Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Wreaths Across America

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Wreaths Across America   Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:30 am

Completely off topic, but I wanted to share this with you. I participated in an event today, known as Wreaths Across America. Basically, donations are collected to purchase Christmas Wreaths for the graves of veterans at various American military cemeteries through the world. Then, shortly before Christmas, volunteers gather at the cemeteries and, after a brief ceremony honoring the veterans, place wreaths on the graves. This year some 23,000 wreaths were placed in the Houston National Cemetery. I was proud to honor those brave men and women. I was able to honor veterans from the Spanish-American War, Both World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam. As you can see, the weather was nearly perfect.
Image hosted by servimg.com

It is my understanding that wreaths were also placed at cemeteries in Normandy, Aisne-Marne, Epinal, Lorraine, Meuse-Argonne, Oise-Aisne, Somme, St Mihiel, Flanders, Luxembourg, the Ardenne, Brookwood, Cambridge, and the Netherlands.

This was my first time to do this - but it won't be my last.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wreaths Across America   Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:53 pm

I am not aware of this practice here but I will find out more. The Commonwealth war graves commission would probably be involved.
From the picture it looks very moving. It would be pretty incredible if they did this at Tyne Cot (Passchendaele) cemetery.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Wreaths Across America   Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:55 am

KleineDicke wrote:
It is my understanding that wreaths were also placed at cemeteries in Normandy, Aisne-Marne, Epinal, Lorraine, Meuse-Argonne, Oise-Aisne, Somme, St Mihiel, Flanders, Luxembourg, the Ardenne, Brookwood, Cambridge, and the Netherlands.

Perhaps I should clarify. The Wreaths Across America organization arranges for wreaths to be placed on the graves of fallen American servicemen in the above mentioned U.S. military cemeteries in Europe. I suspect it is done only by specific request since they obviously don't have the numbers of volunteers in Europe as they do here.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wreaths Across America   Today at 8:24 pm

Back to top Go down

Wreaths Across America
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: