Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Car headlights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: Car headlights   Tue May 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Not directly train related but my daughter has changed the headlights in her car and given me the old ones.
Am I safe to use them to illuminate the garden railway (obviously connected to a car battery or 12V transformer)?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: Car headlights   Tue May 10, 2011 9:47 pm

I used a head light to illuminate the railway. I connected it up to a lighthouse I had made using a 12 volt battery charger to power it.
It made the charger cycle on and off as the duty cycle cut in and out as the power used by the light is very heavy. I concluded the experiment as a failure.

Andrew
Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Car headlights   Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 am

Car headlights should be quite safe Mikey. I presume they are of the sealed beam type.

Just a couple of points though.

The current drain could be quite high and they wont last long even on a fully charged battery.
Typically a 100w bulb will draw about 8 amps but modern halogen types with give more light for less current.
So a pair of headlamps may only last a 3 or 4 hours on say a 60ah battery.

They could also become very hot.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Car headlights   Thu May 12, 2011 2:18 am

It could work, but a car battery charger or other supply ( they will work well on AC also) could be done.

If your railway is French and pre 1990, be sure to use yellow lights tho... bounce

PostSubject: Re: Car headlights   Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 am

Are the headlight units sealed beam or do they have bulbs in Mikey? Either way there will probably be two filaments one a higher wattage than the other typically 35 dipp and 55 main beam (watts). The 100 w ones Carl refers to are actually illegal but I have used them in the pastů shhhhs.

Being 12 v there perfectly safe apart from the ummph affraid that can be given off by a 60 a 12v battery so use an appropriate fuse in the circuit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car headlights   Today at 2:25 am

Back to top Go down

Car headlights
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: