Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Old French Railway Postcards

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Great site Clive! Added to favourites!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 am

Its been nearly a year but heres a couple more postcards/ they show both the activity and the tranquility of a Tramway Departemental;

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:00 am

Anybody identify this 'autobus a vapeur'?. It will be my next project to model:

Heres a couple more. hope you find them as fascinating as I do!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:02 am

Interesting images Mikey.

The autobus à vapeur, they were actually called omnibus à vapeur ....I know that automobile à vapeur exists but not usually autobus or autocar....strange language. study scratch

Anyway I had a look around in books and on the net and I couldn't find an exact match for the picture.

The main builders of these machines seem to be Serpollet, Bollée and Scotte.
However there were other builders notably Purrey (more railway/tramway) and Caboche (more trucks).
Of course it could be a 'foreigner' like Clayton or Sentinel.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:52 am

Thats interesting Carl, the guy i got this one from reckoned it was a Renault,but i have my doubts as I couldn't find any reference
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a De Dion - Bouton steam omnibus, only with a longer coach but the fron is very much the same:

Edit: also notice the significant back wheels that have some sort of cross like reinforcement. These are visible on the back wheels of the omnibus on your picture also.

See also:
1898 Omnibus London article from the illustrated London News

And:
historic print on Amazon
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:07 pm

It could well be...and on Wikipedia for this picture it uses the term 'autobus à vapeur' scratch
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Happy new year to all at CGT!

My Xmas present was a new scanner (thanks Dorothy)..so I have now gone back to postcards collected over the past two years and scanned some of them:

Two pictures of Poitiers station, postmarked 1906 and 1908:

Le Mans Place Thiers, dated 1921 (which is interesting as Le Mans' new system runs in almost the same place):

Limoges Place Denis-Dussoubs, no date (I think this bit was flattened by Allied bombing in WW2):

Limoges Gare, no date:

Etat Schneider steam railcar, no date (anyone with an LGB compartment coach could scratchbuild this)Smile :

May not scan them all as I collect the real cards, but if anyone is interested. I've got

Lcomomotives Francaises series:

Etat 030-912: 120-923: 220-352: 220-521: 220-014: 220-261: 973 (030 from 1869): 141-050: 40-002: 140-907: Z6000 electric:

Alsace pacific (named "Nuthe"): 230 (named "Ehn"): 232T (named "Amanda") 150 (named "Hollandseck")

Czech Pacific 337-002:

Also (all with old trams)

Orleans Place Martroi (Joan of Arc statue) - old trams on route of new system

Brest Tram

Bellegarde-Chezery - Pont sur la Valserine

Metz Gare: Tours Gare (dated 1928), Tours Pont sur La Loire: Les Sables-d'Olonne

These are just the recent acquisitions - I could do requests for other systems:lol:

All the best!

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:38 pm

Are you sure that is a steam railcar Phil?

There were petrol versions but whether they were originally steam I can't remember now.
scratch

The one at Mulhouse is (now) petrol.

As you say it would make a great (live diesel.... Twisted Evil ) model.

Keep the postcards coming. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Interesting postcards again. Thanks Phil!

I like that Schneider railcar! According to this site the Schneider / Somua railcar was build on an old BX1488 railway carriage (as far as my French reading is correct). I believe it is a petrol car indeed (automotrice a essence). I found a picture of a later model on AK Ansichtkarten.de and you can see a grille at the front.

Phil, if you have more pictures / postcards of such beautiful railway oddities I'm surely interested seeing them!

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 pm

It is petrol car, looking at all the other sources you guys have provided (so much expertise on this site:roll: !)

The card describes it as an "automotrice"- I guess if it were steam it would be "automotrice a vapeur". I justwanted it to be steam - would have been even more fun!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:24 pm

I wondered whether it was originally built (or conceived) as a steam railcar and later converted to petrol.

There were many locomotives that started out steam and became diesel locotracteurs and alike later.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm

philkelly wrote:

Limoges Gare, no date:

Great Postcards Phil

Is the new station Benedectins on the same site? as it's built over the lines?

If so, and it's the same Avenue de la Gare, then the hotels on the left are still there...

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:07 am

Brian - I think you're right. The card is a view from the station throat, and on the left is a hotel with a distinctive frieze above the third floor, which is the hotel in your pic, with two extra storeys added. Benedictines is beautiful station, and is well known (!) as the departure point of the Orient Express - at least in the Chanel No. 5 TV ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ngh-9eeMo

Also to note is the clever electric loco that speeds along without catenary, and the Istanbul station which (as I understand it) is on the wrong side of the Bosphorus, but is also very pretty.

(Audrey Tatou is quite good looking as well).

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:09 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I wondered whether it was originally built (or conceived) as a steam railcar and later converted to petrol.

There were many locomotives that started out steam and became diesel locotracteurs and alike later.

I digged a bit deeper on the internet study
As far as I can find it really started in 1922 as the "automoteur à essence Schneider TA1 ZZB2Ef - 2390e". The prototype is the one at the museum Mullhouse as mentioned in your post and was originally a petrol burner.
According to this post on Flickr (nice picture btw) it used a leftover WW1 tank engine. That could very well be an engine from the 1916 CHAR SCHNEIDER CA-1. In this article on www.dieselpunks.de it is mentioned that the eventual production in 1916 of the Schneider tank took place by the SOMUA company, a dependency of Schneider, the same company that would have build the automotrice. So perhaps they had a few engines in stock and used it for the railcar...
However, this is still 'happy guessing". Hope to find a more reliable source on this funny railcar. Any of you have books on French railways that has the car in it?

EDIT: just find some more information of the vehicle on Flickr; click here and it has a nice view of the petrol engine also.
The text looks like to be copied from the musuems guide (I think) and explains the need for a petrol car on a secondary line:

Les automotrices sont représentatives de la volonté des compagnies ferroviaires d'améliorer la rentabilité de leurs lignes secondaires.
Le réseau de l'Etat va faire appel à Schneider et Cie pour transformer la voiture BH 1488 à deux essieux et quatre compartiments. Ajouts d'un moteur à essence SOMUA, qui équipait les tanks de la guerre 14-18, d'une boîte de vitesse et d'une cabine de conduite, pour des résultats très concluants, avec une consommation de 67 litres aux 100km, soit un prix de rivient au kilomètre de 4 francs contre 10 pour les locomotives à vapeur

Railcars are an indication of the efforts made by railway companies to improve the profitability of their branch lines. The Etat network asked Schneider et Cie to modify the BH 1488 two-axle, four-compartment car. Schneider added a SOMUA petrol engine, used to power tanks in the 1914-18 war, a gearbox and a driving cab, which produced very conclusive results, with a fuel consumption of 67 liters per 100km, resulting in a running cost of 4 francs per kilometre compared with 10 for steam locomotives

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:55 am

Paulus wrote:
Railcars are an indication of the efforts made by railway companies to improve the profitability of their branch lines. The Etat network asked Schneider et Cie to modify the BH 1488 two-axle, four-compartment car. Schneider added a SOMUA petrol engine, used to power tanks in the 1914-18 war, a gearbox and a driving cab, which produced very conclusive results, with a fuel consumption of 67 liters per 100km, resulting in a running cost of 4 francs per kilometre compared with 10 for steam locomotives[/i]

Thomas witha tank engine?
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:08 pm

philkelly wrote:
Thomas with a tank engine?
lol!

Did you notice: 67 liters per 100km. My old Ford looks very economical at once...

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Sorry for my earlier confusion, but this one definitely was a steam railcar:

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:49 pm

That sure is a steamer!
What a nice creation! Some sort of post car according to the text on the front.

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   

Back to top Go down

Old French Railway Postcards
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Full size 1:1 trains-
Jump to: