Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:56 pm

They are reporting storm force winds for this Sunday affraid along the west and North West of France. (The BBC weather that is king )
So I have brought all my buildings in doors to prevent them flying around the garden, letís hope the track stays where it is.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:15 pm

I got caught out last night. Monsieur Meteo had forecast a thunderstorm on wednesday but we had sunshine all day. Last night we had a tempest, thunder, lightning, the lot. Several rooves blown off the outdoor railway buildings, but no damage. Roll on spring!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:12 am

Had a sleepless night last night with the sounds of the very high winds (it was like having our own 'chuffer'). Walked around this morning; couple of branches down from the walnut trees and the top of the compost heap blown off but really nothing to worry about. Hope everybody fared OK especially in the 'condition rouge' areas.

mikey
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:46 am

Hight wind here, lot's of rain as well. Meteo said wind arround 130 km/h this morning.

Will see that, got to go to the backery to buy the baguette and croissant, not too far luckily.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:08 am

Last night was calm but the high winds are just starting here. The sky is an angry black and the noise sounds like they've still got the V1 rocket base in the village and practising.

It's Forte tempÍte Xynthia apparently.

I just wish she'd blow herself away.

Gusts of 150 kms an hour are expected. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 am

We're in the grip of it right now......

Horizontal rain, big waves on the pond, flying branches and the pergola is about to go to the next field.....

affraid
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 am

The weather has gone mad. we've got bright sunshine this morning!! Stay safe guys.

mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:58 am

Had the wind yesterday on the Bay of Biscay Coast , I managed to locate all the gaps between the roof and the walls / windows so now I can pump foam into them. No it's not an old house, but it ain't half draughty at times. We got a "Cathedral" ceiling and it has it's own mini climate.
What is amazing is that the wind was HOT here, over 24 I think. Hardly , if any rain at all, it's really strange to stand in a "hurricane force" wind and actally feel like you are in an oven.

Mrs Cuesta says that more is on the way . She has just advised me of the "terrible noises" the house was making last night, (I use earplugs cos she snores sometimes).

BTW If you think the "Sky Weathergirls" are nice you should see the ones on Spanish tv.

And it is sunny and warm today.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:01 pm

We had a lovely sunny a warm day, but it was yesterday afternoon, now it's dark and windy, not as much as the morning
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 pm

The pergola's hanging in there by one leg at 30į. The rabbits have all disappeared and the sheep with new lambs across the road are sheltering in a hollow. They don't even trust their shed!

....oh and I've just looked the weather bulletin and heavy snow is forecast for Thursday with temperatures down to -8. Shocked

It's getting just a bit tiresome now. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Here- this will make you all feel better:
http://dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/160556/Weather-Hottest-January-ever-say-climate-experts

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Well the storm pretty well missed us, a bit blowy around 3am, but had moved most of the blow able stuff from the garden.

What is this about this snow on Thursday Carl, I am supposed to be on the ferry at 9.30 am.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:21 pm

pjti wrote:

BTW If you think the "Sky Weathergirls" are nice you should see the ones on Spanish tv.

At last.Something of interest Very Happy Wink

Joke !!!

As an aside.I've just returned from London.All OK there,usual weather.
Very soggy here though.Watch out for standing water on the motorways.
No wind.

update.
Sprouts with tonights dinner.
May change wind predictions
Laughing
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Well as it is Sunday Troy : Ms Lisa Burke and she don't mean Charlotte Church

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Very nice Patrick. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Well we survived so far.

A couple of small trees uprooted and the neighbours telephone line came down but apart from that all okay.

We are on a high plateau and get a bit of wind but not much flooding.

Is everyone else all right? Serious problems in Charente (Brian...) looking at the news and horrors in Spain too.

Just checked Monsieur Meteo (aussi connu comme Monsieur Menteur).

No snow now! Cold, sub zero temperatures towards the end of the week though.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:39 am

Well we're still here - Just!

Thursday Night was WILD ! Sheet lightning in every direction, I unplugged everything phones electric TV so we got through OK!

Saturday was the killer though 105 kph winds. Glass coldframe smashed to bits, railway buildings scattered and electrics full of water. Various trees down and blocking the "chemin vert".

Surprised the donkey shelter survived!

Spent most yesterday tidying up!

Workshop now full of model buildings waiting for restoration!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:51 am

That was a storm and a half from what I saw on the BBC news this morning. They showed footage of extensive flooding in the Vendee - has anyone heard from Geoff W at all?

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:42 am

I got an email from them a couple of weeks ago - they were just about to set off for France the next day. So chances are they may have been hit by it.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:28 am

Update : got a reply from Geoff, they are back in Uk for a while so missed all the excitement. Apparently their place got through with just a couple of tiles blown off. Be back mid April.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Glad he is ok and it would be nice to see him on here again soon.

Not a good day for me.....just came back from Monsieur le docteur.

I've got a large hernia that needs surgery. I'm going in for the operation during the school holidays at Easter.

Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Glad he is ok and it would be nice to see him on here again soon.

Agreed, and agree too about him coming back here.

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Not a good day for me.....just came back from Monsieur le docteur.

I've got a large hernia that needs surgery. I'm going in for the operation during the school holidays at Easter.

Evil or Very Mad

ouch, good luck with that mate.

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.   Today at 12:41 pm

Back to top Go down

Meteo, doesn't say yet, but the BBC does. High winds.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: