Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Continental Garden Trains

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Chemin de Fer Juruth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Paulus

PostSubject: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:15 pm

OK, since most of us here have 1 ongoing topic on the progress on their garden railway (with a sidetrack to another topic now and then) I just follow the crowd and start one too (instead of lots of loose end topics - that I have trouble to find back again Embarassed ). Well... here we go.

Last days I worked on repairing my roads. I used hypertuffa last year to make roads. Living in a country where rain is (unfortunately) served on almost daily base most of the year I found the hypertuffa suffered strongly from the weather on horizontal parts (read; roads and platforms...). Perhaps I did not mixed it in the right amounts or I can perhaps better use sand in it instead of soil/peat. Or perhaps I've let it dry to fast...
Anyway, the roads got full with holes and turned very dark.

I decided to go over it with a layer of portland cement mixed with fine sand. I also went over the station platform and loading dock (the platforms were concrete and the dock was hypertuffa, but much more harder than the roads) so it becomes more the same instead of separate casted parts.
I covered the whole with plastic bags after gently spraying water over it. Than I left it covered with the plastic for several days. This way the mixture (concrete?) dries slower but will get harder.

On the picture you can see the results. The covered part was the road that got the same treatment after the station part was done.

You can see the station needs a touch up also!

The sidetrack is embedded in the platform at one side. Perhaps the other side will follow also, not sure yet.

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Now the roads gets a new top layer the railway crossings must look sharp too. I used strips of wood (collected on Newyearsday from old fire-arrows) and superglued + nailed them on the sleepers. The wood will turn more grey in time (or otherwise it will be painted) and hopefully the nails will get nice rusty look Twisted Evil

Sorry for the bad quality pics. It was getting dark...

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Nice pics again Paul - i do like the dock, very natural-looking

Clive

Fat Controller of the S&CGR

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks Clive!

I removed the plastic today and now you can see how the next part of the road turned out.

The walls are styrofoam strips covered with a mixture of portlandcement, sand and PVA glue (inspired by the chateau walls made by Mikey). Stones were scribed in when the mixture was still a bit wet. Than it was gently sprayed over with water again and covered with plastic for several days to prevent to fast drying.

The little brownish spots on the bottom of the walls are bits of moss and sand and a bit fertilizer pressed is the wet cement. Hopefully they will form a green border between the roads and wall next year.

The crossover is starting to color!

The gatekeepers house has gotten a higher sidewalk. Hopefully this will prevent the building against rainwater (it's a low spot) and 'road spray' during rainfalls.

It's not completely cemented; I used bits of styrofoam to raise and than covered with a layer. It's pretty strong though I doubt if its wise if I stand on it...

On this last picture you can see the difference between the new road (below the tracks) and the old and damaged road surface from hypertuffa (above the tracks).

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Just need a Billard 80 railcar and it could be any CFD from the 1950's, very nice. Smile

How did you get the concrete so smooth. What mix did you use exactly for this hypertufa stuff?

Everytime I tried it in the past it just cracked and disintegrated after a couple of days despite spraying and covering.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks Carl!

Well, "exactly" is a bit of my problem... I varied it so much that I don't know for sure actually... But I believe my standard would be more or less the following mixture for the hypertufa:
1 unit portland cement
2 units peat (I used more like a mixture of soil and peat because I could not find pure peat)
2 units of perlite

I had this receipt (or the idea for it) from this thread (what was originally published on G Scale Mad): Options to avoid sharp corner, & steep grade ( Hind sight is wonderful)

If I'm correct the loading deck was originally made with this mixture and dried up reasonable hard. Also some rock surfaces were made this way and still are fine.
I believe I made the mistake to add more perlite and/or peat-soil in the mixture used for the roads last year. I found out this was not very solid and it cracked easily. Also rain made holes in the surface (specially on spots underneath the tree, when water is dripping from the branches at the same places). I can imagine that hypertuffa is actually not really suitable for horizontal / flat surfaces.

The mixture I used for the road repair is not hypertuffa any more, but more cement like:
1 unit portland cement
2 units fine sand ("silversand")

For the mixture used on the wall I added a big splash of white PVA glue.

For getting a smooth surface I simply used a cheap paintbrush. I bring the mixture on and spread it out with a trowel. Than I go over it gently with the brush. This way I can flatten out the trowel strikes/lines or smoothen bumps and let the new poured cement flow over nicely into the existing parts. Sometimes, when the surface gets to hard or sticky I use a spray bottle to wet it again with water and than use the brush again.

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:42 pm

About a week ago I started to make a old castle or ruin kind of building on top of the "hill".
I decided to experiment further with styrofoam and portland mixes and see what it will bring.

First steps; rough forms with styrofoam (if you look closely you can see a half finished little Gn15 engine that will run on the hill).

The styrofoam is glued together with white glue. Wooden skewers are stick trough the foam to secure it in place.

East side:

West side:

Next I filled the inside with a hypertuffa mix. I used 1 unit portland cement with 2 units perlite and 2 units crushed sand (the one that you brush between new walkway tiles).
A thin styrene sheet is used as temporary 'ceiling' in the tunnel. It will be removed when the hypertuffa is hard.
I think when you build just plain buildings using the foam it is not necessary to fill it with hypertuffa or concrete or something. However I decided to fill it because of the tunnel and also because this is a favourite spot for neighborhood cats to jump up my fence. I will have to give them something stable to use as springboard, just foam would not be strong enough Wink
I covered the thing with plastic and let it rest for a few days.

Filling:

Pieces of brick and styrofoam support the thin plastic sheet under the (small) weight of the hypertuffa. If this was concrete, it would have turned into a disaster due to the concrete weight...

After the hypertuffa had dried up under plastic cover (garbage bag is perfect for this) the outside was covered with a mix of portland cement (1) and crushed sand (2).
EDIT: just forgot to mention I added a big squeeze of whiteglue in the mixture. This helps a lot to stick the mixture on the styrofoam! Also painting whiteglue on the styrofoam helps the mixture to stick. If you apply the mixture on the styrofoam without it, it can be frustrating because it will fall off easily...
A stone patern was carved in. On the top, some sort of cobblestones were carved. I used an old screwdriver for the carving.
Again, after applying the mixture and carving in details; cover it up again with plastic and let it harden out for a few days.

BTW; the top is flat, like some sort of square. This will form a base for a tower that can be placed on the top and easily removed when necessary.

You can still see the styrofoam 'base' in the portals.

Next steps: detailing the portals and some finishing touches.

Last edited by Paulus on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:01 pm

And on I go...

After the first layer was dry and hard enough I found the result a bit too 'granular'. This because of the used crushed sand. I went over it with a new, thin layer of a mixture using fine sand (silversand). This filled up the original grooves so I had to go over it again. But the result was a more flatter stone surface.
I than made the portal stone details. I used the same mix but added some soil/earth/dirt (just grabbed it out of the garden) and a dollop of whiteglue to it. This made the the mixture a bit feel like dough or paste. It now can easily applied and sculpted.

I also used some of it to make 'stones' on the lower tunnel portal.

As said, a little Gn15 railway is planned to make its runs around the little hill and through the building.
A solid base is made on the westside. I used the hypertuffa mixture as described above.

It than is covered up again with plastic and is now drying for the next couple of days.

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Fantastic work Paul, a ton of character in that little scene! Cool

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Paul, I take it the intention is to have the Gn15 line operational? What will you be using for motive power source?

Clive

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Looks like a bit of recycled Roman civil engineering - which is to say it looks great.

How does the white glue stand up to the rain (you do have rain in Nederland, don't you)?

I've seen a demonstration of a concrete/styrofoam mixture for building 1:1 scale houses. It's supposed to be very energy efficient.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks guys!
Yes, the Gn15 will be operational. I'm using a mixture of Roco and Peco track. I had some out in the garden for more than a year now and they still look good; no corrosion at all.
The motive power from the engine I'm building is a Lima 3 axle H0 scale bogie (from an old Lima engine). It's powered by a 9 volts battery.
Had some picture somewhere but can't find them anymore... I'll make some new pictures of it soon.

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Sounds interesting - I tried using a Tenshodo motor block, but it really doesn't like the outside track.

Clive

Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Those Tenshodo are too delicate, I guess. Just use a robust H0 toy train engine pirat

BTW, almost forgot to answer Bill's question!!! The white glue holds good in rainy climate. Since I've read the book Practical Garden Railways by Peter Jones I use it to 'seal' buildings as well. Peter Jones layout was located in a very rainy and windy British climate and he swore by the use of the whiteglue as protection. He had build wooden structures that had a whiteglue treatment and stood up perfectly for many years in the outside (with some maintenance).

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Great work Paul. I like to work in concrete too.....solid results !

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 pm

This hypertufa stuff is a work of art, something I never quite mangaged before. It just resulted in a dismal crumbly peaty mess.

I need some tips.

The trackwork in the tunnel is excellent, looks like a real railway. Smile
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:42 pm

I just caught up with this thread, great work as Clive said a very character full corner. Looks like we need a 'Hypertufa teach in' sometime.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Yesterday we had a visitor all the way from Texas!
He arrived with the first train from Saint Aubin du Thenney:

You now already know who it is? If not, it was Bill (KleineDicke) who had the courage to face Belgium highways to drive from Normandy to the Netherlands for a visit to the CFJ.

And if that wasn't enough he brought some delicious cider with him! cheers (BTW Thanks Carl! And sorry Bill, I realized I've kept it all for myself... ).
We had a great time and a lot of fun and my wife and kids found it very nice to meet Bill also. We did not spare Bill... he even had to meet my mother and father in law and some friend that came over... And Bill learned us a lot about the States that you won't learn from Discovery or CNN, like that there is nobody living in Detroit anymore lol!

Here we are:

And some other shots from Bill's nice railcar crawling it's way on the CFJ narrow curves without any problem. We were very lucky with the weather; a nice sunny october afternoon (today rain's pouring down...)

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 am

I enjoyed myself at Paul's house. Belgian highways werent too bad; the drive into Antwerp to find my hotel was a challenge, though for both me and the little lady in my GPS.

When I arrived, the dining table was covered with trains etc., so I knew I was in the right place. His layout is nicely done - looks better in person than in photos. The hospitality was great as well - thanks again Paul.

Back to top Go down
philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37 am

That's a marvellous little railcar and such a brilliant setting!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Great photos and really nice to see this happen. Bill has done some serious travelling to take in Continental trains and visit us.

It's also very strange to see this railcar in the U.S.A., St Aubin du Thenney and now in Holland.

Where are you now Bill?
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Wednesday evening and I'm in Goussainville, near CDG Airport. I just drove down from Antwerp. Alas, I must say adieu to my CGT friends and board a flight home tomorrow. But as Arnold says, "I'll be back." I am already working on an invitation for a visit to our plant near Marseilles. Maybe my railcar could visit the Tramway Demiel?

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm

A few more photos:

Image hosted by servimg.com

And as proof I wasn't the only one playing with trains:

I was very impressed with Paul's layout. Although small, it is very well executed with great landscaping and nicely chosen plantings. Plenty of focal interest. cheers

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:38 pm

What a good "get together" across so many miles!

Make sure you include the Charente on your next trip Bill! Or are you still here?

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:05 am

Nice pictures Bill! Seeing your railcar running I'm thinking to invest in some better batteries for my trains.

And I'm still looking for the ' binding plug' to get the 2.4 GhZ set working again. Or I have to make a new one... Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: Chemin de Fer Juruth   Today at 12:13 am

Back to top Go down

Chemin de Fer Juruth
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Garden railways-
Jump to: