Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:15 pm

I have a problem with the Stainz "sandpaper sound". When the batteries are fully charged the sound unit works, but after about 30 minutes of running it goes from a chuff to a high pitch sqeak. Especially if I stop the running & start up again.
Any one have any ideas on the problem?

Andrew at the Sandbar & Mudcrab
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:17 pm

I an a newcomer to this conversation but I also use Hobbyking R/C gear with two of my transmitters converted to 'Mode 3' (one is for my Accucraft "Ruby").
I must confess that I live near Andrew (across the road actually) an it was he who converted me from HO to G scale, well that and failing eysight.
I have a Stainz running on 10.8V (9XAA NiMh's) and I can get 2 hrs + out of them, they have a rating of 3000mAHr.
All the batteries and R/C gear are "shoehorned" into a tender that is a Bachmann big hauler one "cut and shunted" to reduce its size.
I have batteries and R/C gear squeezed into all my locos (an LGB side rod diesel and a 2076 tank engine) and all run on 10.8V, I only operate them on 1/2 throttle to try and get the speed looking a bit realistic.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Didn't notice that there were replies after my last post...

Andrew, sorry. I have no idea what would be the solution for it. Hopefully you'll find it. I always turn off the sound of the Stainz because I get enough of it after a few minutes of running...

GAP welcome! I used a freightcar to store the batteries and RC gear so I can use it also behind a diesel if that will be the case once. But I'm very interested to see how your shortened Bachman tender looks. Any pictures of it (and from the Stainz off course)?

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 am

This is a picture of my Stainz with tender all the R/C gear and batteries is in the tender with a plug/socket taking the power cable directly onto the motor terminals
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Nice!
I like the little tanker behind it also. Homemade?

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Looks like it might be a modified a Hartland Mini Series tanker:
http://www.h-l-w.com/Products/mini_series.html

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:02 am

The tanker is scratchbuilt from a 50mm PVC plumbing joiner and 2X50mm end caps on an aluminium angle and plastic moulding chassis.
The dome is a plastic bottle cap held on with a screw.
To hide the joins I drilled holes about 10mm apart and inserted plastic rivets I got off EBay from a bloke in Sri Lanka who goes by the name of Pasidump (he also sells wooden flat cars)
The springs and axle boxes are made of styrene with LGB plastic spoked wheels (2nd hand)
To get the curve in the springs I cut strips of styrene to the width of each leaf and then wrapped it width wise around a small baked bean tin and secured it with a rubber band.
To get the styrene to mould to the shape of the tin I filled it with boiling water and let it cool, I did this 3-4 times till the styrene didn't spring back when the tension of the band was released I then layers the strips to make the leaf spring and cut them to width with a razor saw (like slicing salami).
The V shape is made from stryrene glued to the aluminium angle and the springs and axle bearings glued to cover the holes where the axles run. I got the design of the springs from Greg Hunter when I visited him.
The non slip tread is plastic flashing (another Greg idea).

I am building a series of mine hoppers/skips using the PVC joiners and end caps method they are based loosely on an article I saw in the "Garden Whistle" which is a magazine from NZ.
Mine will house all the Hobbyking R/c bits and the batteries spread over 4 or 5 skips (I got this idea from an article in Garden Rail where a bloke put all his R/C gear in binnie skips.
They hauled by my old MDC "Big Hustler", photos when it is finished (but please don't hold your breath waiting for it to be finished).

[img][/img]

[img]%5Burl=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=8&u=17292000][/url][/img]

[img][/img]

[img]%5Burl=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=12&u=17292000][/url][/img]
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Excellent... Laughing

It's great see to other ideas put to use successfully.

Wouldn't mind seeing more pics of your railway too.
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 am

Some pictures of my railway.
I call it the 'Lizard & Bottlebrush' (L&B) after the trees and wildlife that are around it.
I have quite a community of small to medium size skinks and blue tongue lizards (a type of large skink with a distinctive blue tongue that is native to Australia) occupying all the nooks and crannies around the track.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 am

Beatiful garden railway and very interesting rolling stock.
Some great looking bridges!!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 am

The layout looks great and I can see there are some interesting gradients. Do you have a track plan and how big is the garden?

Not so sure about the lizards though and maybe you have other Australian 'wildlife'.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm fascinated by the "wire cage" wagons, I'm sure there's a story behind those?

And a great garden by the way Smile

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Its alright because we haven't seen any snakes as yet & I live across the road!
How ever bats/flying foxes ate my tomatoes through the night.
Andrew
Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 am

The
suspension bridge is made from marine plywood with recycled plastic bread crate
sides, the lift out bridge( the grey one) is made from an old bunk bed side
rail with an old dogs bed sides welded to it (Thanks Andrew) and bread crate
lattice (the piers are Hebel), The trestle is made from hardwood garden/tomato
stakes.
The cane bins are made from 3.5" floppy disc mesh holders from a $2 store
mounted onto wooden flat cars, which are a kit from Pasidump in Sri Lanka via
EBay, the "pipe" frame is actually chicken kebab skewers but bamboo
skewers would do the same job.
I copied the prototype bins from memory of my youth when I worked on a cane
farm; the bins transported the cane to the sugar mill which was the major
industry of the town, side rod diesels and small steamers (depending on
vintage) pulling cane bins down the main street was commonplace in Aust sugar
towns.

In
fact one town had the Queensland Rail (3'6" gauge)main line running down
the main street.

The log car is scratch built with the logs from a dead tree in the garden.
The edging is terracotta roof tile with the back fill being crushed roof tile
the rail is laid on old house bricks with modified tent pegs spaced about
500-800mm apart through holes in the sleepers holding it down.

Andrew
how many times have you been told to "keep your pets under control"

We
were looking forward to a feed of tomatoes

Some
pictures of the cane bins
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Great use of every day materials to make some nice rolling stock. Love it.
How are those Pasidump models? How do they run?

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 am

The Pasidump wagons come as a flat pack and run quite well straight out of the pack.
I but have found that they are a bit light if run like that and can derail easily on rough track, so I glue 5/16" flat washers to the back of the plastic wheels supplied to give extra low down weight and a lower centre of gravity.
I have fitted Bachmann steel wheels but they require packing on the axle boxes to fit their axle length.

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:40 am

The assembly instructions for a Pasidump wagon.
At approx $16 US they are quite an economical way to get a base for scratch building.
This a picture I found on another site that I plan to copy the idea of

[img][/img]

I have an instruction sheet for Pasidump but I don't know how to post it, the picture server doesn' seem to want to play the game with it.
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:10 am

This is my R/C loco similar in size to a Stainz.

There are 6 batteries in the boiler and 3 in the water side tank.

The Hobbyking ESC is in the coal bunker with the receiver in the boiler backhead.

There was no room for a servo controlled direction switch like my other locos so the direction is controlled by a manual switch under the water tank.

Under the coal bunker is a ON/Charge switch I usually have a centre Off switch but this time I opted to switch the charge socket in instead of Off.

Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:09 am

Hello GAP!
I discover your post just to-day. Very interesting!  For garden trains you have very good suppliers in Australia and they make very interseting dedicated equipments for battery R/C. I am in relation with Tony Walsham (RCS). It seems that his R/C boards are very convenient and performant. I am also interested in Mylocoound sound boards. The only trouble is that the G model is a bit large for a Stainz. I do not know if the HO model would be powerful enough for a Stainz.
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:04 pm

For a Stainz the Myloco sound will fit mounted vertically up against the rear cabin wall.
Just have to remove the tools etc and mount a small speaker under the cab roof (if it is painted black it is barely noticeable.
Personally I would remove the screw terminals and solder directly to the board but then again I am an electronics technician and it would be simple for me.
To hide the card I would build a small box from styrene to cover it, it really is not that deep that it would intrude into the cab that much.

I have 2 Stainz waiting for Battery, R/C and sound but I am kitbashing them both into tank locos so I can hide some batteries in the tanks.  
I have found that 10.8V (9 x 1.2V NiMH cells) is plenty to give a realistic speed for a Stainz.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:25 am

What you say about the voltage is interesting! I am building a freelance Mallet from two Stainz mechanisms. I planned to put a 5S Lipo battery with a nominal voltage of 18V. Maybe I can just start on a 4S basis. I have already used a 4S battery with a double engine from Playmobil (1st version). It worked quite well.
May I ask a question based on your experience with Stainz? When you feed them on 10.8V, does this affect just the speed or does it reduces the pulling power too? I think that most of the time, the speed of vintage railway models are too high and keep them to a realistic value is a very good thing, but I would not like to reduce the pulling power.
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:52 am

My Stainz with 10.8V mine generallyruns for over 2 hours pulling a 6 car train on a full charge.
I do have some steep grades, I generally start running the loco at about 1/2 throttle increasing to 3/4 as the battery starts to die. This suits me because when a Stainz runs out of puff I have another to take its place

I am using a 4S Li-ion battery (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15521__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S1P_14_8v_20C_Hardcase_Pack.html) in a Bachmann 3 truck Shay (with 3 motors) with a robotics ESC(https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/syren10) this gives me full Forward and Reverse and I use a cheap Hobbyking transmitter/ receiver combo for control.
This is more than enough to run it for over 2 hours with a train of 6 log cars behind it.  This setup will be coupled with a Mylocosound card.

I also have a Bachmann Consolidation awaiting battery conversion which will get exactly the same installation.

In future battery selections I am opting for LiFePo technology as It is safer but after saying that because I discharge my batteries at a slow rate and charge them at about at 1/10C I feel that there is not a lot of risk involved.

I did consider feelancing a Garret type loco out of 2 Stainz mechanisms and using that Newquida loco as the body work but at the moment the Newquida loco has become a bit of a project (I did get it for free).
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:53 am

I also used the syren10 from dimension engineering. Very easy setup and plug&play device. I did not programed advanced functions though I bought the USB connector for that. Did you.
I also bought for an other project a Pololu board having roughly the same functions. A little smaller but not quite as easy to use though the programing can be done through an integrated miniUSB plug without additionnal equipment.
For other on/off devices (lights, etc.), I first used a small servo with a contactor, until I found R/C switches. I tried the Pololu but programing them is a nightmare: after several trials, I have succeeded reprograming them. Therfore I recently decided to replace them with R/C switches provided by one of your co-citizen, Tony Walsham from RCS. I have not received them yet.
I agree that from two Stainz, a Garret type loco would be easier and more realistic than a Mallet, because fro the later, the distance between axles is too big. But I chose Mallet since in France there were quite a few and I never heard of Garret type locos on our tracks.
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:57 am

My Syren10 has not been programmed at all I use it straight out of the box. 
I bought it because it had the current capability to handle the 3 motors in my 1:20.3 Bachmann Shay.
I plan to use another in a 1:20.3 Bachmann Consolidation.
I like the simplicity of the Syren plus it far more affordable that other proprietary R/C equipment for G Scale. 
I had a quote for R/C gear for the Shay from one supplier and it was going to cost nearly as much as the loco almost doubling the price.
I use Dimension engineering R/C switches to control my lights.  https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/doubleswitch

For my other R/C locos which have Hobbyking ESCs I just connect the lights across the motor terminals.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:46 am

I also liked the Syren10 simplicity.
For the price, it depends whether you start from scratch or not. Some proprietary solutions such as the Railboss 4 or the RCS system are not more expensive that a complete R/C solution plus ESC and RC switches. Of course if you already have a complete R/C system the incremental price is higher because you cannot reuse it except if it is a Spektrum DM2.
I also do not like the press-button Railboss transmitters. To me the best today is your compatriot's RSC system, which is compact, well designed and not ridiculously expensive as some others.
I do regret having chosen Hitec and not Spektrum (about equivalent as far as price and performance are concerned) which would be compatible with the Omega 3. As I have two live diesel projects going on, I must keep a traditionnal transmitter/receiver for those.An other problem: the DM2 protocol has been abandonned by Spektrum for the so-called European "Union". It is somewhat anoying moving to an has-been solution and relying only on second hand equipment.
For my Mallet, I am not decided yet.
Back to top Go down
GAP

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:30 am

This is R/C the system I use http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/2point4GHz.htm

It is simple, generic, cheap and suits my purpose very well. 
After talking to the R/C model guys at work they agree that for a simple system it is probably the best value for money.

I never did like tying myself to a specific format of transmitter (eg DM2) where you have limited options.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?    Today at 5:01 am

Back to top Go down

RC/battery for LGB Stainz. Some advice anyone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Model locomotives and rolling stock-
Jump to: