Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What colours?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
philkelly

PostSubject: What colours?   Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:12 pm

What are the best commercially available acrylics for red and cream for SNCF railcars? And - if they were different - for those of "secondaires"?

I'm not looking for an exact match - just what looks right.

Thanks to all.

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:09 pm

Not sure about acrylics Phil.

These colours for railcars and rollingstock all have SNCF numbers.

The common red colour was;
Up until the 1950's it was SNCF 602 red, after it was a shade lighter I believe, SNCF 605 vermillion.
The cream is SNCF 407 and some railcars were a light grey on top SNCF 803 gris perle.
There was also a rouge grenat which goes with the grey but I don't the SNCF number.
Some Corsican railcars and locomotives were this colour for while

PLM, Provence and Deux Sevres railcars were blue and cream and Reseau Breton were mostly all red as were some early Corsican vehicles.

Take a look at this site for correct match 'synthetic' paints for French railways.
Railcolour
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks Carl - I take it these are oils? 30 ml doesn't go far on a 1/22.5 railcar. Someone will be selling these at ExpoRail, I hope.. not the only shopping I'll be doing..See you there

Phil
Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:11 am

philkelly wrote:
Thanks Carl - I take it these are oils? 30 ml doesn't go far on a 1/22.5 railcar. Someone will be selling these at ExpoRail, I hope.. not the only shopping I'll be doing..See you there
Phil
Just a suggestion, might 30ml go further if it were being sprayed on, eg with an airbrush?

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:00 pm

30 ml (each of red and cream) will just do a small railcar if sprayed over a good undercoat.

At RailExpo you can talk to Big Max (Apocopa) and see what he actually uses.
Pierre at Imagimonde may able help with colour matching acrylics too.

When you say acrylics I presume you were referring to water based acrylics (Tamya type) and not cellulose type acrylic.

These 'Railcolour' paints are nitrosynthetic and are really meant just for spraying and not brushing.

They evaporate very quickly.

AMF87 will be at RailExpo to buy paint from....So will I of course and I'm near the restuarant. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:31 am

With all respect to Max - I have got the A80D which came prepainted - using acetone based paints - which are diluted and dissolved and brushes cleaned with nail varnish remover; this changes the colours so red goes pink. It flakes when you look at it; masking tape for touch ups removes the paint underneath the tape - the "extra supply" in two small bottles became one red and one cream lump which nothing dissolves. I have repainted it completely using water based acrylics - from the crafts section of my local Intermarche - easy to use but not sure about the colour. I've also used the usual plastic kit enamels - Humbrol and so on - and just find water based acryclics so straightforward..never thought of an air brush but could be convinced...I'll get the round in and the conversation (and the paint?) can flow...

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:58 am

Max's painting and construction leave a lot to be desired.

The problem is he is the only one doing large scale French railcars....at the moment.....mmm.

Although there was a bloke doing them in wood at one time.... scratch
Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:32 pm

We should all be grateful to Max: I've got the De Dion (unpainted) and the Renault RS (prepainted) waiting to be motorised. Unlike Carl, I'm really no scratchbuilder, so finding Apocopa was a godsend - Don't think a garden railway could look really French without Apocopa..Vive Max!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:13 pm

I wouldn't attempt scratchbuilding any Billard with all those curves and angles.

My scratchbuilding goes only as a far as building boxy shapes which fortunately a few railcars and trailers were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi guys, I just wanted to let you know that the current copy of "Continental Modeller" has a very interesting article on scratchbuilding French Railcars

Have a happy rest of your life.

G
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:21 am

Any chance of copying, sending posting or otherwise furnishing me with this article please Geoff.
I have no easy way of getting a copy of CM here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi, send me you La Poste address and I will post the article de Dion OC2 railcar and the one on Piguet Mallet Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks Geoff will do.

BTW have you seen Voie Libre this month.

Stunning 1:50 scale French railcars and branchline modelling.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:16 pm

GeoffW wrote:
Hi, send me you La Poste address and I will post the article de Dion OC2 railcar and the one on Piguet Mallet Very Happy

Excellent, thanks very much Geoff. The article came today.

Some of the best French modelling I've ever seen. This is the same English couple and the same models as featured in Voie Libre. Absolutely stunning and correct to detail. Some good plans too.

I must try and get in touch to compliment them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:16 pm

I like the idea of complementing modellers in other scales and degrees of accuracy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What colours?   Today at 2:22 am

Back to top Go down

What colours?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: