Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Rail Expo 2010

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:03 am

Rail Expo
12/13/14 November 2010
Grand Dome, Villebon-sur-Yvette 91140
south west of Paris.

Rail Expo website

I had a phone call from the organisers over the weekend to ask if I was available to exhibit and have agreed.
So I will be there this year with the portbale layout which I will have to modify a little.

I will need some assistance and I ask here first of course.

I shall need assistance setting up the day before and dismantling after the show closes plus 2 assistants (at least) for all three days running trains, mostly live steam. You can come for 1 or more days and bring as many trains as you can carry!
I will hire a transit van from here which can take 2 passngers if required.

I will add more administrative details when I get them.

It could be a good opportunity for a gathering as we missed out a bit on the open days so far this year.

They also asked my if anyone else has a layout they want to exhibit there as they have hired a large 1000 m2 marquee for extra space. Daniel...Réseau de Momi peut être ???

This is the premier model railway show in France and is well worth the visit.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:57 am

I have to admit it sounds very tempting! Certainly it looks like a great venue and show.

I have no idea about how exactly I am going to obtain the necessary 'exit visa' to attend, but I shall make some tentative enquiries.

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Clive....'domestic-leave-warrant' aside it might not be too difficult logistically for you.

Portsmouth-Caen or Le Havre, one hour to me then it's about 160 km/2 hours from me by road to Villebon just touching the outskirts of Paris.

It is easily possible to go by train travelling via Paris (1h 20 from Bernay) and taking the suburban train RER B/C to Massy Palaiseau (30 mins) where there is a free bus to the event.

There are several of cheap hotels at around 40 euros a night 5-10 mins away.
You will certainly be adequately fed and 'watered' for free.

I am considering 'rebadging' the whole layout with new signage and posters to match that of the Forum.
Can't really have Chemin de Fer de la Guette....that's gone now.... Neutral
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Carl:

Thanks for the advance notice: I will probably be able to come for a day or two - details need to be worked on, but it's about three hours from my house to Paris via Eurostar, so I'll make my own travel arrangements. Since 2008 - my last visit too - I have been practising "oui, m'sieur, c'est de vrai vapeur.."

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Phil...You maybe able to go direct to Massy Palaiseau TGV instead of going into Paris itself.

I think Brian did that in 2008...Is it really that long ago already? Arrow

They did also nvite my to Ferrovi'art at Lilas earlier this year but I had to decline because of 'the operation' to which I am steadily recovering and just able to hump bags of cement and dig holes carefully now. Surprised
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Massy Palaiseau TGV is OK from Poitiers/Angouleme: but I'll probably be coming from UK. I could look at changing at Lille, but I quite like my rides on the RER and a snoop round the Gare du Nord!

I have enough trouble with 35kg bags of cement anyway - don't do yourself another injury!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:21 pm

I thought you were permanent in France now.... Question

Back to top Go down
tram47

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Merci pour l'information ,
Nous n'avons reçu aucune demande de la part des organisateurs .

Thank you for information.
We did not receive any request of the organizers
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Daniel,

Si tu veut interessé avec MOMI je te donnerai le numero de Patrick (Traverses Secondaires/Rail Expo) par PM/e mail. Il vraiment cherche les beaux réseaux pour cette année.

Ce sera me plaire d'avoir des grands réseaux de ce forum ensemble...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:59 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:

I've retired from my company but there is the small matter of 2900 people who re-elected me to Islington council this year - so four more years to serve, and if you've been following what the UK Government is planning on public spending, that does require some attention. affraid Longer and more frequent visits are in order, but not yet a move Crying or Very sad .
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 am

philkelly wrote:
Carl Hibbs wrote:

I've retired from my company but there is the small matter of 2900 people who re-elected me to Islington council this year - so four more years to serve, and if you've been following what the UK Government is planning on public spending, that does require some attention. affraid Longer and more frequent visits are in order, but not yet a move Crying or Very sad .

Just a request from a newbie. Can we not mention politics on this train forum please? I don't wish to feel obligated to put forward opposing opinions about the fiscal antics of the previous UK government affraid

Mike

http://www.mikebrown.me
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 am

We can mention politics in say items of news but provoking any debate is best avoided.

In fact really any debate or discussion that causes an uncomfortable difference of opinion is not really practised here. There are plenty of other places that indulge it that and indeed that has been the downfall of some. silent

Stick to the pleasure of garden railways continental style. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:22 am

Mike B wrote:
philkelly wrote:
Carl Hibbs wrote:

Just a request from a newbie. Can we not mention politics on this train forum please? I don't wish to feel obligated to put forward opposing opinions about the fiscal antics of the previous UK government affraid

Mike

Mike: I'm sorry, I really don't mention politics here: it was just by way of factual explanation to Carl why I can't spend more time with my railway!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:38 am

Hi Carl

You can count me in for as many days as you need me!

Only proviso would be accomodation, or help with accomodation costs?

I can get myself to the venue via TGV as before, it's just a question of logistics after that!

Let me know.

Cheers

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Phil, I'm impressed that you're still going with the council. Nothing to do with politics as such but just a commitment to still working in England and especially London. I chucked in the real work and the rat race over 7 years ago now. cheers

Brian, thanks for the offer and I will sort out the admin when I get written confirmation and the 'dossier' from the organisers. I'm not sure about full accomodation costs paid but some subsidy/reimbursement may well be available as it has been on previous occassions. king
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 pm

philkelly wrote:
Mike B wrote:

Mike

Mike: I'm sorry, I really don't mention politics here: it was just by way of factual explanation to Carl why I can't spend more time with my railway!

No harm, no foul Phil, my politics are now firmly locked away Very Happy

http://www.mikebrown.me
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:29 pm

How about some Spanish representation at Rail Expo? Smile
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:10 pm

mmmmmmmmmmm be nice cos I didn't get to Dortmund this year. I haven't a clue how to get there tho'.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:08 pm

pjti wrote:
mmmmmmmmmmm be nice cos I didn't get to Dortmund this year. I haven't a clue how to get there tho'.

Direct TGV from Irun !

Facile

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:47 pm

I spent the weekend with some of the organisers of RailExpo and this the latest information.
This year looks like it will be last at Villebon as the event has now outgrown this venue.
This year to accomodate extra stands there will be huge external marquee in addition.

They were very pleased with the show of live steam (often 2 locos at once) operating the weekend gone at St Aubin and as a result they are going to put my portable layout in prominant pole position in the entrance foyer.
The layout is the process of being rebadged to 'Continental Garden Trains'. So really it is now a forum layout. It will undergo a bit more modification to make operating easier.

This is a marvellous opportunity to be involved in entertaining the public close hand as everyone of around 10,000 visitors will have to pass the layout. This is the largest show in France and one of the most important in Europe.

They want me to run predominently live steam and even live diesel was mentioned.

I am again keen to invite people to participate and operate who have their own live steam engines. Even if you only have and/or bring just one it will help put on great worthwhile show.

I'm afraid I'm not able to affer hotel or travel accomodation free, but meals, entrance and parking if required will be supplied.
I can of course offer accomdation at my house for anyone wishing stay en-route from the UK and I can take one person with me in the van.

I really don't need help now setting up and dismantling as the hernia seems to be healing and the sciatica is easily lubricated with red wine.

I have a few people outside of the forum who have expressed an interest but I would prefer to keep it in house first.

Over to you.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:04 pm

I really would like to be at this event and help out Carl but cannot due to a couple of surgical procedures planned for this November.

If I can get fit I would love to pop over for one of these shows.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:36 pm

See you Saturday as in my email.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 am

Reading this Carl, I'm even more sorry that I cannot now come!

I would implore anyone who has half a chance of going, to try and get there! Not only is the show itself superb, but you will experience French hospitality and meet new friends.

bon chance

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:33 pm

I was speaking with Mr Grancher (the organiser) on the phone this evening and he assures me that this year - the last at Villebon will be the biggest and best and I think it will be a bit special.

For me it's a priviledge to participate especially being a non-native.

I bought my first Billard railcar from Apocopa at Expométrique at Lilas (the predecessor to RailExpo) over 20 years ago when living in England and whilst on a visit to Paris.

Times have changed but the railcar has not. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:27 pm

I might have time to come the friday, as some meeting on my agenda has been moved the week after. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rail Expo 2010   Today at 2:23 pm

Back to top Go down

Rail Expo 2010
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Events-
Jump to: