Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Favourite French Cheese

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Favourite French Cheese   Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:34 pm

OK, it's nothing much to do with trains but what is your favourite or worst for that matter French cheese.

I was in Intermarché looking for the elusive ex-pat Cheddar (not the naff orange variety) and caused a stir by daring to question the French cheese insdustry. I walked away with 1/2 kilo of some surprisingly tasty Cantal which isn't too far away in taste for a good Cheddar.

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Mmmm. Velveeta. Oh, wait a minute; you said French cheese. Do they make anything in a squirt can? :p

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Not French,I'm afraid, but I have a penchant for cave aged Gruyere. Trouble is, having worked in the food industry all my life, I should have realised that the cave has been replaced by a climate controlled warehouse, and the old boy who lovingly wiped and turned the cheeses every day has been retired in favour of a robot. Having said that, the dairy - which is just behind Gruyere metre gauge station - is worth a quick visit.

Our local cheesemaker, Mrs Kirkham, produces an excellent crumbly Lancashire. I was force fed crumbly cheese as a child so it never really appealed, but this stuff is matured properly and tastes like its been cared for.

Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:16 am

KleineDicke wrote:
Mmmm. Velveeta. Oh, wait a minute; you said French cheese. Do they make anything in a squirt can? :p

Fromage pneumatique? jocolor

Me? Not French, but I like Gouda...thee is some 1k day stuff at a local market I am tempted to try....a break from the normal sharp chedders and emmental that I buy.

EDIT, actually, I remember my last trip to buy cheese at Christmas. I asked for about 2-3 until they had in the case one I liked, reminded me of a certain comedy sketch....

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 am

Cant believe you've just discovered Cantal cheese Carl? When we came here 11 years ago we visited the markets where you can always ask for a 'taster' and Cantal was the nearest thing to cheddar. so yes thats our favourite of the hard cheeses. i still like a good brie though (nice and smelly just like you like it Carl!), A decent Brebis (sheep) cheese is very tasty as well
I apologise to Bill and Spule and any othe Americans, but I've visited 38 of the 50 states and have yet to find a home-grown decent cheese! Velveeta and that goddam awful cheese-Whizz (everythings out of a can!) Perhaps it exists in Hawaii (?) never been there!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 am

I had actually originally discovered Cantal many years ago Mikey but had forgotton about how good it can be and 'rediscovered' it in the course of 'lively discussion'.

Where we lived before in stinky Brie we were overwhelmed with soft runny stuff and now we've moved to slightly stinkier Camembert country we have a prevelance of squashy, squeezable cheese.

I prefer the harder sorts and we now have found a decent cheese shop in Bernay that imports farmhouse Cheddar and Stilton from England.

I'm going to do a blind cheese tasting with students to see who can make the difference between Cantal and Cheddar. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 am

I prefer my cheese from the mountains ....

"Gruyere Suisse" ou "Ossau Iraty"

Both available from the cheese counter at LeClerk

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Montblanc

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:23 am

Sorry, difficult for a Frenchman not to intrude in a discussion on french cheese! Just to mention that the best "gruyere" in France is called "Beaufort" and the best Cantal is "Salers"… not easy to find outside their regions, though.

Jean-Pierre
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:34 am

Montblanc wrote:
Sorry, difficult for a Frenchman not to intrude in a discussion on french cheese! Just to mention that the best "gruyere" in France is called "Beaufort" and the best Cantal is "Salers"… not easy to find outside their regions, though.

Jean-Pierre

Cantal Salers is regularly available on the local markets here and in the Dordogne (Piegut) but the only Gruyere i've seen is Swiss rather than French, which came as a surprise!

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Montblanc

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Here's another way to try it:

http://www.beaufortdesmontagnes.com/sica/lire/index.php?rubid=1
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:59 pm

I have to agree that Beaufort is a lovely cheese although a tad expensive up here.

The best 'Emmental' I have had recently is from Savoie rather than from Switzerland itself.
It seems to have bigger holes. Shocked

When many French people talk about 'Gruyere' I find they often loosely mean 'Emmental' or vice versa especially when it's the ready-grated form. scratch

Gruyere (to me) has a taste more like Comté.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Lidl in Spain did a rather excellent cheddar by hatherwoods supposed to be 15 month matured, really good grilled on toast.

Never really been into French cheeses, just the normal brie or camembert from supermarkets and Lidl.

There is a cheese in Spain with a rather distinctive shape called "teta" it is quite nice and apparently I have fallen for a goat cheese which is very hard and smoked, if I'd known it was goat I would not have tried it.

Very much an English cheese fan as long as it is made by cows I doesn't matter what type it is.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:42 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Cant believe you've just discovered Cantal cheese Carl? When we came here 11 years ago we visited the markets where you can always ask for a 'taster' and Cantal was the nearest thing to cheddar. so yes thats our favourite of the hard cheeses. i still like a good brie though (nice and smelly just like you like it Carl!), A decent Brebis (sheep) cheese is very tasty as well
I apologise to Bill and Spule and any othe Americans, but I've visited 38 of the 50 states and have yet to find a home-grown decent cheese! Velveeta and that goddam awful cheese-Whizz (everythings out of a can!) Perhaps it exists in Hawaii (?) never been there!!

mikey

Well, you have to get out more, there are a lot of good cheese makers here. For example, both Ohio and Tennessee both have good cheese makers, here is one near by that has good cheese:

http://www.sweetwatervalley.com/

Many of the Ohio makers and some of the TN ones are of European heritage.

http://www.ohiotimelessadventures.com/gene/SwissCheese.pdf

USA "Swiss" = Emmental BTW

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:44 am

dtsteam wrote:
Not French,I'm afraid, but I have a penchant for cave aged Gruyere. Trouble is, having worked in the food industry all my life, I should have realised that the cave has been replaced by a climate controlled warehouse, and the old boy who lovingly wiped and turned the cheeses every day has been retired in favour of a robot. Having said that, the dairy - which is just behind Gruyere metre gauge station - is worth a quick visit.
Indeed it is - here's the station (from a visit back in 2002):

The dairy is behind the station building to the right of the picture.

Oh, and to bring it vaguely back to topic: I like all the runny, smelly ones, but my particular fave is that 'roule' one (not sure if that's the name of it, or even if it's actually French) but it's very white and creamy, looks like a thin slice cut from a Swiss roll but with garlic and herbs

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:23 pm

mikeyh wrote:

mikey

Mikey:
No apologies necessary, my friend. I am not nominating Velveeta or Cheez Whiz or Fromage Pneumatique (I love that term) , which are all basically the same stuff delivered differently, for "World's Best Cheese". They aren't even legally designated as cheese in the US, but are classified as Pasturized Process American Cheese Food. However, they do have certain redeeming qualities.

Velveeta is hands down the best "cheese" for a cheeseburger; it melts nicely and adds a certain je ne sais quoi flavor. It's also good for grilled cheese sandwiches - the old fashioned kind where one butters the bread on the outward sides and "fries" the sandwich on a griddle. But the number one use for Velveeta has to be for making Queso dip, a party staple for many years. One merely cubes the Velveeta and melts it on the stove or in the microwave oven, stirs in a can of tomatoes with chiles (readily available in US grocery stores under the Rotel brand), serves it with tortilla chips, and voila, a party pleasing cheese dip.

I am also certain there are good home grown cheeses in the US, just as there are now good beers and wines produced here. We even have a thriving lavender industry in Texas now. Our tastes tend to run more towards cheddar, swiss, and provolone, but I have tasted/smelled some pretty authentic chevres made here.

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Bill and Spule it was only a joke!
We never got the chance to try real cheese in America. I was either to busy teaching kids from the reservations their history or working with Usaf! On American bases they used sell tortilla chips with hot nacho cheese. what is that? 'cos its lovely!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Do they really produce cheese in the U.S.A. and honestly is it worth trying?

I am going to New York soon and shall be very keen to savour the 'deli' delights of the U.S.A. including cheese.

The only cheese I ever saw connected with the U.S.A. was ......Laughing

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Mikey- I realize it was a joke- in response to my original joke. I just wanted to take the opportunity to enlighten you on the upsides of Velveeta. cheers

Nacho Cheese is likely made with Valveeta or a similar derivative. It is quite commonly offered for sale at sporting events, where it is usually watered down to increase profits Evil or Very Mad . It is not however to be confused with real nachos, which are made with real cheddar or monterey jack cheese.

Carl- Philadelphia brand creme cheese is also quite popular in the US. It is quite tasty when spread on a bagel instead of butter. Try it when you're in NY Wink . New York (the state, not the city) makes some fine cheeses, http://www.nyfarmcheese.org/ as does nearby Vermont http://www.vtcheese.com/index.htm. Wisconsin is also somewhat famous for dairy products, including cheeses http://www.eatwisconsincheese.com/.

Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Philadelphia have nearly the same taste as the "Vache qui rit".

A box of it ended in our fridge just before Xmas between my "Comte", "Roquefor", "Tome de Savoie" and some more other cheese all made from raw milk and non pasterized.

Had to tried it What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Bearcastle wrote:
Philadelphia have nearly the same taste as the "Vache qui rit".

A box of it ended in our fridge just before Xmas between my "Comte", "Roquefor", "Tome de Savoie" and some more other cheese all made from raw milk and non pasterized.

Had to tried it What a Face

But it's not yellow!

Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Yellow is only related to trains Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for the links Bill.

Out of all this joking about American cheese it really does exist which ignorantly I didn't know until this thread.

I will definitely try some and let you all know. Maybe I could bring some back too. Now that would upset the ladies on the cheese counter at Intermarche.
"Avez vous du fromage amercain svp?"affraid

I wonder how it will compare to a Cheddar or Cantal.

BTW I made a fantastic Cantalaroni cheese out of 1/2 kilo of the stuff yesterday. Even wifey ate it.
It's not as sharp or as salty as Cheddar when cooked.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:33 pm

I think the only reason we don't know about American cheeses is that there probably isn't enough of the good stuff to go round. Supermarkets need a consistent product and a reliable source of supply. In cheese terms that usually translates to an industrial product (Philadelphia) and usually precludes 'diffcult' foods like cheese made from unpasturised milk.

I'm sure that America has its fine cheeses, just like France or England, and I'm equally certain that few of them are produced in sufficient quantities to meet the demands of, say, Wal-Mart.

By the way, nice piccy, Clive - a metre gauge railway and a cheese of the same name - gotta be a winning combination. flower
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:41 pm

My guess is Wal-Mart probably gets cheese from China like almost everything else they sell. affraid

Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:25 pm

True, and no harm taken regarding the joke, but we do have some good cheese.

The best Nacho cheese comes in a LARGE can (and back when I was in school it always had some sort of demeaning to Hispanics cartoon character on the label). It is good...for what it is. You eat it because it is a CHeese Food Product, not because you want cheese.

If you really want something good for nachos, get a good Queso cheese from the Latino markets.

Velvetta on cheeseburgers, try a good bleu cheese, especially on a buffalo burger.

Philly cream cheese is a knock off of some sort of Swiss spread cheese, cannot remember which one.

....and the most American of all cheeses, there is the Cheese Curd, as sold up north.

PostSubject: Re: Favourite French Cheese   Today at 12:13 am

Back to top Go down

Favourite French Cheese
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: