I'd always wanted a tendered loco, and not having enough funds "spare" to purchase one I thought I'd have a go at bashing my own.
The only loco that I had that I was willing to take a knife to was an LGB Spremberger that I'd picked up on German Ebay a few years ago. Its a very early version that has no electrics other than the motorblock (including skates), no lights, sound or smoke unit.
Foolishly I didn't take a great many pics during the bash so what I have pictorially is limited to some pics from the web and a couple I took during the build
Here's a pic of the donor loco
I managed to pick up an LGB Toytrain tender from Ebay for a few quid
First job was to strip down the loco (3 screws) and then hacksaw the rear of the cab and the coal hopper away to leave an open footplate
The cab was then lined in plasticard, an extension to the existing roof profile created and the cab sides extended
A lot of filling, rubbing down and re-filling then took place to blend the new parts into the original loco body. This was then sprayed all over with Railmatch BR Black enamel paint (I did try spraying red panels on the water tanks - but to be honest it looked bloody awful!) The loco was then put to one side and left (for about 18 months if I'm honest!