count 'em, SIX!) boxes of Milliput for Christmas, and as a thank you for doing a mercy dash to the local hospital recently - It takes me about a 3 months to get through 1 box! Problem is, the stuff does have something of a finite shelf life, particularly if you make the mistake of stowing it in a south-facing conservatory!

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Message for Carl

I've pm'd you for advice on an Accucraft Lawley, I'm seriously tempted about buying. but the message seems to be stuck in my outbox ???

What are your views on this loco with Futaba 2 channel r/c as a first entry into live steam ?

Thought it relevant under this thread ie a compulsive purchase!

Cheers Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:19 pm

I have responded to your compulsive/impulsive/elusive messages!
BTW message sometimes stay in outboxes for a while and are sent a bit later.

I don't know the Lawleys personally except they had a small chain of overly expensive china and glassware stores around Berkshire in the late 70's. Some of it was just tat.

However the steam locomotive with same name is very similar to other Accucraft products such as Caradoc and Edrig. Don't be scared because it's 0-6-0 it really works the same as the others. It might pull a bit more due to it being heavier.

They are all good entry level machines and you get a lot for your money. Better value in my opinion than products emanating from Doncaster.
Yes I know Accucraft stuff is made in China but let's not go there eh??? Mad

Accucraft engines have their own quirks and need a bit of patience and running in.
My Caradoc is 5 years old and you've seen how easily that runs manually.

Radio Control, although not essential in my experience will enhance the operational enjoyment factor.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:49 pm

[quote="carl hibbs"]I have responded to your compulsive/impulsive/elusive messages!

I don't know the Lawleys personally except they had a small chain of overly expensive china and glassware stores around Berkshire in the late 70's. Some of it was just tat.

quote]

They had one in Wokingham and I walked past it four times a day at least and never saw anyone in there !!!

Thanks for the pm and your generous offer, I have replied !

Cheers brian
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 pm

[quote="GWhizz"]
carl hibbs wrote:

quote]
They had one in Wokingham and I walked past it four times a day at least and never saw anyone in there !!!

Cheers brian

Hey...bloody small world or what.

2 ex pat Brits stuck in France talking about china shops in 30 year old Berkshire.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:13 pm

[quote="carl hibbs"]

Paul, I just cannot believe anyone has 21 of the same or similar locomotives. That's impulsive!

quote]

I can't help myself...... Shocked

I have six U Class, three 2091 diesels, two 2095 diesels............
Part of the reason was due to the possiblity that LGB would disappear completely, And these were the locos I liked the most
for the Austrian theme of the Linz Gstadt Bahn.

Mind you, I know of a guy who used to have 48 Stainz locos.........
Another who has 18 U Class........

I'm not alone Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Brian, There's a good one on ebay at pres, it belongs to SteveLewis of this group (and GSM) I think he is open to a "good" offer. See it at Lawley
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:41 pm

pjti wrote:
Brian, There's a good one on ebay at pres, it belongs to SteveLewis of this group (and GSM) I think he is open to a "good" offer. See it at Lawley

That's actually the one I was referring too but unfortunately my "good" offer has been rejected in favour of a UK local guy who was offering the same amount.

C'est la vie

brian

ps I was pm'ing Steve on another forum outside Ebay and Paypal so no fees involved. Oh and Carl has come up with a better option for me in any case!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:46 pm

[quote="carl hibbs"]
GWhizz wrote:
carl hibbs wrote:

quote]

Cheers brian

Hey...bloody small world or what.

2 ex pat Brits stuck in France talking about china shops in 30 year old Berkshire.

It was only three years ago!

Brian
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:09 am

They're still going then.....Wink

I went to school with one of them, Graham Lawley.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:16 am

Its an easy route to follow.
I try to limit myself to three of anything.
I did have five V52 though but am now down to two, which I want to keep.
There is a fourth 2-8-0 that keeps catching my eye, but keep telling myself noooooooooo!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aagh compulsive buyer!!   Today at 12:15 am

Back to top Go down

Aagh compulsive buyer!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: