Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

RailExpo 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: RailExpo 2011   Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:19 am

It's that time of year again and planning for the Autumn.

RailExpo 2011
Villebon sur Yvette near Paris
25/26/27 November

Officail website: RailExpo English

RailExpo thread 2010

They have asked me to attend again this year, which I shall do so with pleasure.

As before there is a general invitation to anybody to attend and help run the layout.
I could do with 2 other operators/assistants on each of the 3 days.

Phil and Laurent very kindly helped last year. I could also do with a couple of visiting steam locos this year. Rolling Eyes

I don't think I will need any help in setting up on Thursday 24th especially if I am in the foyer as last time.

Can't help with accomodation or transport costs but meals and refreshments will be provided free during the day and entrance to the exhibition.

There are cheap hotels nearby which range from 40 euros per night.

TGV and RER from Paris at Massy Palaiseau with free bus to site.

Being in the foyer was perfect for running the diesel and there wil be at least one (.....Question ) other machine this year.
And I now know that the pompiers will allow it to run.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Sounds very tempting Carl (specially the free meals Razz )

Seriously. I remembered the posts from last year and it looked good.
So I'd love to help. Although, I have to warn you: I can speak English and Dutch but my French is horrible.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:29 pm

Paulus wrote:
.... I have to warn you: I can speak English and Dutch but my French is horrible.

Me too....

Well I speak double Dutch actually.....Laughing
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:18 am

Just trying to figure whether it is possible/practical to attend via public transport, as I like travelling on boats and trains, or whether driving is a necessity.

I am assuming I can purchase some Nitro on site.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:16 am

It depends on which port you want to use.

I think Portsmouth - Le Havre is easiest for rail transfer. The station at Le Havre is about 15-20 mins walk from the port and they're building a tramway too... cheers

Cherbourg is not too bad although the quayside seems to go on for ever and then it's about the same, a 20 minute walk straight into town.

Caen (Ouistreham) is impossible by train. There is a mystery coach transfer to the port that no one has ever seen and a taxi is a scandal. But I could pick you up by car from there if you come on Wednesday.

On the plus side all three towns have direct trains to Paris (St Lazare) or from Cherbourg (change at) Caen then take a train to Le Mans then TGV direct to Massy.

Nitro will be supplied free to all users.... drunken

Looks like I may have to build a 'diesel' depot then.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Looks like the easiest would be to avoid boats and Eurostar into Paris, as only one change is required from my home town and that is at St. Pancras. Therefore what is the easiest way(s) to get from Gare Du Nord to Massy/Villebon dome if heavily loaded. I am not averse to Taxis for connecting journeys.

Funny this motivational thing. Since your entry about the exhibition I have already been down to the workshop to paint the chassis, though I have not started the body yet.

It did occur that if I did not get the body finished and the chassis ran well I could mackle up a simple transparent box/body to illustrate that the body was WIP and how the inside was constructed.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Please ignore the last post as all the info is on the RailExpo website.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:40 am

Carl, I have decided to travel south to Brive after Villebon, to see my sister, so I have made reservations at the Companile Villejust for the Thurs, Friday and Saturday evenings.

This means I am available for duty from late Thursday afternoon until end of play on Satursday evening. I will then set off for Brive on the Sunday morning.

Hope this is OK.

Incidentally Companile seem to belong to a holding company called Louvres Hotel Management. Spooky ?

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 pm

That's great David,

Thursday afternoon will be setting up. That's my favourite day, all the excitment and pre-show camaraderie and trying to be first to get trains running. I don't really need any help but of course you are welcome.

Thursday night in the hotels are full of alcoholic banter. drunken

I will be either in the Campanile or across the car park in the Premier Classe place.

I am waiting to hear back from TDS.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:18 am

Carl, a few questions just to be sure (I've read over the 2010 topic but I'm still not sure).
Do we have electricity for charging up batteries, track power or perhaps powering tools?
Are there some sort of tables available where we can display some models or even better, where we can work on some projects (for instance a model building, figures or rolling stock)?

I could perhaps bring some sort of camping table, but a 'real one' would be better...

Anyway, I can be there saturday and sunday (still not sure about the friday).
SWMBO and a sister in law find out of my plans to travel near Paris and thought it would be very nice if they travel along and go shopping and sightseeing in the city of light.
Presumably that will influence the hotel location as well for me... and it will strongly influence my luggage capacity... Neutral

Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 am

Paulus wrote:
Carl, a few questions just to be sure (I've read over the 2010 topic but I'm still not sure).
Do we have electricity for charging up batteries, track power or perhaps powering tools?
Yes no problem at all. No need to bring anything except your specific chargers. Dutch plugs should be the same (Euro type C) except for the earth which in France is a separate pin (Type E) Your plugs like Germany I believe have the earth side contacts, but the plug iteslf still fits.

Quote :

Are there some sort of tables available where we can display some models or even better, where we can work on some projects (for instance a model building, figures or rolling stock)?

I could perhaps bring some sort of camping table, but a 'real one' would be better...

A table will be ok. No need to bring one but space to work maybe at a premium. The layout is slightly wider now by 30 cms but it may still be a squeeze.
I haven't yet had any further confirmation or information back from the organisers as to where I will be located (I hope in the foyer again). When I know that I might be able to find a little 'niche' for you... Smile
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Quote :
When I know that I might be able to find a little 'niche' for you...

Thanks! Just a little place is already much appreciated! pirat

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Carl,

a bit premature as I haven't got the live diesel running yet or built the body or even been able to get to the workshop until today but what couplings are you standardised on for Expo. I could either make up a compo wagon or we could use a paperclip.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:53 pm

I run mostly 3 link couplings/universal chain.

Otherwise I have a slight preference for chopper types as Accucraft but I wouldn't worry too much as a supply of paper clips solves all. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Having spoke to the president last Saturday we shall indeed be located in the foyer entrance area again which suits me.

For Paul: It is going to be pretty impossible to have a separate table in its own area I'm afraid as that constitutes another stand and there is no place.

But, the portable layout is now 30 cms wider than before so the interior width will be 1.3 metres. You can have a small table inside but there will be a lot of activity and practically it won't be the ideal place for quiet modelling.

There are 2 people coming to help so far, Paul and David. If anyone else comes and brings a live steam or or diesel locomotive they can have free entry to the expo with meals and drinks paid for.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:10 pm

No problem Carl!
Actually it saves me some space in the car if I leave the tools and materials at home now my wife and daughter come along to visit Paris... Wink

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
If anyone else comes and brings a live steam or or diesel locomotive they can have free entry to the expo with meals and drinks paid for.

That's such a tempting deal. I'm desperately trying to organise house. dog and horse sitting for that weekend to join you guys! That's assuming a much bashed and modified r/c Edrig is acceptable?

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Of course it is ....as long as it works. Smile

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I wish I could come on friday, but for the moment I need to have my friday off.
We have a lot to do at work in november. I will know only few days before.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
antonr91

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 am

Well ive got my timetable sorted out and it looks like i should be able to make it to the expo this year. Tickets on eurostart are 35 when you book 2 or more people, as mum and dad wanted to come along, so that they could go out in Paris while im at the expo.

Just to clarify, is there going to be a 32mm layout as well, as the 45?

And how many diesels plan to take a trip there Very Happy?
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 am

There won't be a 32mm layout but time providing and space in the car, I will make a short section of 32mm track about 7 metres long.

At least 3 diesels so far. And yours....? I would check with Eurostar but you should be okay. I will give you a letter if you need and you can show them the website details etc.

I have taken RC live steam on Eurostar before.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Anton, I emailed Eurostar a couple of weeks ago and explained I wanted to have a live diesel loco in my luggage. They said no problem, just get there early. I would have thought they might be concerned about a transmitter but were happy that batteries would be
elsewhere !!!!

Carl, if I ever get my diesel to work then I can regauge the wheels to 45 mm so dont 32mm for me.

Major issues with the acceleration and subsequent torque at start up using such a large and heavy dc/generator, exacerbated by both being off the centre line due to space issues with 32mm loading gauge. Also I am having to drill out both shafts so that I can pin the gears as the torque and acceleration have undone the gear fixing even using grub screw allied with Loctite retainer. Any way still hopeful of getting it to work.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I am hoping to do a short 'tramway' type line to hang off the front with a shuttle going back and forward.

But as with many things I'm running a bit short of time now. Neutral
Back to top Go down
antonr91

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 am

Okay cool, so it seems that they do not mind people bringing machinery onto there trains. Very Happy

Hopefully i will be booking these tickets in the next day or two. If the 32mm track is going to be very small, then i might as well just adjust my wheels to 45mm, although it would have been nice to let people see a 32mm diesel as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:57 pm

antonr91 wrote:
Okay cool, so it seems that they do not mind people bringing machinery onto their trains. Very Happy

Hopefully I will be booking these tickets in the next day or two. If the 32mm track is going to be very small, then I might as well just adjust my wheels to 45mm, although it would have been nice to let people see a 32mm diesel as well.

There's no real difference between a '32mm' and '45mm diesel'....

Sadly many people at the exhibition won't even know what gauge they are looking at anyway.

So it's a bit irrelevant unless one has a locomotive to say 1:19 scale and represents a specific 2ft/60cm gauge prototype, a Funkey (or funky maybe... afro ) diesel perhaps.

You can explain and demonstrate that you can adjust the wheels if you wish.

There is a remote possibility I could add a 'third rail' and make one loop dual gauge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RailExpo 2011   Today at 2:24 am

Back to top Go down

RailExpo 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Events-
Jump to: