Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

GSC and the French Language

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: GSC and the French Language   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
...Phew...a bit dodgy in my garden at the moment. Railway development suspended!

A lot of gunfire going on. They're blooming hunting across the road.

I think there are some foxes about worrying the sheep.

Dangerous place this countryside. scratch

Welcome to the country side Carl.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: GSC and the French Language   Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Owls tonight.....

Several of them......screeching.

I saw one in a tree, tiny thing with a pale face like a small barn owl, (chouette des clochers).

There are two words in French, Un hibou (with small ears) and une chouette (with a round fat face).

Oh...and small bats too flying across the garden in the dusk, chauve souris in French (bald mouse).

Maybe the owls were hunting the bats....

That's all from Nature Watch Normandy tonight. study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GSC and the French Language   Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:02 pm

mikeyh wrote:
BTW Welcome to the French countryside Carl. we have the hunters every sunday during the season. If they cant get a deer (havent seen one round here in the last 5 years), they;ll settle for a fox (but only if its causing a nuisance), then its down to pigeons,finches,sparrows (anything that moves) Tell me why hunters spend a lot of money on camouflage gear and then have to wear a fluorescent jacket and hat in bright orange? (are all animals colour blind?)

mikey

Apparently yes! they cant see the orange but humans can................
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: GSC and the French Language   Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:25 am

Your new neighborhood sounds like fun to me. I live is a suburban area, actually within the City of Houston, me and 50,000 or so of my neighbors. I regularly see all sorts of wildlife, including deer, raccoons, opossums, rabbits, hawks, owls, eagles, ducks, geese, & huge woodpeckers. There's even wild hogs in the area. No shooting, though, since it's illegal in the city. Thank God for that.

And, yes, most animals do not see colors, only greyscale. The bright orange stuff is so the idiot next to you can see you're a person & not discharge his shotgun in your direction,

BTW, this thread has taken an interisting turn off course. An improvement, methinks.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: GSC and the French Language   Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 am

Hi Carl
As others have said you'll have to get use to the hunting - round here they hunt big time Thursdays and the weekend! And rough shooting every other day of the week - hardly a few hours go by between October and March without the sound of a shotgun or the more distinctive crack of a high power rifle - my neighbour hunts with a 303!

Despite having deer occasionally leaping across our field the hunters seem to be respectful of livestock and I've not yet seen them pursue quarry across a field with equines in it even though we haven't registered it "chasse interdit" with tyhe local Mayor.- perhaps another reason to get a PONY !

I've invested in one of those dayglo orange hunter's hats and wear a high viz waistcoat if I walk in the woods during the hunting season with the dogs!

Like others I'm astounded by the profusion of wildlife given the amount of hunting that goes on! In many ways the hunting is protective of the environment - though don't take that as a pro-hunting statement!

It's good to see the thread drift here - away from events on another forum!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GSC and the French Language   Today at 12:39 pm

Back to top Go down

GSC and the French Language
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: