Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Power confusion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: Power confusion   Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:12 am

I want to run/am running live steam ,battery power, and track power together. I have a 24v 1 amp lgb controller but i am getting confused as to the power of the LGB/playmobil motors. I am running the playmobil chassis with a 7.2v AA pack.no probs. What power should the Stainz's be run on (whats their motor size)? At the moment using a 14v power tool battery.

If I'm lucky enough to get hold of a corpet ,will that run on the same size pack as the stainz?
BTW most of the electric locos are fitted with track/battery switches.

I want to run all locos as slowly as possible (if that has a bearing on the battery size)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Power confusion   Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Mikey. LGB run on the 24v transformer thatís what it is made fore, but if you only want to run slow a lower voltage is perfectly ok. As you lower the voltage the current drain will increase slightly.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Power confusion   Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Ohm ikey.

LGB/Playmobil and nearly all G scale stock (disclaimer) will run off the pretty much standard analogue sytem of 18-24 dc.

If you reduce the voltage the trains (locomotive's motors) will go slower. That's how many controllers work.

However some (big) motors will draw a greater current than others and to make them go as slowly you will need to increase the available current directly or by increasing the voltage.

In other words if you are going to run on low voltage battery power make sure you are using chunky high current cells. AAs are ok but 'C' or 'sub C' are better (and more expensive).
You should use at least 2300mah (2.3 amp hours).

Best buy for Nicads/NiMH are the cheap cordless drills, you can dismantle the battey backs and cells and remake you own with the cells like I did for that nice chap in Finistere. They're often at least 2-3ah 'C' cells.

BTW do not connect them in parallel to increase power like ordinary (lead acid) batteries.

That is of course is another alternative. Motorcycle batteries or alarm system standby batteries . You can get some that just fit in a goods wagon.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Power confusion   Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks Peter and Carl thats really helpful.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Power confusion   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:53 pm

I have used this rechargeable Li-Ion battery with success:
http://www.inesun.com/show-10408,YSD-12300.html

I installed one in an LGB 2090 Diesel and it ran for 5 hours before going flat. The battery pack has an internal fuse (probably a polyswitch) and under/over charge protection built in. It's very compact and lightweight (unlike SLA batteries). It will deliver approx. 11-12 volts. I also tested it to see how many amps it will deliver before the breaker shuts it down - I had 4 single motor LGB locos running off mine pulling approx 1.7 amps, so it will easily handle any single or double motored LGB loco. The breaker actually tripped if I tried to start all 4 locos at once, so I'm guessing the limit is around 2 amps. The only downside is the supplied charger is only 350 mA, so it takes a long time to recharge. For $26 including free air-mail shipping, it's a deal.

The vendor also sells other size LI-Ions- from 1800 up to 9000 mAh. There are also eBay merchants with similar batteries.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Power confusion   Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:50 pm

Thanks Bill...

I should keep up with technology, Nicad and Nimh are fast becoming dinosaurs. study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power confusion   Today at 12:43 pm

Back to top Go down

Power confusion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Tips and advice-
Jump to: