Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

House and railway for sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:30 pm

I can just imagine us all next July, drinks in hand ,watching the trains cross the pond!!

Very nice Carl, hope everything goes smoothly from now on (especially as you will have had two b***y birthdays by then!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:08 pm

We might buy a Landrover as well.

Can't live in the country without one and there is a 4x4 garage (and tractor dealers) about 5 mins away.

I don't want to make premature plans as especially no railway exists yet and wont for a while.

But I think a 'meet' of some sort is could be on the cards.

I might get an oval of track up somewhere perhaps.

Also.....The mayor owns a Gite at the back of our house and if peeps want to stay, there are 4 bedrooms in that plus we'll have spare rooms.

Otherwise it's tents and caravans.

I don't ever think we could emulate Geoff's though especially the food.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:25 am

It looks like an excellent purchase Carl, Great house, garden and engine workshop. (pm me the location please) I am sure will be looking forward to a meeting next year. Geoff’s weekend was the ultimate experience in G rail meetings so I think we will all accept what we individually can do in the way of catering etc even if it is DIY.

What’s the caravan access like? Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:52 am

French Chuffed wrote:

What’s the caravan access like? Exclamation

This is the 'long' drive to the workshop/garage separate from the entrance to the house.

The pond is in the fenced area to the right.

Plenty of space for parking and caravans.

And you can hook up to fresh water and electricity.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 am

Carl,

looks a fabulous property and seems to be big enough for a ride on railway as well as 32/45mm.

Good luck with the move and transactions.

David.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:45 pm

Yes Carl looks like an ideal temporary camp site. You’ve done well there Boy!!

Ride on railway, now thats an interesting idea.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Congratulations. Chateau Hibbs has a nice ring to it. Although I had pictured a quaint 19th century farmhouse, the real one is quite nice, and the property itself, magnifique. I think you should skip the Land Rover and go for a Pinzgauer.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:57 pm

We looked at a lot of real 'Norman' half-timbered properties like old pressoirs but they are very narrow and generally difficult to maintain.

I'm at a stage in my life where house maintainence/home DIY is not something I enjoy anymore so this more modern house fits the bill.

We still have some financial dealings to resolve yet so I don't want to draw up any track plans.

A short ride-on tramway could well be a possibility though and I am waiting to see what my nice friend Mr Phil Kelly has unearthed in the way of some Decauville track. Laughing

If not we may go for some 7 1/4 traction as seen on Troy's forum today.

Landrovers are easy to maintain and I have full set of imperial Whitworth tools but a Pinzguauer is certainly a mean machine. The Ghurkas had some in the UK at one time.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Carl: The owner is being "tracked" down Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:35 pm

60cm? 7 1/4? Let me know in plenty of time so i can regauge my stock Carl Very Happy

Mikey

Last edited by mikeyh on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Despite selling a few surplus items I'm certainly not giving up 45mm but I will a have simpler circuit than before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:44 am

And I just sold a Land Rover Series IIa Carl, would have done the job for you! California car with no tinworm!!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:54 am

I last had a Landrover (early series 11a and.... a V8 Range Rover) about 10 years ago in the UK. Of course now I wish I had never sold it. It went everywhere and whilst I was still in the army (TA) it was regularly serviced and kept in top mechanical condition.

I would like another but finding a decent 11a/111 or straight 90 at a sensible price and convincing my wife that they make good reliable 'shopping-trip' cars is difficult. Neutral
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:34 am

If you do end up with a Land Rover then you do have to factor in the cost of parts and servicing over here! We have a "faux" Land Rover - a Freelander, but apart from major items, service it myself, and get the parts shipped in from Paddock UK Great service, parts a fifth of French Land Rover Dealers, and very reasonable shipping costs.

You used to be able to pick up Left Hand drive bargains back in the UK, but since the car scrappage scheme, UK s/h prices have gone througfh the roof!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:06 am

My wife doesn't have the same mentality about driving a 20+ year old Landrover as me.

There are number of ex military dealers selling LHD 2.5 diesel 90's for around £8,000 fully prepared ex-MOD reserve stock.

These would make a decent vehicle but I can't justify that money which would buy a brand new Twingo or similar.

I might think about something cheaper for restoration though.
Holland and Belgium could be good sources and both armies used landrovers, the latter built their own, 'Minerva' a sort of cross between a lightweight and a series 1.

The French army also used a few lightweights under the name Commando.

Well see. I would like a 'Mehari' too....!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 am

Wish i had a euro for every person i know, who having bought a house with a nice bit of land, then bought a landrover! Green wellies and barbour jacket to follow? Hehe.
Personally I think they may be reliable but are the most uncomfortable vehicle ever designed!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:37 am

All joking aside we;ve had a couple of L/rovers. the last one was when we had the Tipi site. we had a petting zoo and i bought an old landrover that was permanently stuck in second gear. We painted it in safari stripes and used it to take the hay round all the animals. good laugh just off road (when they really come into their own!!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:14 pm

To stay beautifully off topic. You need to be mad to have a land rover.
I have had Land Rovers for the past 16 years first a 110 county that I re engined with a 2000 tdi with a large intercooled. Went very well if noisy and leaky, I had that for 9 years, I then had a 3.9 Range Rover that I converted to lpg that was ok but needed an engine re build after a while, so traded it in for a 3 year old Discovery td5 very comfy, but needs re chipping for low down power.
Just proves I am mad.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:40 pm

I've had since the tender age of 19....
4 Series 11a's, one with a Ford V6 conversion, 1 LWB converted to diesel that drank more oil than fuel, a fwd control 101 V8 ex army, that was the best but nearly bankrupt me at less than 10mpg, a series 111 Lightweight, a series 111 Safari plus an early 90 diesel briefly and lastly a Range Rover V8.
Plus I've driven most army derivitives especially the ambulance conversions.

You're right Peter you must be mad to have a Landrover.....

The ultimate bird puller... Cool especially the 1 tonne fwd control... hehe. I used to go Ragamuffin's night club in Camberley.

I once picked up (almost literally) a nice girl in it but she refused to let me take her home to her door.
"Just drop me at the end of the street...I don't want people seeing me get out of an old truck!"

She also asked me to pay for the dry cleaning to get the grease stains out of her skirt which she also split trying to climb up into the cab. tongue

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:45 pm

And you still havent learnt your lesson? Very Happy Very Happy you sadist/!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:54 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Personally I think they may be reliable but are the most uncomfortable vehicle ever designed!!

Mikey
You, sir, have obviously never had the pleasure of riding in a Hindustan Ambassador or a Toyota Kijang. Wonderfully third-worldish vehicles.

Ah, a Mehari. What a wonderful idea.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Bill i've never even heard of them!! Very Happy

This is what Carl should have;

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:11 pm

What is this affinity between Garden Railways and Land Rover ownership Shocked

I had THREE yes THREE Series 1's 1600 petrol models at various times in my late teens early twenties!

They had that strange not OHV, not side valve, engine that guzzled gas and did about 15mpg if you were lucky! You also sat on the petrol tank - most disconcerting!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:12 pm

You're so right Brian. hadn't thought of that. perhaps its an 'engineering' thing

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Yes Mikey, sure it is an engineering thing. The early ones were just like a big Macano set
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:29 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Bill i've never even heard of them!! Very Happy

Mikey

Mikey:
The Hindustan Ambassador began life as a Morris Oxford. Built under license in the Hindustan Motors factory on Calcutta from 1958 until just recently it was a jewel of 1950's engineering. They actually imported some to the UK in 1993, but sales were very disappointing (go figure). I had the pleasure of repairing one when it broke down outside of Madras one a very dark night in 1990. Pretty simple under the bonnet- there were only 6 fuses as I recall. Me and my Irish compadre got it running again.

The Kijang is an SUV sort of vehicle built in Indonesia. it marries a locally produced body (looks kind of like an Isuzu Trooper) with a Toyota pick-up truck chassis. They (and similar other vehicles) are quite popular since they are relatively cheap (taxed as a truck, not a car) and no doubt reliable due to the Toyota runing gear. But they ride like a truck with very little suspension compliance.

Bill

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   Today at 12:41 pm

Back to top Go down

House and railway for sale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: