Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Chemins de Fer de la Vienne

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
philkelly

PostSubject: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:28 pm

One of the disadvantages of only getting to see my railway at extended intervals is that I can't find the earlier pics....

So here are some views of where I've got to after a long (and still two weeks to go!) summer break.

This is my "gold watch" retirement present - a Pola engine shed which I've modified a bit so that it looks less German, and the coaling station...

It doesn't look too out of place

Visitors to us last year will notice that tree which overhadowed the station has now gone. I have mofified the layout so that each of the lines has a loop at each end: two dog-bones next to each other so that two trains can run without me doing a thing - no need to drive either of them..crossovers allow a single continuous run. I have also flattened out the gradient (a bit). Top loops:

Lower loops:

There are some new passengers (these are to commemorate the time many years ago when I was trying to board a Fench train with a six month old baby on one arm and the baby equipment in a bag on the other and was pushed off the steps by a nun.)

We had a real "orage" at the weekend, and that of course splashed dirt up over all the figures..so the nuns acquired some rather dirty habits...

Of to see Brian tomorrow..

See you all soon..

Phil
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:55 am

It's looking good Phil. Like the shed.

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:34 am

Looking good Phil, Nuns with dirty habits… never!
I like the idea of continuous running, great for sitting back and chatting, testing out the local plonk.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:09 am

My trains have for too long had nowhere to go. That has been resolved with opening of a new halt, Champniers-Erveu.

(It's mostly plastic card with the addition of door and window from Imagimonde.)

The nuns have travelled there because in the background you can see the Abbey of St Champ which was recently discovered (in a vide-grenier on Sunday).

(St Champ, born in Brussels, was the patron saint of agricultural subsidies.)

Champniers-Erveu is an attempt to reproduce a CFD halt. One has to hope that it doesn't end up in the same sorry state as this one.

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:29 am

Nce one Phil, I like the upturned tile as a base!

As for he abbey - these local vide greniers are an absolute treasure trove for modelling stuff!

There's a couple more next weekend near us!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 am

Excellent...ou felicitations . That's just what I need as fledgling station here.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:59 am

How did you do the roof Phil?

Was it the embossed styrene sheets that you showed me from the UK?

Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:49 am

The roof is from one those styrene sheets - I've lost the supplier but I think it came from Back2Bay6. The "tiles" are also too large, but I like the effect. It is very floppy and has to be glued to a base of plastic card to keep its shape. The first go was unsuccessful, so I was on my knees in the garden shouting "you silly toit" Wink
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Very effective Phil, the out of scale tiles look good, sometimes too much attention to detail is lost in the overall view of things. I am no rivet counter.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Brian and Van paid an autumn visit:

After a little regulation and tlc, Brian got steam up:

Brian's train:

A good head of steam:

Steam service was provided at Champniers-Erveu:

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:09 pm

First off huge thanks for your hospitality yesterday, and to Dorothy in particular for providing a hearty lunch.

Here's a few pics from my camera, Phil please edit/add to the captions as you see fit .....

Phil and Van

Phil's Autorail negotiates a crossover

Phil's done a bit of wiring since our last visit !

A desirable red loco

Another desirable red object - Tony a friend of Phil's arrives in his rebuilt MGA

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:46 pm

It's great to view pics of people visiting each other.

Railway looks neat and tidy Phil. Anyone one would think you are running a regular service and good to see the DeDion Bouton.Smile

......And hey that's a stunning piece of car....Wow LHD, red MGA. I had a rusty MGB once but the MGA was the best. What series/engine is it?

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:39 pm

At last, the De Dion runs. I will post more about it later, but it is on a Bachman Railtruck chassis - right wheel arrangement (2-A) but actually too short - you can't tell. Bachman is not up to LGB standards. The drive to the rear axle and the gearbox are very weak. I stripped a gear and snapped a driveshaft - fortunately got spares for both. It threw the drive shaft again in front of the guests - go and stand in the corner! Van found the universal joint from the shaft (c 1.5 cm long) in the grass next to the track or I would have been stuck again. It's working again now. It had a PCB in which doesn't seem to do anything except the LEDS. There is a US website (I will post when I get home) which suggests that all this can go, and it has. It has an eMotion XL chip,and I have had to "tune down" the acceleration curve so that it starts and runs more slowly - it really isn't designed to take the extra weight of the resin body. It now needs an interior.

The MGA? I understand from Tony that he (re-) imported the body as a shell from the US - they don't rust in California - hence LHD. He has completely rebuilt it and it has a 1.8 (ex MGB) engine. The knitting behind the dashboard makes my point wiring look quite simple...if you would like further details, I will get them from him...
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:10 am

[quote="GWhizz"]First off huge thanks for your hospitality yesterday, and to Dorothy in particular for providing a hearty lunch.

I`ll second Brian
Many thanks to Dorothy and Phil
a very enjoyable day

LEVEL TRACK HERE NO NEED FOR R/C bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncecheers
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Civil engineering this summer - the long delayed extension is under way:

I set out the track where I want it to go (note: the loop is actually on ground about 30-40 cm higher than most of it, as we will see):

To keep most of it level, it's on breezeblocks (parpaings) (0.97 Euros each at Bricomarche -and some funny looks). The track level is set because it has to come off the existing end of the railway, so just check the vertical and horizontal alignments:

Getting this bit done was quite easy, so I put some track down to cheer me up:

Because I knew what was coming next: digging out the slope behind the pool for the loop. I did toy with digging the whole loop flat, including the bit in the middle, but I rather like the idea of a cutting: I have put the track down to test it, and then dug it very wide to allow for swept paths, plus a cutting lining, plus a bit more for luck.

For the ground level, and the track base in the cutting I have reverted to my favourite (not) method of hardcore (most of it unearthed when digging the cutting, plus we have an unlimited supply anyway), seen here waiting for the first concrete pour. (I have so much concrete in my railway now that I'm thinking of re-naming it the Reseau Beton...)

(chapeau, manteau, sortie Rolling Eyes )

Should be done by Saturday scratch

For the
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:38 am

Civil engineering at its best.

Quote :
(I have so much concrete in my railway now that I'm thinking of re-naming it the Reseau Beton...)
Laughing

Even the French would laugh at that!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:42 am

philkelly wrote:
I'm thinking of re-naming it the Reseau Beton
Ho Ho !

That's quite a feat of civil engineering Phil, in this heat
How on earth did you get permission from Dorothy to build so close to HER swimming pool?

Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:32 pm

GWhizz wrote:

That's quite a feat of civil engineering Phil, in this heat
How on earth did you get permission from Dorothy to build so close to HER swimming pool?

Well the heat has slowed progress a little - like a sauna today - frequent breaks, resist temptation for booze (that G&T at the end of the day is sooo much nicer)...This siting did take a little negotiating - but in essence, as this view along the extension shows, the fact that the garden slopes but the pool doesn't means that there is a very sharp slope from the end of the pool to our boundary. This what civil engineers refer to as "made ground" - any old crap just to overcome the level change. This is where the loop is. The pool is basically a upside down underground concrete bunker, and nothing I could dig would disturb it all. Wink

In addition, we had an elm tree. For some reason, it died last year. (Probably better to ask how it survived so long after every other elm tree died 20 years ago, and how it managed five years even after the pool was dug.) But dead it is...so no reason not to dig near its roots. Sad

The heat beat me before I finished but I did start the cutting wall:

But these points also still need powering - so (like all railway projects) I am behind schedule Shocked .

Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 pm

I have finished the extension, and trains are running Very Happy . The Billard has lots of clearance:

and looking from the house, trains really disappear into the landscape before popping up again:

I'll try to post video of this.

(BTW, Thanks to Van and Susan for a splendid day yesterday. Unfortunately, my camera battery was flat so I took pics on my phone - and it needs a gizmo to conect to the PC which I don't have here, so will post when I get back to UK.)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Looks really good Phil...starting to resemble part of Ardeche minaitures.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 pm

That looks very good indeed! Nice to see the trains go so low into the ground (the spot actually screams for a bridge over the track!).
I was wondering though if rainwater could form a problem. Is there some sort of drainage to let the water flow away?

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Ok, a bridge..depends on the decision on what sort of planting will go in the middle, but I'm going to work on that...could be an excuse for a cottage amid the "woods" - or whatever Dorothy manages to grow on the middle bit..

Drainage should not be problem The cutting walls are rocks cemented togther, but there are lots of places where there are gaps between them and the track base. If recent weather is anything to go by, we are due an "orage" soon...
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Some great progress there Phil, that cutting is really looking the part. A bit of greenery creeping in there will soften up the sharpness of the rocks nicely. Good work!

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:50 pm

I hope that this is a post of videos of trains running on my new extension. Apologies for the presence on some shots of the laundry basket and a white metal object which is not what it seems - I use it to mix PVA and water for my ballast Wink

And some stills:

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:39 pm

They are indeed...and a jolly nice set too, trains appearing and disappearing with that long snaking out and back run
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chemins de Fer de la Vienne   Today at 2:20 pm

Back to top Go down

Chemins de Fer de la Vienne
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Garden railways-
Jump to: