Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

B and D 14.4v batteries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: B and D 14.4v batteries   Sun May 30, 2010 11:09 am

a good tip if its useful to anybody. I run my LGB locos on Black and Decker 14.4v batteries (mainly because i want them to run slowly). the charger packed up recently so i searched the 'net and found it was possible to recharge them using a 12 v car battery charger. Being a bit nervous about electrics anyway I connected it up and gave it a blast for 5 seconds...no problem, so i left it on for 2 minutes. I literally saw the charge rate drop before my eyes and 2 mins later had a fully charged battery! This was 5 hours ago and the battery is still showing a 12v charge. I am now charging an old 28v B and D battery and monitering the charge. My thinking is that when it shows a charge of 12v thats enough to run the locos. So anybody got any old cordless tool batteries?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: B and D 14.4v batteries   Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

It will be interesting to see how long your batteries live using this charger. I suspect their life will be shortened since they willl not be getting a full charge. BTW, I noticed yesterday at my nearby WalMart a B&D Universal charger - seems it will rapid charge just about any B&D battery 9.6 v and up. It was about $40.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: B and D 14.4v batteries   Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:12 pm

Must admit that was one of my concerns. All I can say is that I had a 35 minute running session today with a charged 14.4v and it hadn't slowed at all at the end. 2 hours on charge and it was ready to roll. Over a period of time, who knows?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B and D 14.4v batteries   Today at 3:36 pm

Back to top Go down

B and D 14.4v batteries
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Tips and advice-
Jump to: