Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A visit from Glyn

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: A visit from Glyn   Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:27 pm

One of the pleasant new people to the forum, Keith George had a fault with his radio-controlled electric powered Glyn tramway locomotive.

As he was in France albeit tucked away in Finistere I said I would have a look at it.
It arrived quickly in la poste and was soon under surgery.

The problem turned out to be luckily no more than a set of faulty batteries following a potentially disastrous short circuit where the fuse failed to blow.

As it happened I managed to rustle up a new set of nicads thanks to some stock that I had from the purchase of a cheap but naff cordless drill a while back.

These 18v drill packs yield 15 x sub c 1200ma Nicads of which I needed 8 for Keith's loco.

Being larger than the AA cells meant making 3 packs and connecting in series together. 4 cells are in one side tank.
3 in the boiler and 1 next to the receiver in the other side tank.

You can see the Mac5 speed controller on top of what looks like an LGB Otto Chassis.

Just a couple of other bits like a faulty charger diode and rewiring of the fuse and it is back in service.

Here it is seemingly quite at home at Chelles-sur-Marne.

It maybe a tad difficult in getting it back to the post office for a while Keith..... Twisted Evil

Here is some film of it back in service on test on the CFG.

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:41 pm

blimey Carl, when I saw the heading i thought my wife had been playing away from home. Thats not too bad but you should write about it??

Mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re Glyn   Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Hello everybody. I am the poor unfortunate that sent Glyn to Carl.. I don't intend to embarass Carl here, but I would like to thank him publicly for his help over the problems I had with the engine.
The battery fault was really down to my poor attempt at soldering and Carl is too nice a guy to say so.
The pictures look so good of the work Carl did, I wish I could do that standard of work. I must say your railway looks superb Carl. I hope after more toil that I can give Glyn a home worthy of her. (Is that a confusion of gender?).
Returning to my still to be finished line would make any self respecting engine sulk, after such surroundings!
I hope it is not a case of a "really useful engine" but a "useless owner"!
Many thanks Carl
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Ahh! More magic dust sprinkled by the Tram Meister !

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:10 pm

GWhizz wrote:
...... the Tram Meister !

Err...he's in Kent. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Keith George wrote:
!
I hope it is not a case of a "really useful engine" but a "useless owner"!

Personne est nul

I can't gaurantee swift postage as the (many) post offices around here are not my favourite places to be.
We (dans le banlieue) don't have the friendly helpful 'do-all' catherinette that you country people are blessed with.

It's mumbling, spectacled excuse-filled Claude and 'don't spoil my day' with that strange parcel, plus the close contest queue fight with the limping, lipstick-laden mamis. scratch
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:58 pm

That loco sits a bit too well on the CFG, Keith - I fear you may have seen the last of it - apart from pics on here maybe! Cool

A nice, simple outline with nevertheless tons of character to it - very suited to a tramway. What's the history of the real thing then?

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Knotty Ash

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:28 pm

[quote="clive_t"]That loco sits a bit too well on the CFG, Keith - I fear you may have seen the last of it - apart from pics on here maybe! Cool

A nice, simple outline with nevertheless tons of character to it - very suited to a tramway. What's the history of the real thing then?[/quote
Afternoon, the Glyn Vallet Railway ran from main line Chirk up the Glyn Valley to the village of Glyn Ceririog and on to the quarries above. The follwing could fill you with infor www.glynvalleytramway.co.uk Les
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Love the loco Keith. Smile

The GVT is just 20km away from me, and is in the throes of being rebuilt.
The original was taken up in 1935 when buses and lorries took over the passenger and freight (slate) traffic.

You can see most of the old track bed in place up the valley.

The Glyn Valley is also known as "Little Switzerland" - it is gorgeous, and I, for one hope the line gets rebuilt soon.

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Knotty Ash

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:04 pm

paul stainz holt wrote:
Love the loco Keith. Smile

The GVT is just 20km away from me, and is in the throes of being rebuilt.
The original was taken up in 1935 when buses and lorries took over the passenger and freight (slate) traffic.

You can see most of the old track bed in place up the valley.

The Glyn Valley is also known as "Little Switzerland" - it is gorgeous, and I, for one hope the line gets rebuilt soon.

Hi Paul, unfortunataly there are now 2 groups the old one at Glyn, the new at Chirk, I have been to see the shed at Glyn and it looks very good, I hope this won't end up like the Welsh Highland Railway. It means that 2 groups will be chasing the same money again, I live 6 miles from Chirk and 4 miles over the mountain to Glyn. In the past I have walked most of thre trackbed were it is off road and up to the mines. Les
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A visit from Glyn   Today at 12:16 am

Back to top Go down

A visit from Glyn
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Model locomotives and rolling stock-
Jump to: