Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

House and railway for sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: House and railway for sale   Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Our house goes on the market with the estate agents on Monday 7th September.
They came to measure up and photograph today and we signed the papers. bom

They have the keys there is someone already interested who will visit on Monday! Shocked

Asking price 252 000 inc. their commission. We'll be prepared to negotiate for a bit less than that.

I'm going to leave track down for the time being until a buyer says they don't want it.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:08 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Carl! Have you found anywhere else yet?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Good luck, fingers crossed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Bon chance!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi Carl,

Good luck with your move. Your layout would be any enthusiasts dream.

Best Regards,
Keith
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:01 am

I hope there is a buyer who is enthusiastic enough to want to keep it rather than me rip it all up.
The estate agent didn't think it would matter either way on the value of the house.
French mentality seems to be if they like they'll keep if not it'll go in the 'monsters' (large scale rubbish collection).

I have produced a leaflet for the estate agent and prospective buyers explaining in French the layout and 'G' scale in general.

I shall obviously lose money on the value of the track by leaving it but after we buy I new house I shall start again with perhaps a different perspective and different budget.
Also I still have my portable layout which has great potential for expansion and development so I am not giving up trains at all.

The main thing for us as a family is to move away from the growing outer-suburbs of Paris.
Although Chelles is quite a reasonable place to live it's getting bigger and busier.

We have seen some good value properties in Normandy (l'Eure) and I'm currently interested in a converted old pressoire for 160k with 5 bedrooms and 5000sqm of land.
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:22 am

[quote="Carl Hibbs"]
I shall start again with perhaps a different perspective and different budget.

Going 16mm Carl Suspect
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:37 am

I had 16mm when I was living in the UK and still have enough (mothballed) equipment for a small line.

Dual gauge is certainly a possibility. Laughing
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Best of luck with your prospective move Carl (can be a very stressful time, as I am sure you know) anywhere nearer to me is fine.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Yep good luck mate - i'm stressed and i'm not even moving!

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Actually I'm not the least bit stressed and I honestly don't really care whether I move or not.

I've got everyting here I need. The only downside is suburbia French style.

I only agreed to move for the others and yes Normandy is quite nice I have to admit.

So there we are. On with the trains.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Well after one week of it being officially on the market at the estate agents we have had 13 enquiries with at least one more visit today most of them OHV - Occupational House Visitors with nothing better to do.

There are a few couples genuinely interested and one who is even interested in keeping the railway in some format.

To be continued....
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Now after 2 weeks and 18 enquiries someone has late today made a sensible realistic offer on paper which we have verbally accepted.

They have now 7 days to consider that and retract if they feel like it but seeing as they visited twce today and once yesterday I hope not!

We didn't see them today so I don't know yet for sure if they want to keep the railway.

But either way sadly it looks like the beginning of the end (certainly for me) for the Chemin de Fer de la Guette.

In the coming weeks I shall be putting together a list of quality items for sale that I foresee no real need for in a future railway plus too we need to pull in a few purse strings as moving house isn't cheap especially with Notaries taking 7% of the purchase price!

If things go smoothly we could be out by Christmas.

Just one rather important thing though, we now need to find another house PDQ....... affraid

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Bon chance Carl Smile

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:05 am

Good look Carl, it would be nice if you could leave the railway down for some one to enjoy your labours, it is very sole destroying taking up a railway you have spent time and love constructing.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:14 pm

That's what I'm hoping for Peter. I will know tomorrow when we speak again to the estate agents here. The woman who came on Friday said that her father was very keen.

We shall see.

This week will be very chaotic as we jump on the great French bureaucratic roller coaster.
It's started already with someone asking for a recent birth certificate of me! lol!

Also today we have made a written offer on a house which has been verbally accepted so we are in really the mix now ~ ~ ~ bounce

To be continued......
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Nearly another week gone already. And a week of uncertainty.

But today marked a big step forward. Our prospective buyers have now turned formally into probable buyers with both parties signing the compromis/promis de vente. This officially starts the legal processes and following the 'cooling off' delay period the contracts become binding.

We met the whole family today for an hour and discussed details. The important one for me being the railway.

To that we have agreed a compromise and I will remove about 30% of the track and the viaducts which will open the garden. They will keep the rest and the existing buildings including the station.

Now also today we have signed a compromis/promis de vente for another house that we want to buy.

To be continued.....
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Hope things keep moving smoothly for you. Good Luck

Patrick
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi Carl

Trust everything is moving along OK?

Was wondering what your model railway plans will be for your new home, particularly with regard to track choice and the layout you have in mind?

Are you going to concentrate on one particular scale ? 16mm ?

You must be very pre-occupied with the move right now, but would love you to share your thoughts when you have a moment!

bon chance

Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Yes Carl, hoping very much that you're having better luck moving than we are buying... Having spent the best part of 1,000 on arranging mortgages, surveys and searches etc, our 'sellers' have decided that it's a little too much like hard work to be looking for a new place to buy, so have decided to stay put.

Oh, and that's without the sum our solicitor is about to charge us for her time spent in this ill-fated venture.

Clive

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Oh shit Clive. This is the house that you were buying for your daughter. I'm very sorry for you as I was there when you were deep in negotiations.

What a bloody do that is. If that was beyond 'les sept jours' here they would have to pay you 20% of the purchase/sale price for backing out. And although the Notaray fees are a scandal here if the purchase falls through you don't usually pay.

Thanks chaps for your support and interest. This is indeed where we are at the moment in that we are waiting for the buyers (of our house) to pass their 7 days 'cooling off/make yer mind up' period under French law. That should expire on Thursday or Friday this week depending on when they received the papers.

We passed ours at midnight last night on the new house. The following stage is the money. We have 45 days to provide the funds for our new house and same for our buyers. This ability to pay is strictly vetted beforehand by the estate agents so it should be ok.
We are waiting for our financial offer as we are shopping around for the best deal at moment. It is a buyers market, rates are low and banks are keen to lend but cautiously.

I won't say anything too much about the new house in case it all goes tits up in the week but come next weekend I will reveal all.

Why do people think I'm going 16mm?....actually I will do abit but G scale/gauge too of course!
It may be a while before a permanent layout is restarted but I will certainly have the portable up and running.

The area we are planning to move to is about half way between the towns of Bernay and Brionne in Eure (dept 27) and if all goes well we have a Notary signing planned for the 28th of December.

It could be strange Christmas this year.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Condolences Clive !

House moving is stressfull enough at the best of times without that!

It's happened to me twice in the past so my thoughts are with you!

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:15 pm

Another few steps nearer moving
The new people want me to leave about half the track down in our current house including the station for their kids.
So that's not too bad.

We visited the new 'estate' in Normandy this weekend and hope to sort out the last financial hiccups his week.
Once that's done it should be the downward run to the Notary and moving which should be at the end of December.

We were invited to the Mayor's house for apperitif on Saturday and found that his son is our next door neighbour!

Here are a few pics of the new place.

The house is nine years old and guaranteed by the builders for another year!

3 bedrooms downstairs and 3 upstairs all at least 3x4mtrs

A very large conservatory.

A few nice trees but not too big.

4000 sqm of very flat and mostly rich grassland....at the moment!

The new railway workshops. 10 mtrs x 4mtrs. Needs finishing off but has electricity and water.

Room with a view. Looking out from one of the upstairs rooms over the pond.
Could be an interesting location for the new railway....

Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Wow Carl, that's fantastic! Everything crossed for you now mate !

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:30 pm

I can just imagine us all next July, drinks in hand ,watching the trains cross the pond!!

Very nice Carl, hope everything goes smoothly from now on (especially as you will have had two b***y birthdays by then!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Today at 6:49 am

Back to top Go down

House and railway for sale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: