Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:06 pm

Alec wrote:
Now I would buy a model of this!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is 'number 14' the ex Sierra Leone Hunslet 2-6-2T.

If so Pearse make a model of this but in a red colour. I prefer the the black.

You keep posting Alec. We love pictures. Wink
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Shocked

I must go there..................
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Alec wrote:
Got a few more from the Gala, I'll post them later , hope posting lots of photo's of NG real/models is OK on here as I know it hacked a fair few people off on another G scale froum that I used to belong to.

Post away we like pictures

Van
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:55 pm

OK happy to post photos of all the lines around here, heres the ferret

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:55 pm

Preping

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Just like LGB!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Steam everywhere
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Took lots of pics from below the pit

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Like this

Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Nice pics Alec - we were there on the Friday, and i did click away like a man repossessed so hopefully i will be able to post a few of the less rubbish ones when i get round to it.

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:00 pm

I feel a trip coming on next year. I haven't been to North wales for 5 years.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Well as it is such a nice show but I did see a comment 'elsewhere' in between biscuits about a lack of layouts.
How about I ask the organisers if they might be interested in my portable layout affair with a few different locos from the norm and what say we make an occassion of it next year chaps.
We could meet on my layout with people bringing their stock.
Paul will be on at least steam engine number 3 by then!

I'll hire a van and come across for the duration and find a cheap hotel or an old girlfriend in Chepstow.
If anyone fancies the trip from France (probably Normandy by then) they can come along.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:49 pm

That was the first dedicated 'large-scale' show I've been to as far as I can recall.

All in all it was a good show, aside from the perennial problem of wheelchair access around the halls and between them. I think the observation that it was a bit top-heavy in terms of trade stands is probably a valid one. Having said that, it would be easy to criticise a show for lack of layout content, without necessarily having to put in some thought as to why that might be.

Personally, I think the reason for this is, that there are far fewer good-quality, portable layouts in these sorts of scales than one would expect to count in the smaller scales. Some of them I've seen are little more than 'test tracks' for rolling stock (live-steam or otherwise) with the absolute bare minimum of scenic interest.

There were some nice layouts though - I was particularly taken with the O-gauge Southern end-to-end layout salted away in one of the squash courts ('Upsan Downs' I think it was called). A few of them I'd seen before at other shows, such as Timpdon Wharf (which guested at the Solent Group's Wickham show last year); always a good layout to watch, 32mm gauge, mostly live steam, and with lots of eye-catching vignettes to amuse and entertain.

Not sure why some of the 'trade' was there to be honest - Accucraft had a stand but didn't seem to be selling anything, other than the opportunity to talk to Ian Pearce if one was of a mind to. I'll wager though they were silently kicking themselves that they did not have a batch or two of 'Countess/Earl' live-steamers to hand - I have no doubts that significant numbers of them, and the Pickering coaches that make up the W&L set, would have literally flown off the shelves. Certainly at least one of each would have made it into the boot of my car had the opportunity presented itself there and then.

Bachmann were there too, but their presence seemed to me to be little more than a PR opportunity - 2 'suits' manning the stand were themselves pretty much static exhibits all day, apart from receiving the odd ear-bashing from some irate customer or other.

The G-Scale Society had a stand as one might have expected, about as far away from the main action as was possible to get. I still found it amusing that most people stopped to chat, but a few (with their 16mmNGM embroidered jumpers on) practically wore their top lip out with sneering at it. I guess that sort of attitude is still there even now, although to be fair it probably isn't as bad as it used to be.

Given the distances involved for me (500+ miles round trip) I probably wouldn't have gone there for just that show. The fact that they obviously planned it to coincide with the W&L steam gala weekend would have swayed quite a few besides me. In terms of spending, I did about 200 on really not very much - some books, a dvd, a rolling road, some lineside odds and sods - nothing major, it just contrived to add up to a reasonably big number.

I think if I go there again next year, I will take the opportunity to plan the visit a bit better; maybe take in some other of the Welsh NG lines and perhaps some other garden lines in the area. If a bunch of us end up going there, then it might be a good crack to get installed in the same hotel. For reference, we stayed at the Premier Inn Hotel in Oswestry (about 23 miles from Llanfair, but about 15 from Welshpool) - it was comfortable, and good value for money at 130 for 2 adults x2 nights including breakfast. Could have done with being a bit closer to the show, but was compensated by the fact it's about half way between Llanfair and Paul's place! (20-ish miles the other way)

Clive

Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Looking forward to next year's show already Very Happy

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:57 am

As mentioned earlier, we went to the W&L on Friday, which we figured would be a quieter day. Not so!

But it was a nice day, and there was plenty going on around the place for me to snap wildly at with my camera. Here's a couple of pics from that day:

First, the W&L's latest recruit - Acting Junior Fireman Steven!

Here's the Countess just arrived from Welshpool, 8 miles away...

I think a model of this would look the part on my line... Cool

Clive

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Nice pictures Clive.
In your earlier post you said this

Quote :

Personally, I think the reason for this is, that there are far fewer good-quality, portable layouts in these sorts of scales than one would expect to count in the smaller scales. Some of them I've seen are little more than 'test tracks' for rolling stock (live-steam or otherwise) with the absolute bare minimum of scenic interest.

Do you or does anyone expect or prefer to see a scenic g scale layout at exhibitions?

I ask because my portable layout is just a test track/train set but I have been looking at ways to make it more appealing and that includes some possible simple scenery or scenic features.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:15 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Do you or does anyone expect or prefer to see a scenic g scale layout at exhibitions?

I ask because my portable layout is just a test track/train set but I have been looking at ways to make it more appealing and that includes some possible simple scenery or scenic features.
Well I guess it's a personal thing; different people see an exhibit in different ways, and will also have differing expectations of it. I think trains running on a test track will really only appeal to those who are interested in the actual loco, or the stock or perhaps some facet of the track, e.g. if the point-work is hand-made. Those people will tend to be fellow hobbyists.

More casual punters, who neither know nor care who makes what loco, or that a point is hand-made, may for a short while be entertained by the sight of a particular train or the fact that the loco is spewing out real steam/oil/scalding hot water everywhere, but will more likely be drawn to (and spend more time watching) layouts that offer some other visual interest as well.

Personally, I like layouts that have some scenic interest, but I like to see good quality modelling and operational interest too (including reasonably scale speeds). My wife loves Timpdon Wharf, because of the sheer number of little scenes (some of them, admittedly, brilliantly animated) going on away from the main action (ie the trains trundling past!) I like it too, but what puts me off it slightly is that there is almost too much going on! A bit like an episode of East Enders, where we are treated to 3 muggings, 4 rapes, a brace of drug busts, a slightly tricky situation with a pork pie and the assassination of the pub landlady's pet poodle, all in one Christmas episode. Entertaining it may be, but is it real life? The other thing that I don't like about it is their steadfast refusal to ballast the track anywhere. They haven't even disguised the fact that the track is screwed to a wooden base-board.

I would say, that a modest amount of scenic interlude would serve to broaden the appeal of the layout as a whole. If you could rig it so that your live diesel started a miniature line-side fire when it started up, though, that would be Joe KickAss in my book!

Clive

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:31 am

My limited experience and observation is based upon three G exhibits at last years Paris Expo....

Carl's predominantly live steam exhibit with a loop of track but no "scenery"

St Jean sur Mare - a superbly crafted linear scenic diorama in G

A french couple (can't recollect who) with a loop of track a few Pola buildings scattered about running LGB electrics on a flat table

No surprise that the first two layouts created the most interest. St J M was continuosly popular, Carl's very popular when running and the other layout kind of fell between two stalls and seemed to be passed by continuosly.

So the morale here - unless you go all out and build a diorama I would concentrate on the activity factor to haul in the crowds!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 am

I guess you have to ask - why do you go to exhibitions? I am very interested in seeing what other people do, even if it is the smaller scales. And I guess that my main interest is in rolling stock. I agree with Brian about St Jean sur Mer - I cannot imagine doing indoor G scale better both scratchbuilt and LGB based locos, railcars and stock were superb - give you ideas for what is possible in motive power and scenery. Carl's layout attracted customers because of the novelty of live steam (yougsters and casual visitors) and the range of locos he ran (the model railway cognoscenti) (If the monster had been able to perform indoors that would have drawn the crowds.)

In UK, the G1 people have layout that turns up from time to time - last seen earlier this year by me at Ally Pally - basically a two track oval but the attraction of live steam, scale models of whole trains - an A4 or Coronation with ten on - it's like trainspotting when I was a kid. Almost no scenery...but really interesting!

By contrast some G Scale people have a portable layout with out of the box LGB (plus a couple of live steamers) Poor attempt at scenery (a bit like the third G Scale layout at Villebon as decribed by Brian) electric locos with no catenary, trains from everywhere in Europe - but with one small module a yard with 45 mm wagons being shunted on to 63mm trucks - great idea. "Bigness" did attract interest from kids...

I agree with Clive that Timpdon Wharf is a lovely layout - lots going on. In general at exhibition layouts, there has to be a train moving somewhere all the time.

Mostly you have to admire. Can't see myself ever putting that kind of effort into an exhibition layout, I'm afraid. I guess I would say that what attracts is integrity - "this is what I (or we) have done". So - if you want to exhibit - build what shows off your work - Renoir did't poll public opinion before he started painting.

Phil
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:49 am

Any layout of the standard of St Jean sur Mer would be welcome and appreciated at any exhibition.

So the answer to your question Carl, an empatic yes to any quality scenic layout. Smile

Obviously, the size of G Scale makes producing such a layout a big "ask" - especially in transportation and setting up...............

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 pm

If carl's layout were mine i would make a roll-up canvas backcloth ~(about 2 feet high) that could be stretched alongside the front straight. It would be painted with houses or factories or landscape and a bit of sky. the trains would disappear around each end creating the same illusion as smaller scale layout. I would also ballast the track along the front straight. The addition of a couple of model houses in front of the backcloth would complete a scenic layout pleasing to the eye at minimum cost. Just my opinion of course!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:47 pm

To follow on heres what i did with my N scale layout 'Lainten'

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:08 pm

All opinions are welcome, valued and noted .

The problem with being one man band is as Paul pointed a logistical problem.

St Jean-sur-mere is exquisite but requires a group of people, large transport and a long set up, plus regular maintainance.

If scenery is the way to go then I will have to look at ingenious ways to transport it and set it up on my own.

Mikey's idea is worth noting and has possibilities. I have a few ideas too along the lines of backscenes and folding card.

Ballasting seems to be quite important to people but the weight of stone ballast is far too much. My boards are just light enough for me to carry. Maybe granulated cork might be worth looking at.

Keep the opinions coming and any more photos of the Llanfair show!
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Its a conundrum. Neutral

The best setting for G Scale is (stating the obvious) in the garden.

But promotion is best done at an exhibition.

There is a fellow G scaler by the name of Dave Dowling who lives about 2 kms away from Llanfair station, he has a gorgeous garden railway at the back of his cottage with a superb rolling green hills backdrop.

As it happens, Dave has an open weekend when the WLR has its steam gala and the show is on..........

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September   Today at 6:06 am

Back to top Go down

Llanfair Show - Saturday 5th September
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: