Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Still alive!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: Still alive!   Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi all. Just to let you know I'm still alive and kicking. For the last month or more I've been troubled by a kidney stone, which if you've ever had one is one of the most painful things i've ever experienced; nurse coming in every day giving me an injection in the bum to try and open up the tubes and finally going to hospital and having ultra sound to break it up, that wasnt painful at all but peeing through a tissue into a seive to make sure I passed it all was great fun (not)!
Anyway although I've kept an eye out on here I havent posted anything nor even thought about modelling at all. Feeling great now though and hoping to participate in anything that might interest me!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Mikey, sorry to hear of your problems, but glad your on the mend. I hope everything else has being going ok for you, hopefully the milder weather is approaching and modelling can start again.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Kidney stones are pretty scary and very unpleasant at best.
I can feel your pain

I had to drink plenty of fluid.....The non alcoholic type!

Good to have you back, modelling or not. Cool
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Passing a Kidney stone is one of those things where at first you're afraid you're going to die and later you're afraid you won't. Glad you're back to the picture of health.

Maybe you could use your ordeal as an excuse to acquire something new for the railway. Laughing

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:52 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Feeling great now though and hoping to participate in anything that might interest me!!
mikey
Dunno why, but when I read this I was reminded of the film The Green Mile, with Tom Hanks, just after he was magically 'cured' of his urinary infection! Twisted Evil

Funnily enough though Mikey it occurred to me only this evening that we hadn't heard from you in a while. So now we know why, and more importantly that you're on the mend and back amongst us! Welcome back.

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Welcome back Mikey - glad to hear you're better Very Happy

Phil
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Glad you are over it Mikey, good to see you back. Very Happy

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 am

I've had 3 sets of kidney stones now - that's one of the problems in that once you've had one then you're prone to a repeat. Cranberry Juice is, I am told, the best preventative. By all accounts drink loads of water (beer is also effective!) - if ever your pee looks "strong" then you could be heading for trouble as you're not drinking enough! Having climbed off the ceiling now on each occasion, I am not keen for a repeat - like anyone that's had one. As for filtering, we gave up using loose tea after the last bout!!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:39 am

totally agree. this was my second. for anyone who hasnt had one; it would be no problem if the stones were smooth round pebbles, but they're not. Sharp crystals which grow like a stags antlers in the maze of tubes iaround your kidneys. Sorry about this but i'd rather be anally raped by the
Pope than have another one!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:14 pm

mikeyh wrote:
totally agree. this was my second. for anyone who hasnt had one; it would be no problem if the stones were smooth round pebbles, but they're not. Sharp crystals which grow like a stags antlers in the maze of tubes iaround your kidneys. Sorry about this but i'd rather be anally raped by the
Pope than have another one!!

Mikey

Be careful Mikey,the pope might be a member on here,you never know which way a crucifix can swing.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:55 am

Only just caught up with this thread - glad you're over the troubles - no wonder you were keeping a low profile!

Just reading about it was enough!

Is there a way to avoid these things? Diet? lifestyle? It sounds like something I'd like to avoid at all cost!

Just don't tell me that you have to avoid sex and red wine!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:45 am

Avoid sex ...and red wine? no way jose!!

Seriously though there are at least five types of kidney stone,4 of which can be dissolved naturally. the doc told me that at the first sign of discomfort ,(not pain) in your kidneys ,drink a lot of fresh orange,pineapple, diluted lemon juice as you can manage. This makes your urine acidic and can sometimes dissolve a stone in as little as 4 hours. Years ago surgery was the only answer but now ultrasound and laser treatment whicvh smashes the stone is the cure-all. As Brede said if you;ve had one your prone to others. it's also a genetic thing,but not always.
Anyhow back to the trains!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I've still got my last one - hard to believe that such a little bastard can cause so much pain. I tried to selotape it to a bit of card so it didn't get lost - it cut through the tape as if it didn't exist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still alive!   Today at 6:17 pm

Back to top Go down

Still alive!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: