Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Similar topics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

PostSubject: Similar topics   Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:47 am

I am not a puritan at all but has anybody else followed the 'similar topics 'heading in the bottom left of each thread?
Some take you straight to sites that are hardly for public viewing but at the moment they are what is keeping my interest going! ! (perhaps one of Carls clever ploys!)

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Similar topics   Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 pm

It only shows for 'guests' if you are not logged on.

It links to supposedly similar subjects (similar word matching) on other forums sharing these servers.
It's a way for the hosts to generate more traffic; There should be no adult content....!

If there is then let me know (...the URL... Wink )

I can switch it on for members too or I can switch it off altogether. Unless anyone objects I will leave it.

Some of the similarities are a bit stretched....
Latest Lego releases and similarly Question scantily clad Indian actresses.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Similar topics   Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:37 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
It only shows for 'guests' if you are not logged on.

It links to supposedly similar subjects (similar word matching) on other forums sharing these servers.
It's a way for the hosts to generate more traffic; There should be no adult content....!

If there is then let me know (...the URL... Wink )

I can switch it on for members too or I can switch it off altogether. Unless anyone objects I will leave it.

Unfortunatly Carl, the 'adult' sites do show up...

I noticed on the topic about the RailExpo2011 one of the 'similar' topics is called: "Trip ke betong ahad 19/6/2011". See picture below.

Hoping to perhaps see another nice modelrailroad site I followed the link and came (redirected?) on this: http://gersang.ace.st/t610-trip-ke-betong-ahad-19-06-2011-lusa
Now, I can't read whatever that language that is, but the bloke with his hands in its trouser has nothing similar with model railroads as far as I can think.

So, hoping this was something 'on the edge' I did some looking around on the site if this was just an exception. But it was not...

This one was on the topic "Are videos hard to do?". Notice the last 'similar topic'

And this one was on the topic "Great (and long) Garden Railway video". Notice the first 'similar topic':

I think the 'similarity' is just to be found in keywords in the topic title. If this is indeed the case than we have lots of shady keywords in our topic titles (like: models, modeling, photo, picture, movie, video, large and even live steam) that trigger this sorts of links.
But even if we are very cautious on how we put things in the topic title you can see in example 1 (RailExpo 2011) that even a normal year number comes up with a doubtful link...

So perhaps it is indeed better if you could switch it off. I would not miss it(watch it; I wrote "miss"... what will show up now!?).

Oh, BTW... about the last 2 examples, I don't think Clive had anything to do with it, that just a coincident I guess lol!

Paul
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Similar topics   Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 am

I've switched it off now. To be honest I'm getting a bit fed up (and bored... Sleep ) of being redirected to sites that show content that I'd rather not see. That's on the internet in general not just here.

I'll also contact the forum host providers because (although the most I've seen is a pair of boobs and a string..... Embarassed ) the content is often undesirable or banal.

I had hoped there might be like minded modelling type forums about, but no. No
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Similar topics   Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 am

I know what you mean. On my gallery there are shown very doubtful "dating site" adds after 22:00 hr. Very nice if I sent my mother the link with some new pictures of her grandchildren...

Perhaps it's an idea to sign cgtrains on to modelbuilding Webrings to generate more traffic?
Like: Model Railroad Webring or Narrow Gauge Rail?

Last edited by Paulus on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : layout)
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Similar topics   Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:34 pm

'Trip ke betong ahad' is Bahasa Malay - it roughly translates as the Sunday trip to Betong. Sounds like he had a good time in Betong. Rolling Eyes

I wonder what's in the "SS Videos"? Evil or Very Mad

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Similar topics   Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:12 am

It is unfortunately becoming more and more common. Being bit of a "Russianphile", I used to like the site "English Russia" but it is just getting too "off topic".

PostSubject: Re: Similar topics   Today at 3:40 pm

Back to top Go down