Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Getting fed up of being a wanabee

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:30 pm

A great start, Van.

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I think that is a good way to go with garden railways, build a simple loop, get trains running and go on from there. Very Happy

I agree. My garden railway consists of
1. A loop of track on my patio
2. A picture in my head of a future track plan
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:13 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
A great start, Van.

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I think that is a good way to go with garden railways, build a simple loop, get trains running and go on from there. Very Happy

I agree. My garden railway consists of
1. A loop of track on my patio
2. A picture in my head of a future track plan

Thanks Bill.
With a loop down I can now run a train when the fancy takes me.Although plans change,I`ve already installed 4 sets of points in the loop.2 sets to kick off into the trees at the top of the picture and 2 sets to run off into the loop to make a inverted figure of 8 with passing loops.
Of the 3 sets of points shown here,the first two will be for the elevated loop into the trees and the 3rd is one of the 2 sets for the inner figure of 8 loop

LEVEL TRACK HERE NO NEED FOR R/C bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncecheers
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:09 pm

[quote="GWhizz"]Delightfully Caro and I were invited to the official opening of Van's "wannabee" railway today.

I was then taken on a tour of the property including the real SNCF line at the back of the garden, which appears to be exactly 418.2 Km from the end of the line - Toulouse we guessed after realising it was looking south and not North towards Paris...

I don`t think the sign means what you are saying Brian,because this line terminates at Limoges station.It could mean that Le Dorat station is 418.2 metres down the line,which to my thinking is about right and the K has some other meaning?

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 am

fm12 wrote:
I don`t think the sign means what you are saying Brian,because this line terminates at Limoges station.It could mean that Le Dorat station is 418.2 metres down the line,which to my thinking is about right and the K has some other meaning?

I'm sure you're right Van, but it was a romantic notion that the line ran to the Med or somewhere, however Limoges station is an excellent destination ...

I'm glad to see that the "Chemin de Fer du Dorat" has been officially adopted, but it's rubbing salt into old wounds to keep mentionong how level your track is Mad Mad

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 am

Van, what are the dimensions of your loop ?

Patrick
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Van:
Could be 418 km from Paris (which is, according to Google Maps the aproximate driving distance from Haute Vienne to Paris)?

Did you provide for drainage through your wall? If not, you need to think about it or you will have a nice mud wallow.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:11 pm

pjti wrote:
Van, what are the dimensions of your loop ?

Hi Patrick.
Ran a tape round the track today,the track is 35.2 metres long.Its level by the way,it saves all that radio control malarky.

Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:25 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
Van:
Did you provide for drainage through your wall? If not, you need to think about it or you will have a nice mud wallow.

Hi Bill.
Theres alot of brick and stone rubble in the spoil,and on the lower level of blocks except for the corners,I`ve left the vertical joints between the blocks dry,ie no mortar,to help drainage.Theres more spoil to go in yet,this will be in the springtime when we dig out foundations for a small workshop I`m building.Hopefully even though in the Haute Vienne we have the 4th highest rainfall in France drainage should not be a problem.The only downside to all of this is,I will probably have to wait 18 to 20 months for the infill to settle before laying track.

Van

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:00 am

LEVEL TRACK HERE NO NEED FOR R/C

But how are you going to operate your steam whistles, and carry out shunting operations with your live steamers ?????????????

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:34 pm

A further chapter in the history of Chemin de fer Climardie was enacted today with a visit by Phil and myself to see Van's ever increasing stock of locomotives in action.

Phil arrives clutching a box of loco's and sporting a new if slightly undersized railwaymans cap!

Phil is shown around the extensive grounds of "chez Calvert" and we ask why aren't you going for 7"gauge ride on steam?

Phil and Van test the Lil' Critter I've brought back after repair.

Phil's Corpet pulling some very nice Aristocraft (I think) coaches

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:45 pm

The three participants - Phil, Brian, Van (we sttood Phil in a hollow to try and get our heads on the same level.

And here in normal proportions....

I was a bit busy during the live steam session but I think Phil has some pic's he'll post later.

Van shows us his delicate 'truckers' hands and explains that "he is fine with mechanical but won't touch electrics"

Further explanations over tea

Thinking Sue out of sight and earshot, Van reveals yet another secret purchase from Ebay.

I'm sure Phil will post more and better pictures - as ever a huge thanks to Sue and Van for their hospitality - a most enjoyable day with friends!

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:32 am

Look forward to seeing some more pictures.

The 'grounds' look very pleasant.

Out of interest how far are you three apart in travelling distant and indeed Mikey too?
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:32 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Out of interest how far are you three apart in travelling distant and indeed Mikey too?

Takes me just over an hour to Van's or Brian's, which I think makes us about 40 miles apart as the crow flies - which on French country roads, it doesn't.

Anyway, some more pics from yesterday and thanks again to Sue and Van for their hopitality...

The Saurer had a good run (the slight technical problem which caused its retirement from service was remedied at the depot this evening):

Van's electrical supply (analogue only) is simple and robust:

This was an attempt to show what a challenge faces Van in providing a network which will serve his vast domain - it is also a Piko railbus running with the SNCF line in the background - a 1:1 garden railway.

Rain didn't stop play (not for steam, anyway):

Van's steamer misbehaved at first - the flame seemed reluctant to move from smokebox to burner, so Brian threatened it with a blow torch and it gave in:

And so we had steam in the sun...and lots of fun

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:16 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:

As Phil says we three are in a triangle about 1 hours 10 mins drive apart in the Vienne, Haute Vienne and Charente, Mikey is an even further 1 hour south of me in the Dordogne, which makes it quite a haul for him to get to Van's or Phil's, but he and any other forum members are always welcome to join us!

From now on throughout the summer, I operate my railway every Thursday and all are welcome, even at short notice, so just pm me if you want to pay a visit.

Unlike the UK travelling distances and time are much greater particularly on our country roads, but the scenery is rewarding, the roads relatively empty, and you're guaranteed a warm reception from friends when you arrive Laughing

Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:15 am

It looks like you all had a good time sunny
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:32 pm

More people than trains but it looks like a fun time!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:49 pm

GWhizz wrote:

Phil's Corpet pulling some very nice Aristocraft (I think) coaches
They say there's a prototype for everything, but this is the exception. Rolling Eyes However, since it involves a Corpet-Louvet, I can overlook it.

Looks like a grand time was had by all.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 am

More pics ....

Phil and Autorail

A 1:1 scale TER rushes by behind the trees

The display panel on Van's Maplin controller

Phil's Ex now Van's Piko Railbus

No Comment

Aristocraft (I think)

'lil Critter

Van's collection of rolling stock is now falling into two main areas ....
Analogue electric 1:29 scale and Live steam 1:18

Now I know that he has an electric 1:22.5 Green Corpet secreted somewhere, this clearly doesn't fit with the other rolling stock and I think he really should pass it on to a fellow forum member who lives just to the south of him Very Happy

Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Wed May 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Apologies to Van and Brian - I took some video of our get-together and it isn't on the camera memory card any more - I think I must have tried to cram too much on the card and it lost the big files....I will be better prepared next time.
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:47 pm

At last after retiring last christmas,I`ve been able to start playing civil engineer on the railway.The last six months other than odd days has been terrible weather wise,the garden in parts being water logged up to last week.I`m now branching out to go round the trees to join up with the existing steam up area.After the two block pillars which are built on brick subsoil,I`m into land fill and in the five years we have owned the house it is still sinking.So that I can progress with track laying I`ve decided to build off 100mm square posts mounted in steel feet.The thinking behind this being,that any movement of the ground can be compensated by jacking up the posts and retighten the steel feet clamps.

Last edited by fm12 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:01 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : trying to upload pics to no avail)
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:55 am

Why not let the track subside a bit?  It'll make the railway far more interesting!  Rather than being dead level!

With practice you might learn how to set your steam regulators so that they can cope with undulating track:lol:

Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks to Brian,some pics from my post above

Checking levels before cutting the post

Last edited by fm12 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Three boards in place,the 1st and 3rd are fixed,the 2nd one is a lift out section for access.The 3rd board has been treated with sump oil,the rest to follow

Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Lookin down the new extension away from the original loop                                                                                                             

Showing the lift out section,all boards are screwed and braced

Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Whilst I had the camera out and walking back to the house,a chick was on what appeared to be its maiden flight.It clung to my finger for the best part of 20 minutes before it flew off.

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:20 am

Yes, I remember the sump oil board treatment from your last get together:evil: 

But what else would you expect from an ex "Trucker" Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Today at 4:31 pm

Back to top Go down

Getting fed up of being a wanabee
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: