Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Book Recommendation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Book Recommendation   Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm not one for reading train related literature (although I read constantly).This one has a fine bit of history mixed in and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

The Subterranean Railway: How the London Underground Was Built and How it Changed the City
by Christian Wolmar .

Click on link below.

Book link
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Christian will be pleased - I'll pass this on to him. You might also look for Fire and Steam - the history of how modern Britain was made by the railways - and Blood Iron and Gold - how the railways transformed the world...Both from Atlantic Books..

Phil
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Yes.Please pass on my best regards to the author.
I'll also look up the other titles you suggested.
Thanks.
(I will mingle them with my other reading matter though.Wifey's worried.Although she want's to read the underground book after me.Hang on...now I'm worried.)

Nurse !

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Anyone that has read this book will be interested in this.Unfortunately I can't get up there.Probably a once in a lifetime chance missed.

Brunel tunnel
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 pm

The book is good, got it, but I would say it will have been much better to add more pictures, maps and detailed plan. If you have no previous knowledge of the place is talking about, it hard to figure sometimes.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 pm

There's a great connection with Normandy as the Brunel family came from Hacqueville.
The university in Rouen is named after them.

IKB was born in Portsmouth but his parents were French.......!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:19 am

Reading that article just shows what a fantastic achievement that tunnel was.

I can remember standing at the end of the platform at Rotherhithe as a kid with my father looking into the tunnel towards wapping.

That was when it was a real grimy underground railway with red trains and still working docks above ground.....
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:12 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Actually his mother, Sophia (nee Kingdom) was English - Marc Brunel was indeed French though. The irony of it was that he (Marc) made his name by devising a machine for mass-producing blocks that were an integral part of the rigging for the Royal Navy ships of the time. He was also a part-time teacher for quite a bit of Isambard's childhood!

As an aside, it always seemed odd to me that a boy should bear the maiden name of his mother as his middle name. However, in the 19th Century it seems was something of a fashion - in the course of investigations into my own family history, I encountered examples of this. One of my great-grandfathers was a gentleman by the name of Edward Hathaway Bane - his mother's maiden name was Virtue Hathaway!

By way of being back on topic (!) I read about this 'tunnel rave' somewhere else - but with a footnote that after this opening it would be sealed forever. Crying or Very sad I hope that isn't true, seems to me it that if it wasn't going to be used any other way, it could become something of a tourist attraction all over again.

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:45 pm

clive_t wrote:
Carl Hibbs wrote:

By way of being back on topic (!) I read about this 'tunnel rave' somewhere else - but with a footnote that after this opening it would be sealed forever. Crying or Very sad I hope that isn't true, seems to me it that if it wasn't going to be used any other way, it could become something of a tourist attraction all over again.

You will be able to ride through it, Clive. This is a one off public open day before the refurbished Tunnel takes up its new role as part of the East London Line extension - from south east London through to my local station at Highbury and Islington (which is being rebuilt right now to take the new service). Not quite the RER, but a great use of 19th century engineering as part of a much needed 21st century urban rail link. Thank you IKB!
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Wapping Tunnel open days link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8565534.stm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Recommendation   Today at 4:35 pm

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: