Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hello from Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
twainmanbg

PostSubject: Hello from Bulgaria   Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:03 am

Hi there everyone,
been lurking for a while and thought it was about time I stuck my head above the parapet, my name is Richard and I originally hail from York, lived in France 10 years first on the cote d'azur and after at Divonne Les Bains in the Ain about 25 mins drive from Geneva, later returned to England and for 18 years lived in Rawtenstall, In 2003 we moved out here to Bulgaria in the southeast to live and love it.
I have modelled allsorts starting with Hon3 and going through redbox and then 7/8" scale. Now I am starting a new venture, modelling 15" gauge on gauge 3 track, which gives it a scale of 1/6, a 6'x3' Heywood wagon is 12"x6" real size, I am awaiting 2 masters for the wheels which are being 3D printed for me in the states, as are the Journal boxes with W irons and couplers, rather lucked out as to other enthusiasts though as I can't find any other people who are into garden railways. I may found the "Bulgarian garden railway society" cant be much work as I would be the only member,LOL. If anyone knows different PLEASE let me know.
I hope I havent bored you all too much with my ramble.
All the best,
Richard.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 am

Hello Richard,

Great to have you here and it is indeed unusual to know someone (with garden trains) in Bulgaria - a country that I would like to visit one day.

Why did you move there?

You railway is unusual too. I've not heard of that scale gauge combination. It's almost ride-on...???
Have you any pictures so far?
Back to top Go down
twainmanbg

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:18 am

Hi there Carl,
you are correct in that it appears I am in somewhat of a solitary position here,but on a positive note, no-one to nit pick.
We moved here as we were fed up in the UK of all the PC brigade and the HSE stuff that made life a pain, I think cutting down conker tree's, so that children couldn't fall out of them was the last straw, that and being told I should say happy holiday not merry xmas did it. We love it here, it is a much more tolerant place than you might think. Prices are a lot lower than in the UK, we can buy 6 x 1/2 litre beers for the price of a pint in the UK in our local bar. We have an old place in the countryside with about 27000sq metres on land and we paid 21000 leva=10,750 euro, hopefully building a new house this summer.
I will send photo's as soon as I get the new wheels from the states, 1/6 scale means I can use action man type figures and equipment, but it means everything has to be made just like the prototype.
all the best,
Richard.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:48 am

Welcome Richard/ I look forward to seeing your work and the progress on your line. sounds like and interesting scale to work with!

mikey
Back to top Go down
twainmanbg

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi there Mikey,
read your construction thread on your railway,very impressed,especially with your speed.
having lived in France quite a long time is the name of your tramway the" tramway of honey" that is my interpretation of De-miel, it is a grand name I must say. I am just in the process of
mocking up my second diesel loco, it is loosely based on "Lady Wakefield" from the Ravenglass and Eskdale, it measures 32" long x7" wide and will be about 11" high running on gauge 3 track. I will post photo's when I have got it a bit further along.
all the best,
Richard.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Здравейте и добре дошли Richard!

If Google is correct the above line would say: hello en welcome Richard (if not, I hope I did not wrote anything offending Surprised ).
Would love to see some pictures of your 1:6 scale trains and railroad! Sounds like a very interesting scale!

Paul

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Paul,
Thank you, and yes it is correct, the first word is pronounced Zdraveiti,= greetings the backwards N is E=and then dobre=good and the last word is doshli which I don't recognise, but it is the 4th most difficult language to learn on the planet, or so I am told. it takes 12- 18 months before anything makes any sense, and I have only been here 7 1/2 years.
I am modelling 15" gauge=381mm track, it is often referred to as "Heywood gauge" after Sir Arthur Heywood who promoted it as the smallest practical gauge for a working railway, but in my world I am modelling it as a more modern railway that embraces Heywood's thinking, but also has more modern diesel loco's and wagons and coaches. not a great deal is built yet as I have to make masters for most things and I am having some parts made using 3D printing.
Leka nosht = good night
Richard.
Back to top Go down
twainmanbg

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 am

Hi there everyone,
sorry it has been a while,but we bought a new place in the next village(Zornitsa) as it had a large amount of almost flat land,fantastic soil,and best of all loads of water available from 2 wells and 2 boreholes,the water has been tested and approved as very pure.
My garden layout has of course suffered as a result, but I can soon get stuck into it, on a more positive note I now have 2 x 1/6 scale Heywood wheels and 2x1/6 scale couplers 1 is for DBR-Duffield bank railway and the other is ER or Eaton railway,shortly I will get the pedestal sets for a wagon,so I can make mould's and start casting them. I have also got 50 axle sets of 74 mm (scale 16")diameter wheels in 2 1/2" gauge for more modern stock, and I am going with Captain Howey as it is a nicer proportioned loco 20ft long or 40" long in 1/6 scale.
Have to go now as I am getting the horses out as it is quite warm today.
All the best,
Richard.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Hello again Richard!

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bulgaria   Today at 12:15 am

Back to top Go down

Hello from Bulgaria
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: