Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What do you think of this banner?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Read the post, look at the banner and tell what you think of it! (and why?)
Bad idea, because...
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
I don't know, because...
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Good idea, because...
100%
 100% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
Paulus

PostSubject: What do you think of this banner?   Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:14 pm

In a former topic the problems with 'similar links' was discussed. Carl hoped he could track some traffic to the site that way. Now I had the idea to make a simple banner (see bottom) for our site that can generate (some?) traffic if we use it on other forums we visit as signature at the bottom of our posts there.
The banner shows the new website address (www.cgtrains.com) but in some cases it's possible to make it clickable by using a html code (like the one at the bottom of my post).

The banner is a try out (needs a better picture for start) and it's open for all ideas!
So, tell me what you think!

Paul

Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Looks good to me, a nice banner...! But I'm a bit confused on where and how you would intend it to be used.

I could probably place it as a page footer or are you (Paul) thinking of using on every post/reply? That might be a bit too much and make the posts a tad too big.

Although some American forums have huge personal signature banners and get along ok..

.....BTW what's wrong with the picture (Renault ABH8 CFC)? Do you mean a better resolution or better subject....? Neutral
Back to top Go down
fm12

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 pm

I might be out on a limb here,but I think a steam loco in the banner would look better.Otherwise Carl you could rotate images,say every 3 months.

LEVEL TRACK HERE NO NEED FOR R/C bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncecheers
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Oh hell !!! sorry folks I think I may have screwed it up by accident - it just came up as poll closed after I clicked to close the poll results.

I don't like the idea of tagging it onto my (few) posts, I actually hate all that stuff when I visit forums.

The banner itself is good though.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:31 am

Must admit i like the banner as a publicity tool, but dont like the idea of attaching it to all my posts. Re the picture :can somebody take a photo with a steamer and a diesel side by side, that could keep us all happy?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:26 am

Send me some nice pics then. cyclops

Preferably not British though....

The reason for The railcar (autorail) is historical and personal. My attachment to them goes back 30 years.
If you have ever seen or better still travelled on one you will appreciate it.

Renault ABH8

Alas no more. 2 still exist in working order but are not permitted to run because of new saftey equipment regulations.

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 am

Personally i like the present picture, as the red blends in well with the forum 'colours' but nice to have a steamer as well!
I cant take pics like that 'cos i have no diesels but i know a man who has!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for the replies!

The intention was indeed to make a banner that can be used by members of cgtrain in their posts on other forums. That is offcours, if they post on other forums (I myself only post on MLS and this site).

Just like this forum most other forums give the possibility to make a 'signature' for your posts. This signature can contain text but also a picture. Once made the signature with the banner it shows normally at every post you make on such forum.

We can use them on our forum, but that would be a bit pointless... Rolling Eyes Razz

I did thought (and understand!) some of us dislike that idea. In that case don't use it Wink
But I believe that on some forums (like ours) it's also possible to decide on each post if you want the signature to show or not.
Also on many forums their is mostly some sort of a viewing option so members/viewers can decide to read the forum with or without showing avatars and signatures.

On many (American) sites it's a very common thing (I myself visit the MLS forum and many people have banners to their own blogs, or site, or to those from clubs, shops and businesses).

The banner itself is in GIF format and not big at all: only 7 kb (that is about 3x this icon: ).

Oh and Carl, there is nothing wrong with the subject of the picture at all (I love it actually!!). It just needs a better resolution.

If most of us like the idea itself than we can decide to make a few different banners so each of us can choose which one he likes, for the pictures as well as for the size (and if you want to use it or not off course).
Perhaps we can place them in a 'sticky' post from were we can copy and paste them?

Paul

Smile

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 am

pjti wrote:
Oh hell !!! sorry folks I think I may have screwed it up by accident - it just came up as poll closed after I clicked to close the poll results.

Mmmm... And I can get it to work anymore... scratch
O well, the discussion is ongoing and thats what counts! pirat

Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:22 am

Paulus wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

The intention was indeed to make a banner that can be used by members of cgtrain in their posts on other forums. That is of course, if they post on other forums (I myself only post on MLS and this site).

Just like this forum most other forums give the possibility to make a 'signature' for your posts. This signature can contain text but also a picture. Once made the signature with the banner it shows normally at every post you make on such forum.

We can use them on our forum, but that would be a bit pointless... Rolling Eyes Razz

Smile

I understand a bit better and yes that's a good idea... Laughing if people are visiting other forums and directly promote this one. king

Personally I would tone down the red colour a little. The 'red' used on this forum is #CB2525
Also maybe change the colour of the URL text to cream and make it bold. The pictures to satisfy everyone could be a diesel one side pointing to centre (like the autorail). It directs your eyes towards the middle and a steam engine the other side doing the same.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:49 am

Quote :
Personally I would tone down the red colour a little. The 'red' used on this forum is #CB2525
Also maybe change the colour of the URL text to cream and make it bold. The pictures to satisfy everyone could be a diesel one side pointing to centre (like the autorail). It directs your eyes towards the middle and a steam engine the other side doing the same.

OK, good idea! I'm working on it now (rainy days last weeks so nothing much to do in the garden anyway...).

I also tested it on MLS and it seems to work; check this topic for example.

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:30 pm

mmmm like the banner but definitely do not like it as asignature, it might only be 7k but all those other 7ks add up in addition to the pictures. Not for me Paulus, and I think if I started reading threads punctuated with such I would stop reading the forums, actually its the whole reason I dont do The MLS thing anyway

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:37 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Patrick on this one.
I was going to post further but it's not really my place to do so.I'm going to sit on my hands and avoid the keyboard Wink
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:35 pm

OK, we have pro's and con's than. That was why I put it in a poll in the first place. So any opinions are welcome, no need to hold back.
And please get me right; I do not want to push anything; it was just an idea to generate more traffic to the site as I believed that was an intention.

As said, on most forums (also on this site) members can choose in their account preferences to read the topics without avatars or signatures. This is an option for those with slower internet connections (I do not always realize not everybody has the same connection abilities) or for those who find them disturbing. So actually that won't be a problem I think?
Just change your viewing preferences and they are gone! pirat

Well, this afternoon I made some new ones following Carls ideas (I think I'm closer to the red now, I can't give in a colorode but I managed to make a screenprint of the forum and copied the red in the banner. And the 2 pictures pointing to the middle. I used pictures of models (cause we are modelers eventually).
Some banners with diesels, some with steamers, some both. Very Happy
As you can see I shamelessly used some pictures from Mikey and Carl that I found on the forum. Embarassed But these are just for example.
Also some smaller, more discreet ones. Wink

Well, before I go any further with it I'll just wait and see what is gonna be the outcome on it.

Paul

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:45 pm

thanks Paul. hope you dont mind but I've saved that last one (with my tram loco) for use when i visit other sites!!Ta

mikey
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Don't mind at all Mikey! Glad you like it!

I just notice that the second and third are a bit hazy on the text...

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:13 pm

That's nice. I shall use that somewhere.

Certainly as an e mail signature for railway business.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 am

Glad you like them Carl. Those are a bit more subtle than the red banners.
I use the last one on MLS as a clickable signature. So it directs people to the site when they are nosy enough to click it Cool

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this banner?   Today at 2:20 pm

Back to top Go down

What do you think of this banner?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: